RIP Gallagher

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Saw him at the Oakdale back when it was in the round. Great show. RIP brother

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gotta say, it will forever be hard to look at him the same way after the Maron podcast he did like 10 years ago.
I'll have to look that one up. Never heard it, but I understand he was very un-PC, Maron called him out, and he walked off.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Funny guy. I will wear a plastic poncho today in his honor.

Reaction Score
I'll have to look that one up. Never heard it, but I understand he was very un-PC, Maron called him out, and he walked off.
That’s not even the part I remember as much. He just comes across as a very bitter old man. Just launched into grievances about kids these days, how he should have been more successful, how we deserved a talk show instead of Leno or Letterman, etc. For someone who has always been kind of a hacky one trick pony comedian, was just a really bad look.

Reaction Score
I remember watching him on TV as a kid and upon hearing his death, went back and youtubed a few clips. Egads. Just really bad, unfunny, hack humor. Stand up has gotten so much more sophisticated and smart since the time sitting in the front row and getting hit with smashed fruits was enough.

Reaction Score
I mean a comedian’s comedian and a hacky comedian trying to talk comedy is rarely going to end well.
It didn't end well because Maron blindsided him. Gallagher was a part of the Maron apology tour.

Reaction Score
I remember watching him on TV as a kid and upon hearing his death, went back and youtubed a few clips. Egads. Just really bad, unfunny, hack humor. Stand up has gotten so much more sophisticated and smart since the time sitting in the front row and getting hit with smashed fruits was enough.
I wouldn't use Gallagher as a measure of where stand up was then vs. now.

Chappelle and Chris Rock are probably the only guys still performing I would put up there with Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Redd Foxx, Don Rickles...

Reaction Score
It didn't end well because Maron blindsided him. Gallagher was a part of the Maron apology tour.

What does your second sentence mean?

I'll be honest, I like Maron and I'm a big fan of WTF but sometimes his shtick as the "true comedy" gatekeeper or the arbiter of what constitutes legitimate comedy is a little irritating, but to his credit he seems to have loosened up a bit in that regard (money and success tends to do that).

But Gallagher struck me as a bitter mushroom cap. He reached out to Maron to do the pod, it seemed inevitable that the stuff that made him walk out was going to come up.

Reaction Score
What does your second sentence mean?

I'll be honest, I like Maron and I'm a big fan of WTF but sometimes his shtick as the "true comedy" gatekeeper or the arbiter of what constitutes legitimate comedy is a little irritating, but to his credit he seems to have loosened up a bit in that regard (money and success tends to do that).

But Gallagher struck me as a bitter mushroom cap. He reached out to Maron to do the pod, it seemed inevitable that the stuff that made him walk out was going to come up.
Maron burned a lot of bridges when he was younger. I always kind of liked him when he would go on his rants but he's done a lot of apologizing over the years for past behavior. Basically I think he mellowed out and realized he was an over the top judgemental d 1ck too often. I like him and think he's a funny guy. I've also heard he's a good dude.

Reaction Score
Maron burned a lot of bridges when he was younger. I always kind of liked him when he would go on his rants but he's done a lot of apologizing over the years for past behavior. Basically I think he mellowed out and realized he was an over the top judgemental d 1ck too often. I like him and think he's a funny guy. I've also heard he's a good dude.

My mom is obsessed with him and we ran into him once when my parents were visiting. Could not have been a nicer dude.

He always clearly had a lot of resentment of other comics' success. I remember cringing during the Rogan interview when he was breaking Rogan's stones for doing Fear Factor, like it was selling out to not be changing his cat's litter in a studio apartment with a loaded gun in his mouth like he was during his lean years. Not surprisingly he seems to have gotten over a lot of that. The old Louis WTF's where they hashed out their history were always fascinating.

(For pure comedy his old Jay Oakerson episode where Jay tells stories about driving hookers around and dressing up as Barney for a birthday party in the hood where he got beat up by a kid is a great one.)

Reaction Score

Chappelle and Chris Rock are probably the only guys still performing I would put up there with Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Redd Foxx, Don Rickles...
I would. He was not really in the Pryor, Carlin, Rickles era. He was in the Yakov Smirnoff era.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Comedy first got really weird from the mid-70s to early 80s. Steve Martin and Andy Kaufman were playing Carnegie Hall. Cheech & Chong had 3 best-selling albums. Albert Brooks was making Johnny Carson spit up his coffee. And you had Gallagher, who at that time, was wildly different, and initially, pretty damned entertaining.

Gallagher's problem, some of which he mentioned in the Maron podcast, was that his audience demanded the watermelons, and he buckled to that instead of evolving, thus he became a niche act as comedy moved away from jokes to the storytellers of the mid-90s through now.

But make no mistake, Gallagher had a solid three years or so from '78-'80 where he was a must-watch act.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just read how when he got too big for clubs and moved on to theaters, he set his brother up as Gallagher back in the clubs. Then his brother sued him for the name.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, kudos to whoever decided on "mushroom cap" for the profanity filter.
Lol, I thought that was a self edit by you to get by the profanity filter. I kind of smiled and thought to myself, well played. Even better that it’s automatic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom