Ring? Doorbell camera and floodlight cameras | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ring? Doorbell camera and floodlight cameras

Reaction Score
Any info or recommendations on a wireless camera-doorbell with iPhone connection capability? Thanks!

Reaction Score
I have the Ring Doorbell and the flood light on the garage. Highly recommend their products.

Same. I have the door bell wired into the original wiring and it charges the Ring. Its supposed to use the original door bell chime but that stopped working for me just recently so I have to go check the wires. Did a great job at me catching a kid stealing candy and me giving him a good chase.

Love the spotlight for the backyard. Needed some more light back there and it works double duty with the security cam.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I got the original Ring this summer. I like it on the whole. The Wifi connection should be stronger. My Ring connection was weak and I asked Ring about it because my WiFi connection was strong on my phone in the same location. They sent me a free extender/chime. It made the signal a bit stronger but still not perfect.

It was easy to install and I think it’s a deterrent just having it because people know it’s a camera.

I've been slowly working on an addition to my house (2 car garage and a room in the back), and I'm current looking at camera/flood light combos for the exterior, along with a doorbell camera that I'll likely never use as intended (I don't answer my door, but I'd like to know who I'm ignoring.

The wiring is in place for electrical for the flood lights, but I didn't plan ahead as far as the doorbell goes. Are the ring doorbells wired for power, or are they battery operated ? I'm assuming there is no wired bell, but an alert is sent to my phone?

Can anyone with flood light/cameras recommend ones with high quality video? I want to install at least one high quality camera facing my pond.

Another question: Are the flood light cameras motion activated, or do they run and record 24/7?

Reaction Score
Nest. I have doorbell and two exterior cameras that cover my
Detached garage and backyard. Have no issues and work like a charm. All professionally installed and hard wired.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Nest. I have doorbell and two exterior cameras that cover my
Detached garage and backyard. Have no issues and work like a charm. All professionally installed and hard wired.

Video saved to a cloud, or locally?

Reaction Score
I've been slowly working on an addition to my house (2 car garage and a room in the back), and I'm current looking at camera/flood light combos for the exterior, along with a doorbell camera that I'll likely never use as intended (I don't answer my door, but I'd like to know who I'm ignoring.

The wiring is in place for electrical for the flood lights, but I didn't plan ahead as far as the doorbell goes. Are the ring doorbells wired for power, or are they battery operated ? I'm assuming there is no wired bell, but an alert is sent to my phone?

Can anyone with flood light/cameras recommend ones with high quality video? I want to install at least one high quality camera facing my pond.

Another question: Are the flood light cameras motion activated, or do they run and record 24/7?

Ring can be used powered or battery. The newer models have long lasting batteries that are easy to charge. Regardless of wire/batter, it "rings" your phone and you can answer (or ignore). You can also get the extender/chime that rings from your outlet to give you an wireless traditional bell.

The Ring has been moderately useful, mostly when I'm away. It's been good to know that someone is at the door. Generally it's for a delivery and I'm able to ask a neighbor to pick up the package. Once there was a slightly shady solicitor at the door. I answered through the Ring and told him we're not interested.

Reaction Score
Any info or recommendations on a wireless camera-doorbell with iPhone connection capability? Thanks!
We looked at Ring, ADT & Vivint after my car was broken into in my driveway - our research led us to going with Vivint and we have not been disappointed. They came out and installed the doorbell camera, in-home tablet monitor/control panel and 3 cameras around the home. they have worked brilliantly thus far and the price was solid. definitely recommend.

side note - it's a lot of fun to talk through the doorbell microphone from your smart phone. I scare the beejezus out of my fiancé quite regularly :)

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Has anyone had luck with a security cam located inside to capture outside activity? Seems like most can't detect motion because of the IR being blocked by the glass.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I got the Ring battery powered doorbell on Black Friday. I think it's the midrange level, not the cheapest or the top tier. It works fine. The chime plays through an Alexa device. You can buy a stand alone chime if you want, or if hardwired, use the one you have. My hardwired doorbell quit 12 years ago and I've thrown out 3 wireless ones that quit. This one at least works. Settings are key to avoid it constantly telling you there is motion at your door.

Reaction Score
Ring doorbell has been way more impressive than I expected, strong battery life and covers a wide area. We just attached it to the outside of the garage to see packages being delivered, my wife works from home now so the front door is useless.

Reaction Score
I got the Ring battery powered doorbell on Black Friday. I think it's the midrange level, not the cheapest or the top tier. It works fine. The chime plays through an Alexa device. You can buy a stand alone chime if you want, or if hardwired, use the one you have. My hardwired doorbell quit 12 years ago and I've thrown out 3 wireless ones that quit. This one at least works. Settings are key to avoid it constantly telling you there is motion at your door.
I got a Ring doorbell about a year or more ago. As others have noted, it can be quirky. Almost never catches the mail lady. Guess she’s too quick. We also needed a motion sensor light over the garage that actually worked, and we went with a Blink setup. Light is motion sensor, but the camera is always ready. Caught a bear in our garbage can while we were in New Hampshire. Also have cameras for the doors in back and to cover the pool. All wireless, with a very longterm battery. The motion sensor light is hardwired. The Ring is also wired to the existing doorbell circuit. Paid for the yearly plans to store any/all videos. I’m good with what they provide at the price. I’d recommend.

Reaction Score
Had the ring but switched to nest. I had the original ring so take with a grain of salt, but the battery on that one was not removable and even hardwired the battery ran dead constantly in the winter. Eventually the battery stopped holding a charge so had to toss it.

Nest doorbell has been great, no complaints whatsoever, and pairs easily with other nest products

Reaction Score
Our second Ring is the model with no battery, all wired. Much better since the battery used to die in the winter.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Our second Ring is the model with no battery, all wired. Much better since the battery used to die in the winter.

Had three Ring motion flood lights. Hard wired. The lights stopped working and the bulbs could not be replaced. Way over priced all things considered.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I wanted a battery powered version 'cause I didn't want to mess around with any hard-wiring. I tried a cheap brand call called "Door Ringer" based on some seemingly positive reviews. It was garbage. So I got a Ring 4 and set it up wirelessly. It took about 10 minutes to mount and set up and works great.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have multiple Blink motion cameras around my property and they work well, but you definitely need to play around with the location to pick up the motion you are looking for. I do not know about the Ring's motion detection, but in general the motion cameras are much better at detecting and object/person moving across it's field of vision than moving directly toward it's field of vision. This can obviously be difficult when using the doorbell as cameras as typically the person will be walking up to your door.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I wanted a battery powered version 'cause I didn't want to mess around with any hard-wiring. I tried a cheap brand call called "Door Ringer" based on some seemingly positive reviews. It was garbage. So I got a Ring 4 and set it up wirelessly. It took about 10 minutes to mount and set up and works great.

Amazon Blink with a lithium battery works well. I don't have a doorbell version, but the battery operated outdoor motion activated cameras work great during the day. The night camera isn't great, but it's better than others I've used. Worth noting: it's $10/month to store the video, otherwise it's only good to watch real time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have two doorbells and a floodlight cam for our back patio.

Love them. Easy install and setup. The only issue is you NEED a strong reliable internet connection, especially for the garage one

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I prefer Nest products and love
Them!!!
I think they are very effective . Maybe a little too much so. We had a neighbor watch our house while we were on vacation a couple weeks ago. The subsequent watch back ( and real time alerts) were things that can’t be unseen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom