Rest in Peace, Bill Russell. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rest in Peace, Bill Russell.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Russell was one of the greatest if not the greatest. He basically invented the blocked shot as a weapon. Before Russell the mantra was defenders shouldn't leave their feet. And he did make a blocked shot an offensive weapon…Blocked by Russell, picked up by Sam, then Havlicek, sometimes Russell himself, led to an incredible number of fast breaks for the Green.

When I posted about his greatness, there were a bunch of posters here who questioned his skills. Look at his records what he did for the game. He was an incredible player who basically redefined the position.
I agree with this. I remember from childhood (mid-late 50's) watching pro basketball on tv. Red Auerbach and the Celtics really wrote the book on transition basketball and Russell was the centerpiece of that defense. As you said his blocked shots set up the fastbreak. Cousey and Sam Jones leading the fastbreak. Satch Sanders another great defender. Russell and Auerbach turned basketball games into a juggernaut of offensive speed through defensive intimidation. Russell was like a coach on the floor leading the initiation of the fast break. Very, very heady player who was going to impose his will against the entire opponent team. He must have a nightmare to opposing players.

Calhoun was very much the disciple of Auerbach. Turning defense into offense. Teamwork. Speed. Imposition of will. Non-stop aggression. This kind of game favors smart on-the-floor athletes who work together at both ends of the floor. Truly a thing of beauty and for fans very exciting to watch.
In some sense it became like taking the speed and defense from hockey and bringing it onto the basketball floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thought I'd post this. For non subscribers, maybe you have a free read. This is Kareem talking about Bill, and their relationship spanning many decades. Starting when Kareem was "Lew" in NYC, and the Celtics practiced at his HS before a game against the Knicks.

"I attended his games whenever the Celtics played the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, and I would watch them for four to five years when they practiced at my school gym. I learned how to dominate in the paint by applying defensive pressure. If you can deny the opponent any rebounds, it’s easy to have a fast-break game. If you can effectively block their shots, you force them to adjust their game into an offense they’re not as familiar with. Watching him, I realized that Bill seemed to know what each player was going to do before they did. He anticipated their move like a chess master, then sprang into the air to block them before they knew what was happening. He didn’t play one-size-fits-all defense; he customized his defense to fit each player."

Reaction Score
Thought I'd post this. For non subscribers, maybe you have a free read. This is Kareem talking about Bill, and their relationship spanning many decades. Starting when Kareem was "Lew" in NYC, and the Celtics practiced at his HS before a game against the Knicks.

"I attended his games whenever the Celtics played the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, and I would watch them for four to five years when they practiced at my school gym. I learned how to dominate in the paint by applying defensive pressure. If you can deny the opponent any rebounds, it’s easy to have a fast-break game. If you can effectively block their shots, you force them to adjust their game into an offense they’re not as familiar with. Watching him, I realized that Bill seemed to know what each player was going to do before they did. He anticipated their move like a chess master, then sprang into the air to block them before they knew what was happening. He didn’t play one-size-fits-all defense; he customized his defense to fit each player."

That attitude. Loved the clip at an award for him, where he looked at Shaq, Dikembe, David Robinson, and Alonzo and said “I’ll kick your ”. The place went nuts.

Reaction Score
My first basketball heroes were Russell and Havlicek. But I never understood how Russell blocked so many shots. I've come to the conclusion decades later that he was just smarter than the other guys.

Reaction Score
That attitude. Loved the clip at an award for him, where he looked at Shaq, Dikembe, David Robinson, and Alonzo and said “I’ll kick your ”. The place went nuts.
And in his prime he would have. The man just wasn't built to lose.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting this 5 minute video on youtube inside the link on Bill Russell. I think everyone should review it because it defines greatness that is composed of physical and intellectual ability with unselfishness and maximum effort. Out of that mixture came the confidence of ultimately winning because it was going to be a 100% effort on all levels by everyone.

Very inspiring and can be applied to anyone's life as well as athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom