OT: - RIP Hank Aaron | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Hank Aaron

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Lightning wrists. Always remember the All Star games when he and other legends (Banks, Clemente, Mays) used to beat the AL all the time so much so that as a Yankees fan I actually disliked the Red Sox less than the NL. After growing up I realized how great those players in the NL were.

RIP Hank.

Here is a post from Yahoo:

I used to love watching these reruns as a kid. The awkward interviews with the athletes as they watched their competitor take their hacks are classic. Lots more on youtube if you search.

Reaction Score
I heard on WFAN just now that Hank signed with the then Boston Braves because they offered him $50 more a month than the NY Giants. Imagine how many more rings the Giants would have won with Hank and Willie Mays on the same team. All over $50.
That wouldve been like having Mantle/Maris for 20 years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I used to love watching these reruns as a kid. The awkward interviews with the athletes as they watched their competitor take their hacks are classic. Lots more on youtube if you search.

That's not a bad payday when you consider Hank made $35K during his MVP 1957 season.

I recently watched a Netflix doc on Clarence Avant, the "Black Godfather". There was a bit in there about how he helped Hank cash in on the soon-to-be-broken HR record. As I can't link to the film, here's an article on how that went down.

RIP Hank. Dignity and class always.

Reaction Score
One of the greatest to ever play the game and still the HR leader in my book.
My baseball hero growing up in the 60's. RIP Hammerin Hank.
Edit; Cleaning out closets just last week, I came across a scrap book of Hank Aaron and the Braves 1968 year of his 500th home run. Line drives not balloon shots. 6ft about 175-180lbs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"The pitcher has got a ball. I've got a bat. So the percentage is in my favor."
-Hank Aaron

For the youth here:

-30 or more HRs in 15 seasons
-40 or more in 8
-If you take away all of his HRs, he still had more than 3k hits.

Just some unbelievable stats there that give you a sense of how long he was a great hitter.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
-30 or more HRs in 15 seasons
-40 or more in 8
-If you take away all of his HRs, he still had more than 3k hits.

Just some unbelievable stats there that give you a sense of how long he was a great hitter.
That's insane! Reminds me of how Gretzky would still be the NHL all time leading scorer even if you took away all of his goals. He had that many assists.

Reaction Score
Remember listening in the 60’s on my father’s car am radio at night to Koufax facing down Aaron. Talk about a matchup, they ain’t making them like they used to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom