Ring? Doorbell camera and floodlight cameras | The Boneyard

Ring? Doorbell camera and floodlight cameras

Reaction Score
Any info or recommendations on a wireless camera-doorbell with iPhone connection capability? Thanks!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You may want to look at Arlo as well. Costco usually has the best deal on a 5 camera bundle. You would have to buy the doorbell separately or if that's all you want, that works too. I'm thinking about adding some Ring floodlights as well. Wired stuff is always more secure and reliable, but you can't beat the convenience of wireless.

Reaction Score
I got the original Ring this summer. I like it on the whole. The Wifi connection should be stronger. My Ring connection was weak and I asked Ring about it because my WiFi connection was strong on my phone in the same location. They sent me a free extender/chime. It made the signal a bit stronger but still not perfect.

It was easy to install and I think it’s a deterrent just having it because people know it’s a camera.

Reaction Score
I got the original Ring this summer. I like it on the whole. The Wifi connection should be stronger. My Ring connection was weak and I asked Ring about it because my WiFi connection was strong on my phone in the same location. They sent me a free extender/chime. It made the signal a bit stronger but still not perfect.

It was easy to install and I think it’s a deterrent just having it because people know it’s a camera.
Do you have a mechanical or digital doorbell? Reading about them seems as though the mechanical is an easier setup, but not sure how the WiFi would be changed... how do you add an access point? Or does any old extender work?

Reaction Score
Battery powered or hardwired.
No battery - power comes from low voltage wires which connect doorbell to chime device in house. Works great good peace of mind for reasonable price make sure you get latest model first model was not nearly as good.

Reaction Score
You may want to look at Arlo as well. Costco usually has the best deal on a 5 camera bundle. You would have to buy the doorbell separately or if that's all you want, that works too. I'm thinking about adding some Ring floodlights as well. Wired stuff is always more secure and reliable, but you can't beat the convenience of wireless.
Not sure I need the security system to be the most valuable thing in the house.

Reaction Score
Do you have a mechanical or digital doorbell? Reading about them seems as though the mechanical is an easier setup, but not sure how the WiFi would be changed... how do you add an access point? Or does any old extender work?
My old doorbell was mechanical. It may be easier because there’s one less step on install that seems a little hit and miss in the instruction, but I’m sure it’s doable with a couple tries.

WiFi wouldn’t be changed by the type of chime since that part is wired. You don’t need any chime for the Ring. Many people just attach to the front door and use their phone and/or a Ring wireless chime. The only problem with not having the hard wire is that you have to recharge the Ring battery.

Re WiFi, you can attach to your router or an extender in a normal way. You use your phone to set everything up. Ring also makes it’s own extender / wireless chime combination. It’s all set up through your phone and adds an access point just for Ring devices. We can now also choose lots of different chime sounds, including seasonal options. I wasn’t planning on buying it, but when I explained my WiFi situation Ring sent a free one. It has helped.

Reaction Score
Battery powered or hardwired.

The doorbell is battery powered and the flood light is hardwired. The battery life on the doorbell is really good. I charged it up the first day and I haven’t had to recharge it yet and it’s been a month. It’s currently at 61%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom