RIP Dee Rowe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Dee Rowe

Reaction Score
Dee and John Toner were the architects of building UConn sports into a national brand on many different levels.. Others contributed but not with their impact.. Dee helped provide the canvas for the University and its Athletic Dept to perform its many memorable moments. JC was a primary beneficiary of Dee's wisdom and mentoring.

Always was able to find humor in any situation and had a ready smile for everyone. Defines the word ..Class..

RIP Coach... Well Done..

Last edited:

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Dee and John Toner were the architects of building UConn sports into a national brand on many different levels.. Others contributed but not with their impact.. JC was a beneficiary of Dee's wisdom and mentoring.

Always was able to find humor in any situation and had a ready smile for everyone. Defines the word ..Class..

RIP Coach... Well Done..
nice summation....
Thank you Dee & God bless

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
RIP, Godspeed

Reaction Score
Until his wife passed, he would routinely go to UConn hockey games with her and sit in our row next to us...(probably because we are the top row of the section)
I rarely bothered them other than the standard hello, how are you stuff...but i did get to have a pretty cool 10-15 minute conversation with him between periods once about uconn hoops including his thoughts on Kevin Ollie.
I also remember Bryant Shirrifs would stop by a few times and have a good convo with him. Just shows how he basically touched all facets of UConn sports. RIP

Reaction Score
A Life Very Well Lived.
An extraordinary man.
Class Act.
RIP Dee.
I wish I had made this comment. It is pretty close to perfect. Living in New York, I only had occasional opportunities to engage with him. When I did, he was always friendly, willing to discuss various topics, and all class. He graciously signed a book about Cousy written by Bill Reynolds which was dedicated to Dee by Reynolds who played for him at Worcester Academy. His impact on so many is a great testimony to his life well lived. God bless.

Reaction Score
Just the nicest guy in the world. I got to know him my senior year (1976-77). He was a great guy and a great coach. RIP coach.

Reaction Score
Until his wife passed, he would routinely go to UConn hockey games with her and sit in our row next to us...(probably because we are the top row of the section)
I rarely bothered them other than the standard hello, how are you stuff...but i did get to have a pretty cool 10-15 minute conversation with him between periods once about uconn hoops including his thoughts on Kevin Ollie.
I also remember Bryant Shirrifs would stop by a few times and have a good convo with him. Just shows how he basically touched all facets of UConn sports. RIP
my grandmother and her sister would sit in the top row handicap seats to the right of him. After his wife passed away he would not be shy to give them each a kiss as he took his seat. They had no idea who is was other than another guy at the game, we always told them he would be a catch!

Reaction Score
Sadness. I spoke with him several times at games and Final Fours. Couldn't have been nicer. Looked me in the eye and appreciated my interest in everything UConn.

Reaction Score
This is really weird. Woke up early this morning, used the bathroom and then tried to get back to sleep on the living room sofa. I started a train of thought about how many are saying that we blew the game to Creighton, to which my thinking is as Parcells said, "you are what your record says your are". Our point guard missed two crunch time foul shots. Not even close. I'm thinking it's not that we blew the game, but that we didn't do what it took to win it. So then I'm thinking how many of our past guards sink those shots, Napier, Walker, etc., and how Earl Kelley stepped to the line in the same situation in the Carrier Dome and announced "This game is over". I thought all the way back to how Joey Whelton would have strutted to the line to nail them. Then I thought about Dee Rowe, the coach of that team and what a nice man he was, and wondered how he is doing. That I hadn't heard anything about him in awhile. I thought about how he knew me only by sight and would always say hello, and he always had time for a down to earth conversation about UConn Basketball. I hadn't thought about him in a long time but did so quite a bit real early this morning. Weird.

Reaction Score
I was a random student office assistant for the women's team in the mid 2010s; very nearly a nobody in the realm of UConn athletics. Coach Rowe still made time to talk with me and give me advice on my future on a handful of occasions. One of the most sincere, caring men I've ever met. He had a way of making you want to be better, as a person not just in sports, and I find myself thinking the same thing tonight. RIP to a true legend and a very special man.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Had the good fortune to run into Mr. Rowe before a hockey game last year. It was a snowy night out, a nothing January game...and he was there an hour before puck drop, on the concourse, the kind of man you hope you can be at 41 at 91.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
RIP Dee

I was on campus from 71-73 (first two years at Stamford Branch) and remember the games although I was no where near the fan I am now. Basketball wasn't a big deal then. There was so much going on that sports took a back seat. I met Toner several times because I was a student rep to the Student Health Center but the only sport we were any good at at the time was polo. Anyway I love my school and could not have gotten a better education! I will hold up my UConn education against any in the world.

Reaction Score
This is really weird. Woke up early this morning, used the bathroom and then tried to get back to sleep on the living room sofa. I started a train of thought about how many are saying that we blew the game to Creighton, to which my thinking is as Parcells said, "you are what your record says your are". Our point guard missed two crunch time foul shots. Not even close. I'm thinking it's not that we blew the game, but that we didn't do what it took to win it. So then I'm thinking how many of our past guards sink those shots, Napier, Walker, etc., and how Earl Kelley stepped to the line in the same situation in the Carrier Dome and announced "This game is over". I thought all the way back to how Joey Whelton would have strutted to the line to nail them. Then I thought about Dee Rowe, the coach of that team and what a nice man he was, and wondered how he is doing. That I hadn't heard anything about him in awhile. I thought about how he knew me only by sight and would always say hello, and he always had time for a down to earth conversation about UConn Basketball. I hadn't thought about him in a long time but did so quite a bit real early this morning. Weird.
There are no coincidences.. A God-wink..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. Dee Rowe was a nice guy who seemed genuinely happy to meet everyone.

Reaction Score
I had a neighbor who was terminally ill in the hospital. This guy was well into his 90's. When I walked into his hospital room he immediately layed into me for looking sad. He said I should be happy for him. He lived a full happy life into his 90s. I am happy for Dee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom