Report Card vs St. John's | The Boneyard

Report Card vs St. John's

Reaction Score
9.0- A. Sanogo: Saved this team time and time again. Best game as a husky yet? And I was plenty happy when he made that first free throw to send it to overtime, no hard feelings for the missed 2nd. A whopping 18 rebounds, including the more or less, game winning offensive rebound in the end of regulation. Even got a couple assists!
8.0- R. Cole: Another great game overall. Love the 8 assists. Our maestro.
7.5- T. Martin: Does so many things right for us, and so few mistakes. His 3 ball has taken a leap this year, lets see some more volume?
7.5- A. Jackson: He has some of the best passes of the game, along with some of the worst. But I'll take the tradeoff. It's apparent he's improving every single game. Most improved player in my opinion.
7.0- T. Polley: Played his role to a T tonight. Looks like he's found his shot again.
6.5- I. Whaley: Stayed gritty. Better showing than some of his previous appearances. Trending up.
6.0- J. Gaffney: You can tell Coach has lost trust in him, and it showed in his minutes today. Not hanging my hat on this kid just yet.
6.0- A. Akok: I wonder if something's up with him, or if Coach also lost some faith in him. Whaley wasn't playing exceptionally well, there were minutes there for the taking. Also received the 7 minute treatment.

Player of the Match- A. Sanogo: The kid is back. Not to mention his fantastic performance against Seton Hall.
Game Notes- This fan base would have been in complete shambles had we lost that game. I don't even know what we could have pointed to? The guys played awesome defense the whole game, and ran a lot of great offensive sets. St John's just kept knocking down tough shots. Champagnie is THAT guy.
-Shoutout to the coaching staff for drawing up 2 great 'time expiring plays' at the end of the halves. Both gave us great looks.

Reaction Score
My only complaint is our customary 8 point collapse mid second half. Feels like it's getting predictable. We win this game by 15 without it.

It seems like the players and coaches get choked up getting into sets. Players need more direction from coach, but they've gotta play looser too. There's a palpable sense of disarray that just goes unadressed by anyone--player or coach. It will come.

Also keep 1 of Cole and Martin in--always. Jackson run point without Cole. Let Gaff play SG.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo hits both free throws to win it in regulation is that a 10? If 26 points, 18 rebounds and 6 blocks isn't a 10 on your scale then what is?

Gaffney and Akok a 6? There's a chasm bigger than the Grand Canyon between 6 and 9 on your scale. Lol

Reaction Score
My only complaint is our customary 8 point collapse mid second half. Feels like it's getting predictable. We win this game by 15 without it.

It seems like the players and coaches get choked up getting into sets. Players need more direction from coach, but they've gotta play looser too. There's a palpable sense of disarray that just goes unadressed by anyone--player or coach. It will come.

Also keep 1 of Cole and Martin in--always. Jackson run point without Cole. Let Gaff play SG.
My takeaway as well. Felt like there were quite a few opportunities where they could’ve stretched that lead out to 12-15 and they’re just in capable of doing it. Sloppy turnovers, fouls leading to free throws, empty offensive possessions. They lose focus. Sometimes it feels like the team takes after Hurleys frantic style and gets a bit lackluster there for spurts. Glad they pulled it out, but it’s been an Achilles heel for awhile. Gotta figure out how to cut down on some of that when they jump out to these second half leads.

Reaction Score
What to complain about if we lost? Missed free throws. 52% at end of regulation. From memory, I think it was 6 consecutive trips to the line with either made one, missed one or missed front end of one and one.

Reaction Score
Adama should be a 9.9 (would have been 10 without missed FT's)

And Cole should be a solid 9. Those 3 charges he got were huge defensive plays.
Cole should be a 9 for not only what happens when he is on the court, but the impact felt when he is off it. Most bad things occur when he is not playing.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I slightly disagree with Martin. I like him as a player and has been huge for use, no question, but I felt like last night and the seton hall game, just had too many turnovers. He's at his best on offense when he can just catch and shoot or catch and drive straight to the basket. Anything that reqires him to truly handle the ball, I don't love

Reaction Score
I slightly disagree with Martin. I like him as a player and has been huge for use, no question, but I felt like last night and the seton hall game, just had too many turnovers. He's at his best on offense when he can just catch and shoot or catch and drive straight to the basket. Anything that reqires him to truly handle the ball, I don't love

SH game sure.

Last night he has 1 TO.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Seems like Danny like to play matchups with Akok and Whaley. Akok starts at 4 last game and Whaley last night. Definitely something to watch as we move forward in the season. The two certainly have very different skill sets.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo hits both free throws to win it in regulation is that a 10? If 26 points, 18 rebounds and 6 blocks isn't a 10 on your scale then what is?

Gaffney and Akok a 6? There's a chasm bigger than the Grand Canyon between 6 and 9 on your scale. Lol
Agreed. Gotta give Akok a 5 and Gaff a 2.

Reaction Score
Seems like Danny like to play matchups with Akok and Whaley. Akok starts at 4 last game and Whaley last night. Definitely something to watch as we move forward in the season. The two certainly have very different skill sets.
My in-depth analysis is that it was a very physical game and Akok is skinny.

Definitely think Jackson is knocking on the door of being a consistent factor whenever he's on the floor on both ends. I think the upcoming stretch of lots of games will get him the reps needed.
Unfortunately every Gaffney unforced turnover makes the Diggins situation worse.

Reaction Score
No Hawkins?
Missed it. What do you think we should score him? That iso 3 was the prettiest shot of the game.

If he hits that game winning free throw, he gets that 9.5 and flirts with the perfect 10
What to complain about if we lost? Missed free throws. 52% at end of regulation. From memory, I think it was 6 consecutive trips to the line with either made one, missed one or missed front end of one and one.
Sure, but what can you do about missed free throws? Nothing Coach can control during in-game play. St John’s also missed a number of them, making the free throw argument a moot point.

Reaction Score

I wonder who is always on the bench during our mid 2nd half collapses....
I also wonder who's running the show during that same time period...

Reaction Score
I wonder who is always on the bench during our mid 2nd half collapses....
I also wonder who's running the show during that same time period...

I assume you're implying Cole/Gaffney here, and that's not it. Our bench is a problem, no doubt. But it isn't what I'm referring to.

Our bench group with Gaff/Hawkins/Polley played for what, 3 minutes? The poor offense started before that, and continued after the starters came back in for a chunk of time. (And fwiw I think that problem can be alleviated pretty easily... sit Hawkins or Polley or Akok for Jackson. Yeah he turns it over, but we aren't gonna be stagnant with the bench guys in if he's in the game at least. It MIGHT go bad with his TOs... but it's always gonna go bad if we don't have a true playmaker on the floor).

I'm talking about guys not knowing what set we're running, taking too long to get into them, and having to settle for bad shots because our offense doesn't even start making scoring plays until there's 12-15 second on the clock.

Reaction Score
Missed it. What do you think we should score him? That iso 3 was the prettiest shot of the game.

If he hits that game winning free throw, he gets that 9.5 and flirts with the perfect 10

Sure, but what can you do about missed free throws? Nothing Coach can control during in-game play. St John’s also missed a number of them, making the free throw argument a moot point.
When at the end of regulation one team is at 70% and the other is at 52%, I would suggest that free throws made a difference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I assume you're implying Cole/Gaffney here, and that's not it. Our bench is a problem, no doubt. But it isn't what I'm referring to.

Our bench group with Gaff/Hawkins/Polley played for what, 3 minutes? The poor offense started before that, and continued after the starters came back in for a chunk of time. (And fwiw I think that problem can be alleviated pretty easily... sit Hawkins or Polley or Akok for Jackson. Yeah he turns it over, but we aren't gonna be stagnant with the bench guys in if he's in the game at least. It MIGHT go bad with his TOs... but it's always gonna go bad if we don't have a true playmaker on the floor).

I'm talking about guys not knowing what set we're running, taking too long to get into them, and having to settle for bad shots because our offense doesn't even start making scoring plays until there's 12-15 second on the clock.

Yep. That was the problem in that stretch. St. Johns was pressing. Cole needed a break. Hurley sent in not just Gaff, but also Polley for Jackson and Hawkins for Martin. Kiss of death. He can't downgrade all three ballhandlers at the same time against a team that's pressing. Even Akok for Whaley upgrades ball handling somewhat. I can only guess he wants consistent units, but if Cole is out, Jackson needs to be in, and preferably Martin.

As for Akok, I'm not sure how anybody gives him a grade. He seemed to play just fine when he was in, then Hurley inexplicably pulled him out and he didn't come back except for one possession late. I do not understand what Hurley thinks he's seeing. I can only guess it is perimeter defense, but Akok is possibly the best help interior defender we have. He's a much better shooter than Whaley and a better rebounder and ball handler as well. I'd like to see him be more active on offense, slashing to the basket looking for passes. But for all I know Hurley wants him standing outside.

People complaining about Gaffney, but aside from getting spooked by Posh and bobbling the ball away he wasn't bad at all. I have no idea why he seems to have no confidence in his 3 ball anymore. He was solid shooting last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom