Revisiting the preseason conference polls | The Boneyard

Revisiting the preseason conference polls

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some teams are exceeding expectations; others have fallen short so far. I thought it would be fun to see how the preseason conference polls stack up in retrospect against the current Massey rankings.

Teams in blue have significantly exceeded the expectations of the preseason poll; teams in orange have fallen short. (I've interpreted "significantly" to mean a difference of at least 3 placings.)

1577491968244.png

* The Big Ten preseason poll only identifies the top 5 teams.

Reaction Score
What poll had FSU #3 preseason ?

Sounds strange...FSU was #12 in preseason AP....#13 Coaches.

Are you talking about how ranked within conference ? If so, Massey's national ranking makes no cross walk sense.

Reaction Score
Got it...OP confused me because comparing to Massey national ranking makes little sense.

There may be a correlation...but not directly.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Got it...OP confused me because comparing to Massey national ranking makes little sense.

There may be a correlation...but not directly.
A key phrase is "preseason conference polls," used in both the thread title and in the first sentence of OP.

Reaction Score
Xavier #8...yet #248 Massey...but not underperforming?

Nope...this data says little.

Reaction Score
This is just how media writers predicted conference rankings...and then compares current...before conference play even starts...Okay dokay

Plebe

Reaction Score

I appreciate your interest and scrutiny!

As I noted in OP, I made the arbitrary decision to highlight teams whose Massey-based ranking in conference would place them 3 or more spots away from the preseason conference poll.

Of course, that doesn't mean that non-highlighted teams haven't exceeded or fallen short of expectations. I fully expected readers like yourself to help fill in those blanks. So thank you!

Plebe

Reaction Score
The old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished," comes to mind...
Indeed it had come to my mind as well. As did the phrase "consider the source" :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Ok Billybud, what is confusing? The Big East media poll had Xavier placing 8th of 10 schools. Ahead of Marquette and Georgetown. Marquette has played exceeding well despite losing their coach. That is a huge miss. However, Xavier was viewed to be bad as 8 of 10 suggests. Massey says based on their current play, they are very bad at 248 of 352 schools. How is Xavier underperforming? Because Marquette overperformed? Because Georgetown has performed as expected? from 8th to 10th isn't really underperforming.

Now all that said, some of the preseason cupcake eating by some very bad schools is misleading the ranking even on Massey. Starting at the top, Colorado is way in over its head and will sink soon. Cal on the other hand maybe had too many of the coaches thinking losing Lindsey would hurt when most of us knew it would help! :rolleyes:
TCU isn't 3rd but they are playing better than what was voted on, Kansas on the other hand is terrible and will sink faster than a mob member off a boat on Long Island in cement shoes.
Fear not Commodore fans, I have faith that come conference play, Stephanie will again be outcoached and will assume her rightly place in the nether regions of the SEC basement. One more year and ye will be free of Miss S. White and the 7 Dwarfs won't be able to save her!
GaTech and NC have pleasantly surprised me! They will finish middle of the conference 7-10 range but much better than expected. Not sure if Duke can hold it's current placement though...ouch.. On the other hand, I am so dismayed over poor ND slumping like this...NOT.
Despite Geno's friendship with Harry, it's time for him to ride off into the sunset. Not only are they slumping, fans are not attending and it has been dwindling for years now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Auburn has been very disappointing so far this season.

Missouri is bad but Ole Miss takes the cake for worst in the league. I think Vandy hasn't been all bad at all but have had bad luck with the injury bug again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom