RIP Hilton Valentine | The Boneyard

RIP Hilton Valentine

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hilton Valentine, guitarist and one of the original members of The Animals, has died at age 77. He is most well known for the iconic guitar playing in "House of the Rising Sun" that made that song so mesmerizing. RIP Hilton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh man, losing so many sports stars and key musicians as of late. He was a key member of the Animals, I remember having several of their albums as a kid. RIP Hilton Valentine...loved your guitar playing with the Animals.

Reaction Score
"...and it's been the ruin of many a poor boy and God I know I'm one." Been a favorite of mine forever. May he rest in peace.
About the song; an old folk tune, in the early 60’s it had been a staple of Dave Van Ronk’s live show in NYC for years. Van Ronk tells the story that Bob Dylan “stole” it and recorded it on his first album. So Van Ronk stopped playing it live because people started assuming he had taken it from Dylan. He got a measure of revenge when Dylan told him he decided to stop playing it because people assumed the same thing about him vis a vis The Animals big hit.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Wasn't he also in Welcome Back Kotter?
I think most of the Hilton family might have been in Kotter. Besides Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, I believe Conrad and Paris were important characters too. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Amazing Song.
It gives me chills. The Animals version is the best. Its been in many movies and always fit in perfectly.

Reaction Score
I'm from Wallingford, and yes, Hilton Valentine lived here. He would give free performances at the public library once in a while.

Reaction Score
Too young for The Animals, but I'll take everyone's word as to how good they were.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Too young for The Animals, but I'll take everyone's word as to how good they were.
You can look and hear for yourself if you so choose. Don't take anyone's word for it. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom