RIP Guy Lafleur | The Boneyard

RIP Guy Lafleur

Reaction Score
Wow. Another sports legend has left us. He tortured my Bruins to no end and was probably the greatest I ever saw (especially in the clutch) before "The Great One" came along.

Reaction Score
Mike Bossy was like Ovechkin just over a much shorter period. Guy found the back of the net all the time and was a huge part of the islander dynasty.

Lafleur I remember real well against the whale. One of last guys to go helmet less and he was the unquestioned leader of the dreaded Habs

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Mike Bossy was like Ovechkin just over a much shorter period. Guy found the back of the net all the time and was a huge part of the islander dynasty.

Lafleur I remember real well against the whale. One of last guys to go helmet less and he was the unquestioned leader of the dreaded Habs
I would think Jean Beliveau was the leader, but a minor quibble.

Reaction Score
Mike Bossy like Don Mattingly had their careers curtailed by back problems.
Lafleur was a fantastic player.
I believe he played on the Bobby Orr teams.
They broke this Ranger fans heart many times.

Reaction Score
Mike Bossy like Don Mattingly had their careers curtailed by back problems.
Lafleur was a fantastic player.
I believe he played on the Bobby Orr teams.
They broke this Ranger fans heart many times.
Guy lafluer canadiens
Bobby orr bruins

Reaction Score
Guy lafluer canadiens
Bobby orr bruins
Guy was amazing, I could only watch on PBS (we had no cable)… the Canadians were so good I honestly thought they were the only team in the NHL!

Reaction Score
I swear Guy Lafleur had wings on his skates, he made life for my Bruins an absolute hell.

May he rest in peace.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was so good he would make you forget how much you hated the Canadians sometimes.

Reaction Score
RIP to both of them.. Tremendous hockey legends...BUT. Both were lifelong smokers (LaFleur a chain smoker) who both died of lung cancer. PLEASE, folks, if you smoke, STOP. TODAY.

Reaction Score
I would think Jean Beliveau was the leader, but a minor quibble.
You and Scotty0330 are both right: The elegant Beliveau's final year was 1971, the very year for the dashing LaFleur's career debut. Including the '71 season, the two helped Les Habitants to 14 Stanley Cup championships over a 30-year period.

Both were team leaders, although each had such talented and dynamic teammates. They happened to be my favorite players, Jean when I was a boy and Guy when I was a young adult.

RIP, Guy. And Mike Bossy, too, another classy and remarkably gifted player of a bygone era.

Reaction Score
It's funny how coincidences work. I was driving through Lafleur's home town, Thurso, QC and we passed the large bronze statue they have of him there. My son-in-law mentioned that :Lafl;eur's health was not good and. two days later, this news. I can tell you he's an absolute hero in the little towns along the Ottawa River where he grew up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom