RIP Malik B of The Roots | The Boneyard

RIP Malik B of The Roots

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

They day I became a fan. Live in person. Horrible production but the lyrics stuck with a 28yo white guy from CT who needed to make some changes.

Last edited:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I didn't realize until now but the song Water was a song dedicated to Malik, referencing codeine ("water") and urging him to overcome his addiction.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I didn't realize until now but the song Water was a song dedicated to Malik, referencing codeine ("water") and urging him to overcome his addiction.

That's not even close to how I connected to his lyrics, 343 but that's the beauty of them.

Reaction Score
RIP. The Roots were cool as they were totally different having a full band. I wasn't a huge fan, More into Tribe, Gang Starr, Phaycyde, Wu tang, leaders, mos def, and Public but I definitely respected their music. I wonder if he died from his addiction.

Reaction Score
R.I.P.

People forget that for those first few Roots albums he was bar for bar a perfect musical companion for Black Thought, his addiction issues allowed him to be unfortunately swept away from the music scene.

Everyone lauds Black Thought as one of the greats (I never thought so, and think he's incredibly overrated as a solo artist) but Malik B would outshine him on a regular basis on their early work.

Reaction Score
Did the roots retire from doing anything other than being the house band for Jimmy Fallon? I remember seeing them a few times , especially at UConn in 04 with a full band which was awesome

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The Roots are beyond simply hip-hop/rap...they are pure music. A talented group of musicians, and I always loved their style.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
R.I.P.

People forget that for those first few Roots albums he was bar for bar a perfect musical companion for Black Thought, his addiction issues allowed him to be unfortunately swept away from the music scene.

Everyone lauds Black Thought as one of the greats (I never thought so, and think he's incredibly overrated as a solo artist) but Malik B would outshine him on a regular basis on their early work.
No offense, but this is the angriest anyone has ever made me on the boneyard. :)

Reaction Score
None taken, but name something he's released on his own that is comparable anything some of the consensus top 10 emcees of all time have put out? I've always viewed him as a "cameo killer" and he's in the vein of a Canibus for me. Absolute showstopping performances, however, please remember that any Roots album released is NOT a Black Thought solo album.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
None taken, but name something he's released on his own that is comparable anything some of the consensus top 10 emcees of all time have put out? I've always viewed him as a "cameo killer" and he's in the vein of a Canibus for me. Absolute showstopping performances, however, please remember that any Roots album released is NOT a Black Thought solo album.
I also don’t enjoy his solo stuff, but I do consider him one of (If not) the greatest for what he’s done with the roots. I guess I don’t deduct as many points.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
While I agree Malik B. was the glue for the early Roots projects. Black Thought is an incredible emcee in his own right. His 10 min freestyle on Funk Flex a couple years ago proved that to any doubters.

To each his own though.

Reaction Score
In reference to the past 2 posts, I do totally get what you're saying. On my podcast I did my top 50 emcees of all time list and I had him at #21 but everyone's list is so subjective I try to avoid arguments about it.

That freestyle was pretty godly, but again I'm just a bit harsher a critic. When I'm looking at truly stacking emcees up I weigh: impact, body of work, and longevity.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
In reference to the past 2 posts, I do totally get what you're saying. On my podcast I did my top 50 emcees of all time list and I had him at #21 but everyone's list is so subjective I try to avoid arguments about it.

That freestyle was pretty godly, but again I'm just a bit harsher a critic. When I'm looking at truly stacking emcees up I weigh: impact, body of work, and longevity.
Post your list as a separate thread. I'd like to see it.

Reaction Score
I'll send you a PM, threads about rap music usually aren't too well received. Take a look at it and maybe we can turn it into a thread.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Agree with Top 10/20/100 lists are always subjective. My top 5 list constantly changes based on what mood I am in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom