Report: UConn Will Pay Yale a "Guaranteed" $285,000 To Play the FB Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Will Pay Yale a "Guaranteed" $285,000 To Play the FB Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most people who use the Tax Payer subsidized, that is just a way to say you don't like it. The entire athletic program is taxpayer-subsidized including women's and men's hoops and baseball. As is the school. People in CT are ridiculous. They act like none of these arguments and or taxes has happened anywhere else in the world.

Classic CT in the fact if I don't use it, it is a waste of money.
You are right about that. The other thing is this idea that college athletics should be self supporting. It is pretty new. Maybe the last 20-25 years. Before that, it was a cost of running the university. Some programs might make a few bucks but that just reduced the cost of all the others. Really it is still that way for most Sports. Not to pick on women’s sports field hockey probably doesn’t run in the black. A few years ago when I looked at this, exactly 1 women’s basketball program in the country, UConn, made a “profit”. And that only because they had their own tv deal. And it was modest. Probably there are a few more today, to the extend that they split conference revenues and some portion of say the Big 10 media payments get allocated to Wisconsin Women’s Basketball, but I doubt there are many. So basically the whole system is subsidized. At State Universities it is subsidized by taxpayers in a fairly indirect manner.

Reaction Score
Many people became more critical of taxpayer or student fees subsidizing sports when coaching salaries started to skyrocket. I know 'covid and all of that' but how many millions of $ has UConn paid to coaches in our major sports over the last 18 months?

Reaction Score
Many people became more critical of taxpayer or student fees subsidizing sports when coaching salaries started to skyrocket. I know 'covid and all of that' but how many millions of $ has UConn paid to coaches in our major sports over the last 18 months?
A lot. They have contracts.

Reaction Score
Do you know what UConn‘s annual budget is? It is roughly $1.5 billion for the Storrs and regional campuses plus another $1.25 billion for the Medical School and hospital. Any loss from going to a bowl game is lost in the decimal places. Finally, most subsidy comes from students, not direct tax payer funds.

But here’s another way to save money. Let’s petition the Big East to move the Big East Tournament out of New York and Madison Square Garden. Everything is really expensive there. Hotels, meals, travel, even parking the bus. Move it to Santander Arena in Reading PA. Everything is WAY cheaper so the league makes more money to share with members. Plus it’s closer to the Midwestern teams.

As a general statement it’s true that governments don’t make money. You know why? Because they essentially provide community wide services. Gonna snow here Thursday. Youll be looking to government to keep the roads clear no matter the cost, I suspect.
But you raise a great point. Why should colleges and universities support athletic programs just really to provide entertainment for the general public? Let’s drop them entirely, or maybe just go down to D3. MIT fund raises to support its athletic programs. Each team is given a funding goal. Don’t meet it, no team next year. That would meet your criteria, I think.
Kind of a stupid post.

Reaction Score
If anything it feels a bit light to me. Yale is an FCS Team that can actually draw fans in the state of Connecticut. You'll probably sell more tickets for this game than if you bought a home game with a non descript G5 School like Arkansas State or Bowling Green.
After UConn departed the AAC necessitating piecing together an initial independent schedule, many people will take the positive. With most schools scheduled several years+ in advance and preferring a FCS 12th game, e.g., TCU, AD David Benedict appears to have succeeded. Not Bama's schedule and Yale may be more competitive than some people initially think, but consistent with many initial reasonable 2021 schedule expectations. 2022 and beyond, improving schedules.

Reaction Score
After UConn departed the AAC necessitating piecing together an initial independent schedule, many people will take the positive. With most schools scheduled several years+ in advance and preferring a FCS 12th game, e.g., TCU, AD David Benedict appears to have succeeded. Not Bama's schedule and Yale may be more competitive than some people initially think, but consistent with many initial reasonable 2021 schedule expectations. 2022 and beyond, improving schedules.
I agree 100%. I'm cautiously optimistic this independent thing will work out for us in the end.

Also, the quality of Ivy League football is much better than in the 1990s. Yale is good. It's going to be a very competitive game.

Reaction Score
Yale does well for not giving out athletic scholarships...and their fairly rigorous entry requirements.

Reaction Score
I think their $25 Billion endowment is enough to get them by. Why the eph is the state paying Yale anything. I hate that elitist dump. They don’t squat for this state.

pretty sure their endowment is over $30 billion now.

Reaction Score
Yale does well for not giving out athletic scholarships...and their fairly rigorous entry requirements.
Yale, and ALL Ivies dole out plenty of athletic, music, etc. scholarships. They are better known as grant-in-aids.
Sources: relative in Yale's Office of Financial Aid for a few decades, several good friends/ex-Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Dartmouth athletes (more than a majority generously admitted based on academic credentials and hockey, gridiron, lax skills), etc. Dated #s, but relevant insights (just multiple #s by 1.n):

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, the quality of Ivy League football is much better than in the 1990s. Yale is good.
A guy at work had a relation on the Yale FB team. He told me a coach told the players, "You're not here to go to class."

Reaction Score
I had a friend who was an assistant at Havard for the hockey program. He used to say we give financial aid based on need. If you are a great goalie and we need a goalie we will get you financial aid. Plus I believe most Ivies now use a tuition system that limits payment to a percentage of income. So if you make 35,000 it is $8500 but if you make 35 million you pay the full ticket.

Reaction Score
The Ivies are and will remain money making machines. Yale pretty much owns New Haven.

Taking over control of medicine along the coast, as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
About 10-15 years ago the Ivies started using their endowments to bring down the cost of attending, they are getting the middle class, two parent working family kids available to them. They also do not tackle or be tackled in practice during the season. Cuts way down on the hits. Plus the lifetime benefits of networking and now they are deepening the pool of talent available across all sports.

Reaction Score
1. Schools routinely pay lower tier schools to play at their home stadium - whether that’s a lower level or lower division. If you think Yale should pay UConn, by that same rational, should UConn pay Clemson for the right to play them?

2. Yale doesn’t have scholarship players, but Ivy League sports is attracting talent on a 4 for 40 plan. Spend 4 years on campus as an investment for the next 40 years of your life. Kids have also seen Yale and Ivy athletes go to the NBA or NFL at a decent pace. Would you rather get a scholarship to Indy UConn or financial aid at Yale?

3. This game will be more competitive than you think. Aside from the higher quality of Ivy football, UConn is severely diminished. This isn’t the Fiesta Bowl Huskies

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A guy at work had a relation on the Yale FB team. He told me a coach told the players, "You're not here to go to class."
Extremely relative. The Ivy’s attract world class student athletes. The majority of athletes won’t win a Noble prize or start Facebook - few ever will.

But the academic requirements for graduation at Yale are the same for every student. Athletes graduate at a +96% rate and almost all go on to some sort of professional career that exceeds any college football player who doesn’t play pro.

Reaction Score
I look at it from a contrarian point of view: when UConn A.D. AND NCAA President John Toner announced the realignment of college football with the creation of Division 1-AA (UConn at the time was Division 2 while Yale was Division 1) the Eli's & Harvard were miffed. Just recently Yale had been ranked # 16 in the nation in the final polls (Dartmouth was #20). Only Harvard, Yale, & Penn had stadia that complied with the new 1-A capacity requirements. (minimum 30,000). For the good of their conference, these 3 institutions grudgingly acquiesced & stepped down a division over the widespread disapproval of their alumni. Now that UConn is perceived as FBS (a.k.a. 1-A) it is correct to pay the guarantee.
I have 2 questions pertaining to this game: As Yale doesn't offer formal scholarships, why would the A.D. schedule this game as it doesn't count toward Bowl eligibility? And from the Yale point of view: Are the Bulldogs testing the water to finally upgrade to FBS status?

Edit: Princeton also has a stadium that exceeds 30k capacity
Yale will never play FBS football. The Ivy Presidents won’t allow it.

They’re not even allowed to play in FCS playoffs because they’re under a 10 game maximum schedule. The Presidents have been adamant about football not interfering with December Finals. Academics will always take precedent.

Reaction Score
I think their $25 Billion endowment is enough to get them by. Why the eph is the state paying Yale anything. I hate that elitist dump. They don’t squat for this state.
UConn, as a public university funded through tax payer dollars, is a far larger drag on Connecticut than Yale, a private institution.

Endowments play no part in the football rat race to schedule games.

Reaction Score
UConn, as a public university funded through tax payer dollars, is a far larger drag on Connecticut than Yale, a private institution.

Endowments play no part in the football rat race to schedule games.
Better check your facts. Yale pays almost no property taxes to New Haven. Yale paid only $4.9 million in taxes in 2018, but New Haven claims the University should be paying twenty-six times that amount. Yale has far far fewer CT residents attending than UConn. Yale is also reluctant to focus on commercially valuable research. The financial future of Connecticut rests with UConn given its new STEM and entrepreneurial focus.

Also, as of 2019 tuition and fees fund approximately 41 percent of UConn's annual operating budget. UConn's state support funds 26 percent, with the rest of the budget coming from auxiliary revenue, research grants and philanthropy.

Reaction Score
Better check your facts. Yale pays almost no property taxes to New Haven. Yale paid only $4.9 million in taxes in 2018, but New Haven claims the University should be paying twenty-six times that amount. Yale has far far fewer CT residents attending than UConn. Yale is also reluctant to focus on commercially valuable research. The financial future of Connecticut rests with UConn given its new STEM and entrepreneurial focus.

Also, as of 2019 tuition and fees fund approximately 41 percent of UConn's annual operating budget. UConn's state support funds 26 percent, with the rest of the budget coming from auxiliary revenue, research grants and philanthropy.
Which facts do I need to check? UConn, as you stated yourself, is funded through tax payer dollars.

Like major corporations, colleges have been given tax breaks since the beginning of time. That’s a systemic issue, not a Yale/Connecticut one.

Yale’s failure to focus on commercially valuable research is an arbitrary argument at best.

Yale is a self-funded, private institution - which affords the place the right to admit 0 CT students if it wants.

On the contrary, it’s the largest employer in New Haven, offering trickle down taxes in income, retail, and residential property tax revenue. Could /should Yale do more to help the impoverished, surrounding neighborhoods? Yes, I think they should. But again, that’s a completely different topic that has nothing to do with balancing football schedules.

Would love to hear your alternative. I know you have businesses and schools just banging on the door begging to take over property in the middle of bustling downtown New Haven. But big bad Yale is hardly dragging the city and state down. Look in the mirror of UConn athletics... horrible coaching contracts (Diaco, Ollie), an empty Rent paid for by tax payers for UConn, and the disaster that is the XL Center.

Reaction Score
All of this is completely off topic. It’s a cool, mutually beneficial game for both teams and for the state.

Yale would get paid for playing another FBS program. UConn would pay to play another FCS school. The market rate was paid here.

The idea that no payment should be made because a school doesn’t ‘need it’ is anti-capitalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom