requirements for a banner in Gampel ? | The Boneyard

requirements for a banner in Gampel ?

Reaction Score
Must you be an AA to be honored? I thought Crystal would get one. She had no real backup for her junior and senior years and I think she was outstanding.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that you have to be a First Team All- American. I am not sure if it is AP or some other organization or either one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My understanding is that you have to be a First Team All- American. I am not sure if it is AP or some other organization or either one.
AP for sure, but WBCA AA is also acceptable as with Morgan Tuck her senior year.

Reaction Score
Any AA nod gets you on the wall. First or second team or 10 player teams. This same topic was debated amongst boneyarders during Kia Nurse’s time at UConn. Many posters felt like she deserved to be on the wall, but she had not made any AA teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Any AA nod gets you on the wall. First or second team or 10 player teams. This same topic was debated amongst boneyarders during Kia Nurse’s time at UConn. Many posters felt like she deserved to be on the wall, but she had not made any AA teams.
Relative to Kia Nurse, I wouldn’t mind seeing NDPOY’s on the wall as well.

Reaction Score
AP for sure, but WBCA AA is also acceptable as with Morgan Tuck her senior year.
Going back to old threads, there was a post that quoted Doris Burke that there an unwritten( or maybe even written) rule that no more than 2 players from one team could be on the AP All American first team. Did the requirement as to first team AP change with Morgan Tuck because she was third man out on the AP teams but did make the WBCA team which has ten members? Either way, the Coaches poll is a much better barometer especially because when we have 3 All Americans on our team again very soon this will be a non-issue!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I wonder if Kia continues to excel in international ball and the WNBA, if that may tip the scales in a somewhat borderline case in the future?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Going back to old threads, there was a post that quoted Doris Burke that there an unwritten( or maybe even written) rule that no more than 2 players from one team could be on the AP All American first team. Did the requirement as to first team AP change with Morgan Tuck because she was third man out on the AP teams but did make the WBCA team which has ten members? Either way, the Coaches poll is a much better barometer especially because when we have 3 All Americans on our team again very soon this will be a non-issue!
Tuck was not an AP 1st team AA. She was a WBCA 1st team AA. As you point out, the WBCA chooses 10 players to their AA team.

Reaction Score
It has been 3 AAs on 1st team for a while. Just can't have more than 3.

Reaction Score
It has been 3 AAs on 1st team for a while. Just can't have more than 3.
The qualification for the wall is WBCA AA. UConn tries very hard NOT to be arbitrary with this honor.

The WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaches Association - Wikipedia) AA is sponsored by the NCAA. Each coach can nominate X (see below) players from his/her team for AA honors. Then a regional selection puts forward a number of candidates from these nominees. The "region" is not necessarily geographic and is composed of several conferences. The number of regional "nominees" for any one conference varies as to some formula so one region may get to put forward more "nominees" than another conference. Ten players for AA honors are selected from the regional "nominees".

Up until two years ago coaches were limited to three nominations. I think the limit is now four or more (which is how Muffett seemingly nominated her entire team the first year of the rule change.)

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Relative to Kia Nurse, I wouldn’t mind seeing NDPOY’s on the wall as well.
Yes, I agree that such an honor, given to just one player each year, should be a sufficient achievement to merit a place on the UConn wall. Every NPOY, of course, earns All-American status but I believe it was @CocoHusky who pointed out that Nurse was the first NDPOY not to receive A-A accolades. UConn could mitigate that indignity by hanging her jersey on the wall.

Reaction Score
Will the Polish and Croatian flags be added in the future? If the Canadian flag is there for Kia, shouldn't there be a Russian flag for Svet?
Yes, in your mind as in mine, if that’s what YOU wish.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kia continues to excel in international ball and the WNBA, if that may tip the scales in a somewhat borderline case in the future?
I think there are many UConn players whose jerseys may later be retired and she may be in that number which could then lead to the wall. Then again, I’d be crazy to think that...there would be no jerseys to wear if all the legends numbers were retired.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think there are many UConn players whose jerseys may later be retired and she may be in that number which could then lead to the wall. Then again, I’d be crazy to think that...there would be no jerseys to wear if all the legends numbers were retired.

The retirement of a number is more rare and a bigger honor I think than the wall. Never suggested Kia should have her number retired but if her case for the wall was "close", I think other substantial post graduate honors might go into tipping the scales

Reaction Score
The retirement of a number is more rare and a bigger honor I think than the wall. Never suggested Kia should have her number retired but if her case for the wall was "close", I think other substantial post graduate honors might go into tipping the scales
If UConn was to do that they would have to consider others such as Asjha Jones who was a WNBA all-star and is part of a select group of players with NCAA and WNBA championships plus an Olympic gold medal. I think there are 6 others from UConn who are part of this group (all 6 on the wall). Amazing to think of all the great talent that has come through the UConn program.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
The AA requirement is very good ( and smart) because it avoids judgement calls by coach that could be interpreted as insulting to non-recipients.
I'm not arguing for an arbitrary system, only one that includes National Defensive Player of the Year and/or All-American as a requirement.

Reaction Score
Almost, CD is on that wall.
I’m a proponent of having a rule and sticking to it, and making it more restrictive, not less. If everyone gets on the wall then it loses its meaning. But, that said, I think 11 national championships is good enough for to keep CD up there.

Reaction Score
I’m a proponent of having a rule and sticking to it, and making it more restrictive, not less. If everyone gets on the wall then it loses its meaning. But, that said, I think 11 national championships is good enough for to keep CD up there.
I think her induction to the Women's Hall of Fame qualifies her.

the 95, 00, 02,03,04 teams are also on the Wall of Honor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom