Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team | The Boneyard

Returners, newcomers fighting for minutes on deep, talented team

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He seemed particularly high Juhász and Ducharme. Auriemma compared Ducharme to former Husky Carla Berube for having quietly efficient and impactful games. “It’s going to be interesting to see where she fits in because I can see her having a really prominent role on our team,” he said. “What that means I don’t know, but she’s sneaky good.”

Juhász has dealt with a leg issue that’s limited her the last few weeks, but Auriemma has praised her for being a long, skilled post who is eager to make an impact. With the addition of Juhász and the growth of Nelson-Ododa, Auriemma said the frontcourt is already “a little bit ahead of where we were last year.” “I’m really, really, really glad that she’s here,” Auriemma said of Juhász. “She could be the difference that puts us into that other level.”

When’s the last time Auriemma had this much true depth, at least on paper? He gazed at the wall of All-Americans in Werth Champions Center and started going down the list. “Probably when there was Stef [Dolson] and Kaleena [Mosqueda-Lewis] and Moriah [Jefferson] and Morgan [Tuck], [Katie] Lou [Samuelson], Phees [Napheesa Collier], Bria Hartley.” Coincidentally, he forgot to mention Stewart. “That’s pretty good team,” Auriemma chuckled. “That was a pretty damn good team.”

My favorite UCONN team!

"Williams said she’s 100 percent after undergoing left elbow surgery over the summer. She had an ulnar nerve transposition and a scope in the back of her elbow. Other injuries include: Junior Aubrey Griffin (back), sophomore Mir McLean (knee tendinitis), Bueckers (wrist), freshman Saylor Poffenbarger (back)." And Juhász' leg issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When’s the last time Auriemma had this much true depth, at least on paper? He gazed at the wall of All-Americans in Werth Champions Center and started going down the list. “Probably when there was Stef [Dolson] and Kaleena [Mosqueda-Lewis] and Moriah [Jefferson] and Morgan [Tuck], [Katie] Lou [Samuelson], Phees [Napheesa Collier], Bria Hartley.” Coincidentally, he forgot to mention Stewart. “That’s pretty good team,” Auriemma chuckled. “That was a pretty damn good team.”
I caught the leaving out Stewie as well. I kept waiting for him to mention Stewie when he said Moriah. But he must not have meant all of those players were on the team together because they weren't - more like mentioning the best players from the 2010s. Stef, Bria, and KML graduated before Pheesa and Lou came to UConn.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I caught the leaving out Stewie as well. I kept waiting for him to mention Stewie when he said Moriah. But he must not have meant all of those players were on the team together because they weren't - more like mentioning the best players from the 2010s. Stef, Bria, and KML graduated before Pheesa and Lou came to UConn.
Yeah, the old memory doesn't always work. I like the 2012-13 team - Morgan, Moriah, Doty, Hartley, KML, Stewie, Stef, Faris, Stokes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, the old memory doesn't always work. I like the 2012-13 team - Morgan, Moriah, Doty, Hartley, KML, Stewie, Stef, Faris, Stokes.
And then 2015-16 with Saniya, Gabby, Kia, Natalie, Lou, and Pheesa replacing the graduates.

But probably the best roster depth is 2000-01. Here is a box score from early that year before the injuries. (People forget that the first player to go down that year was Ashley Battle who was showing signs of being a very useful disruptive force in her first 5 games. Not the star that Sveta and Shea were, but fast and defensive minded.)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
And then 2015-16 with Saniya, Gabby, Kia, Natalie, Lou, and Pheesa replacing the graduates.

But probably the best roster depth is 2000-01. Here is a box score from early that year before the injuries. (People forget that the first player to go down that year was Ashley Battle who was showing signs of being a very useful disruptive force in her first 5 games. Not the star that Sveta and Shea were, but fast and defensive minded.)
I vaguely remember how dominant we looked in that game and in the first six games of the season. Then I recall a game against Miami that we won, but the team badly underperformed and continued to do so. It wasn’t Battle going down. Years hence it came to light some chemistry issues on the team. Auriemma alluded to it when he quipped that Ralph and Abrosimova never passed the ball.

Btw, Schumacher was on the 00-01 squad, another great player, but not in this boxscore. Was she injured for that game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe as a fun exercise, with this 9 person deep team, what was the mpg distribution? The BE was much stronger so the minutes exercise is more realistic in tougher game scenarios

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Maybe as a fun exercise, with this 9 person deep team, what was the mpg distribution? The BE was much stronger so the minutes exercise is more realistic in tougher game scenarios
1633808113308.png

Reaction Score
Amazing. We have gotten too use to having players average 35-36 minutes a game. We need to get back to when even the best on the team didn't average over 30. Their bodies will be better for it over a long season. I think we will this year.

Reaction Score

Not sure that Dolson and Hartley played with Collier & Samuelson. The former pair graduated in 2014 and the later arrived for the 2016 season. Geno is likely lumping the rosters of that 4 year run. I think you'd have to back to the start of the 2001 season for a comparable group.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a great snip. 10 players who averaged over 10 MPG. And this year we have 14, not 11. I highly doubt anyone averages over 30 MPG this season. In fact, I'd not be surprised to see no one average over 28 MPG - I think the highest will be Paige and maybe CW. We will see.

SO many options for Geno. But for better or worse, there WILL be injuries this season. There already are right now. I would not be opposed to see a player like Sayor take a red-shirt this season. Not saying it will happen, just tossing it out there. We will see soon enough!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That's a great snip. 10 players who averaged over 10 MPG. And this year we have 14, not 11. I highly doubt anyone averages over 30 MPG this season. In fact, I'd not be surprised to see no one average over 28 MPG - I think the highest will be Paige and maybe CW. We will see.

SO many options for Geno. But for better or worse, there WILL be injuries this season. There already are right now. I would not be opposed to see a player like Sayor take a red-shirt this season. Not saying it will happen, just tossing it out there. We will see soon enough!
My guess is that Paige will still be above 32 minutes.

1) She is like a company's prima-ballerina. The game is just more beautiful when she plays
2) She will make Geno nuts when on the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are no guarantees when it comes to playing time. “Going in you would think that, yeah, [last year’s starters] have an edge over everyone else,” coach Geno Auriemma said. “How big an edge and whether that edge stays that way, that’s what’s going to show itself as we practice. “The competition for those top eight or nine spots [in the rotation] is going to be pretty intense and we’ve got a month to find out who they are. We have a pretty good idea of who some of them are, but we don’t have a clear, concise idea of who all of them are.”

This policy will make sure EVERY player goes as hard in practice as they possibly can. Last year's starters have to EARN their spots back again. They can't take anything for granted, and nothing will be given to them. The freshman and returnees know they at least have a puncher's chance of earning some minutes. Everything is w-i-d-e open.

That's all you can ask if you're a player. Give me a fair chance to compete and EARN my playing time. No "gimmes" You get what you earn. I remember Geno saying this summer that HE won't decide who plays, the players will.

I guess about a week before the Fort Hays State game, we can really get into some hot and heavy debates on the starting line up for the first two games.

Players may rotate in and out of the starting line over the course of the season. The debate will focus on the Fort Hays game, and the game against Arkansas. I can think of two players that may not start now, but who may be starters come tournament time.

In 2014, Geno removed two players (Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes) from the starting lineup after the 2nd game (Stanford) of the season. He replaced them with Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck. It can happen again. Remember, there are no guarantees. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I vaguely remember how dominant we looked in that game and in the first six games of the season. Then I recall a game against Miami that we won, but the team badly underperformed and continued to do so. It wasn’t Battle going down. Years hence it came to light some chemistry issues on the team. Auriemma alluded to it when he quipped that Ralph and Abrosimova never passed the ball.

Btw, Schumacher was on the 00-01 squad, another great player, but not in this boxscore. Was she injured for that game?
She played the first game in that year and was out injured for the next 6, but played the rest of the season averaging 16.9 mpg. The team had 14 players, plus Jessica Moore as a red shirt and Keirsten Walters as listed on the team (probably still on scholarship?) but no longer in uniform or on the bench I believe.
MPG for that year and games/starts:
Seniors
Sveta: 24.5 19/19
Czel: 5.7 27/1
Shea 23.7 30/30
Rigby 6.1 25/1
Shuey: 16.9 29/13
Juniors
Sue: 27.7 34/34
Asjha: 19.5 35/23
Swin: 23.8 35/33
Tamika: 19.9 33/3
Sophomore
Kennitra: 18.2 34/3
Freshmen
Battle: 10.4 5/0
Conlon: 7.1 23/0
DT: 24.0 33/14
Valley10.3 29/0

Carnac

Reaction Score

Well, we know that 14 players on any UConn WBB Team is too many. Geno has said that a 12 player roster is ideal. It allows for long and short term injuries, and it allows you to maintain enough players for practice. Saylor had back issues last season. If those issues persist, perhaps a redshirt year may be in order. That would be one less player to try and accommodate, and give her the extra time needed to be treated by the medical staff, and the time to completely heal., and be ready this time next year.

Anyone that has had back problems knows how tricky and sensitive it can be. There are going to be some very unhappy players on the end of the bench. They are players, and they want to play. They were the best players on their high school team. They came to UConn to play, not cheerlead.

Does Geno incorporate an "unprecedented" juggling act to try an get everyone some minutes, or do the players on the end of the bench simply wither away, and die? :confused: UConn's Geno Auriemma says sorting out loaded roster will be hard. You bet it will. We know there will be games that Geno will not see beyond the first two players on the bench. There are no less than 4 players vying for those two spots. But there will also be games that will for all intent and purposes be over by halftime.

Reaction Score
This seems like a 10-player rotation with Nika, Aubrey, Dorka, Azzi, and Caroline getting minutes with the starting 5.

Paige and C will play the most minutes. Hopefully C gets on the wall
Geno stated during media day, that it’ll likely be a core rotation of 8 or 9 players.

I’m assuming that’ll definitely include
Evina, CW, Liv, Paige, Aliyah

likely..
Dorka, Nika, Azzi

with the following fighting it out for meaningful minutes/those last 2 core spots
Caroline, Aubrey, Mir (depending on her development)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, we know that 14 players on any UConn WBB Team is too many. Geno has said that a 12 player roster is ideal. It allows for long and short term injuries, and it allows you to maintain enough players for practice. Saylor had back issues last season. If those issues persist, perhaps a redshirt year may be in order. That would be one less player to try and accommodate, and give her the extra time needed to be treated by the medical staff, and the time to completely heal., and be ready this time next year.

Anyone that has had back problems knows how tricky and sensitive it can be. There are going to be some very unhappy players on the end of the bench. They are players, and they want to play. They were the best players on their high school team. They came to UConn to play, not cheerlead.

Does Geno incorporate an "unprecedented" juggling act to try an get everyone some minutes, or do the players on the end of the bench simply wither away, and die? :confused: UConn's Geno Auriemma says sorting out loaded roster will be hard. You bet it will. We know there will be games that Geno will not see beyond the first two players on the bench. There are no less than 4 players vying for those two spots. But there will also be games that will for all intent and purposes be over by halftime.
It isnt unprecedented. Teams in rhevearly 2000s were big and lots of players got minutes. It can be dlne and he's done it before. It's just the topic of conversation since it's been so long since he had a big roster to juggle. He's a pretty good coach... lol. He'll figure it out just fine.

Reaction Score
Things we can infer? Geno is thinking about an 8-9 man rotation. He praised Juhasz and Ducharme. we have heard that about Juhasz . Ducharme has only been on the fringe of being a rotation member as a designated shooter ala KLS as a freshman. If she can hit 3's AND do other things she could end up as the first replacement at 2-3 if there is an injury.

But then I've always thought that most of Geno's public comments are really non-private messages directed to the players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

There were 5 future Olympians on that roster. Sveta plus 4 Americans, who combined for 13 Golds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Things we can infer? Geno is thinking about an 8-9 man rotation. He praised Juhasz and Ducharme. we have heard that about Juhasz . Ducharme has only been on the fringe of being a rotation member as a designated shooter ala KLS as a freshman. If she can hit 3's AND do other things she could end up as the first replacement at 2-3 if there is an injury.

But then I've always thought that most of Geno's public comments are really non-private messages directed to the players.

Yeah, Geno said 8-9. I count 10:

Paige
Nika
Liv
Christyn
Evina
Aaliyah
Aubrey
Dorka
Caroline
Azzi

Is there someone on that list who doesn't belong?

Carnac

Reaction Score
He seemed particularly high Juhász and Ducharme. Auriemma compared Ducharme to former Husky Carla Berube for having quietly efficient and impactful games. “It’s going to be interesting to see where she fits in because I can see her having a really prominent role on our team,” he said. “What that means I don’t know, but she’s sneaky good.”

Juhász has dealt with a leg issue that’s limited her the last few weeks, but Auriemma has praised her for being a long, skilled post who is eager to make an impact. With the addition of Juhász and the growth of Nelson-Ododa, Auriemma said the frontcourt is already “a little bit ahead of where we were last year.” “I’m really, really, really glad that she’s here,” Auriemma said of Juhász. “She could be the difference that puts us into that other level.”

My favorite UCONN team!

"Williams said she’s 100 percent after undergoing left elbow surgery over the summer. She had an ulnar nerve transposition and a scope in the back of her elbow. Other injuries include: Junior Aubrey Griffin (back), sophomore Mir McLean (knee tendinitis), Bueckers (wrist), freshman Saylor Poffenbarger (back)." And Juhász' leg issue.

He seemed particularly high Juhász and Ducharme. We've been singing the praises of Azzi and Dorka all summer. Ducharme has been mentioned here and there, but for the most part, flying under the radar. When it comes to Ducharme, we're like Will Rogers: "All we know is what we read in the Boneyard." There are some of you that have seen her play in high school, but we really don't know what she's been doing these last 6 weeks playing pickup games with her "elite" level teammates. Geno does. And he seems quite pleased.

Those games are where he made some of the observations he's been sharing, i.e., "Dorka is a full 6'5, Dorka is aggressive as hell, Azzi is stronger than I thought, Paige is working harder than everyone else", etc. We have not had the opportunity to see any of these players do anything except in one or two 11 second video snippets. I say all that to say this.......Geno really really likes Ducharme! SHE just may be a dark horse for us this year. She's already said she's playing with a chip on her shoulder. I

f these two players can not only live up to Geno's expectations, but far and away EXCEED them, man we're in DEEP cotton here. I think we'd better keep an eye on sweet Caroline. She just may turn out to be the cat's meow. ;) Now that practice has officially begun, we should get periodic reports from the media and the coaches about how the team collectively and individually is coming along. Who's killing it in practice, who's really separating herself (themselves) from the crowd, etc. A poster commented that when you want an honest evaluation of a player, go to Christyn. I hope to see/hear more interviews with her this season. I also hope she has a season to remember....for all the right reasons.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unless Aubrey dramatically improves her offense, I fear there will be a rotation of 9 excluding her.
Yeah, Geno said 8-9. I count 10:

Paige
Nika
Liv
Christyn
Evina
Aaliyah
Aubrey
Dorka
Caroline
Azzi

Is there someone on that list who doesn't belong?

Reaction Score
Unless Aubrey dramatically improves her offense, I fear there will be a rotation of 9 excluding her.
I do agree that Aubrey needs to get a midrange shot at least and be able participate in the offense. And what I am saying is that Aubrey and Mir need to do more than clean up the glass and get the ball and go to the rim. They need to learn how to be complete players and participate in working the ball around and getting to a great shot for someone else too....in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I do agree that Aubrey needs to get a midrange shot at least and be able participate in the offense. And what I am saying is that Aubrey and Mir need to do more than clean up the glass and get the ball and go to the rim. They need to learn how to be complete players and participate in working the ball around and getting to a great shot for someone else too....in my opinion.
I Agree. If Aubrey doesn't show a lot of improvement in her offense, she will get in the game when Geno needs her in the game. Perhaps to stop an opponent who is having a career day, but not part of the normal rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom