Report Card vs Florida | The Boneyard

Report Card vs Florida

Reaction Score
D. Clingan- 9.0: 16 points, 8 rebounds in 19 minutes? A freshman? With outstanding defense against a proven SENIOR big man in Castleton. What the hell? As the season's progressed, his teammates seem to be learning Donovan's body mechanics and movements and the notion of "oh yea, I should just throw it up next to the hoop for our really tall guy"
A. Sanogo- 8.5: Perhaps one of his best games in a UConn uniform considering Castleton in his competition. His footwork was mesmerizing tonight. A great dish to Calcaterra for the 3 ball.
A. Jackson- 8.5: This is a bold statement, so I'm going to bold it: Andre Jackson is my favorite UConn player to ever wear the uniform. He's everywhere, and he's TEAM FIRST. TRUELY TEAM FIRST. And there's a beautiful trickle down effect happening right before our eyes. Hurley can only preach so much; Jackson is the brush to Hurley's stroke. Speaking of strokes, my grandpa just had one. My only remark on Jackson, he needs to stop making it tough on himself with some of the 3 point shot selections. The open ones, near the line, go in. Only shoot those, my guy! 0 turnovers in 34 minutes by the way....
J. Hawkins- 8.5: His game is just so sexy. And his sneaky great defense made another welcomed appearance tonight. His mid range game > driving to the basket. Keep in mind no one wants him to settle for the reliable jump shot more than those brain cells floating around in that baby face shaped head of his.
J. Calcaterra- 7.5: He's proven himself too many times now as a good driver to the rim, which has earned him the small banter talk at the urinals during halftime: "you know, Joey C's not just a 3 point shooter, he can really drive it!". Someone suggested his nickname needs to be Joey Connecticut, I'm here for that.
T. Newton- 6.0: Too many turnovers tonight (5). Still a great piece to this winning recipe and held his own overall.
A. Karaban- 6.0: Too quiet tonight, due to foul trouble. Though his 3 total points may have been the loudest bucket of the night. Came at a crucial moment during the contest.
N. Alleyne- 5.5: Felt like he didn't get much playing time tonight. Played well for the minutes he was given. I think Alleyne will be an important piece to this puzzle, don't count him out just yet.
H. Diarra- 5.0: Our only weak spot. Needs to find some juju against LIU to turn his season around, otherwise, I don't see him getting more than 3 mins of PT during the crunchy stuff.

Player of the Match- D. Clingan: The best 1-2 big man punch in the country.
Match Notes: -Coach Hurley had them ready for their first road game. Credit to him and the staff.
-Another game where I find myself saying out loud: "[Insert opponent name here]" sucks, they run no offense!". Starting to realize it's not them, it's us.
-That Florida Gator home court vibe was gross. Those cheerleaders though, put some lead in my pipe. sheeshkabob.
-Their head coach reminded me of Squeak from the movie BASEketball.

Over n Out- Report Card

caw

Reaction Score
D. Clingan- 9.0: 16 points, 8 rebounds in 19 minutes? A freshman? With outstanding defense against a proven SENIOR big man in Castleton. What the hell? As the season's progressed, his teammates seem to be learning Donovan's body mechanics and movements and the notion of "oh yea, I should just throw it up next to the hoop for our really tall guy"
A. Sanogo- 8.5: Perhaps one of his best games in a UConn uniform considering Castleton in his competition. His footwork was mesmerizing tonight. A great dish to Calcaterra for the 3 ball.
A. Jackson- 8.5: This is a bold statement, so I'm going to bold it: Andre Jackson is my favorite UConn player to ever wear the uniform. He's everywhere, and he's TEAM FIRST. TRUELY TEAM FIRST. And there's a beautiful trickle down effect happening right before our eyes. Hurley can only preach so much; Jackson is the brush to Hurley's stroke. Speaking of strokes, my grandpa just had one. My only remark on Jackson, he needs to stop making it tough on himself with some of the 3 point shot selections. The open ones, near the line, go in. Only shoot those, my guy! 0 turnovers in 34 minutes by the way....
J. Hawkins- 8.5: His game is just so sexy. And his sneaky great defense made another welcomed appearance tonight. His mid range game > driving to the basket. Keep in mind no one wants him to settle for the reliable jump shot more than those brain cells floating around in that baby face shaped head of his.
J. Calcaterra- 7.5: He's proven himself too many times now as a good driver to the rim, which has earned him the small banter talk at the urinals during halftime: "you know, Joey C's not just a 3 point shooter, he can really drive it!". Someone suggested his nickname needs to be Joey Connecticut, I'm here for that.
T. Newton- 6.0: Too many turnovers tonight (5). Still a great piece to this winning recipe and held his own overall.
A. Karaban- 6.0: Too quiet tonight, due to foul trouble. Though his 3 total points may have been the loudest bucket of the night. Came at a crucial moment during the contest.
N. Alleyne- 5.5: Felt like he didn't get much playing time tonight. Played well for the minutes he was given. I think Alleyne will be an important piece to this puzzle, don't count him out just yet.
H. Diarra- 5.0: Our only weak spot. Needs to find some juju against LIU to turn his season around, otherwise, I don't see him getting more than 3 mins of PT during the crunchy stuff.

Match Notes: -Coach Hurley had them ready for their first road game. Credit to him and the staff.
-Another game where I find myself saying out loud: "[Insert opponent name here]" sucks, they run no offense!". Starting to realize it's not them, it's us.
-That Florida Gator home court vibe was gross. Those cheerleaders though, put some lead in my pipe. sheeshkabob.

Over n Out- Report Card

First, hope your grandfather is OK.

Second, yeah there aren't many teams that run offense that isn't hero ball. Too many teams trying to replicate what Kemba and Bazz did. Few succeeding.

Third, Diarra and Alleyne will always get minutes because they play solid defense most of the time.

Reaction Score
Sanogo passed to b Joey as his 4th option... He's first option was attempt to score, his 2nd and 3rd were attempt to score over a double team. He begrudgingly passed to Joey who was wide open and should've been his 1st option.

Sanogo doesn't get bonus points for ignoring joey and eventually making the right basketball play.

Reaction Score
Sanogo passed to b Joey as his 4th option... He's first option was attempt to score, his 2nd and 3rd were attempt to score over a double team. He begrudgingly passed to Joey who was wide open and should've been his 1st option.

Sanogo doesn't get bonus points for ignoring joey and eventually making the right basketball play.

Oh god.

caw

Reaction Score

I thought I saw him look to the corner first before passing to Joey. So pass to corner may have been his third option.

Reaction Score
Granted I am a generous grader. But honestly, just the fact that this game was their first true road game, and against a P5 team to boot, all things considered, these guys all get an A- (and the - is added so they have something to strive for, that solid A and A+).

Reaction Score

Over n Out- Report Card
Most entertaining writeup of the season so far. Sorry to hear about your gramps.

Reaction Score
great write-up and i agree with the grades for the most part, but calcaterra has to be higher than a 7.5! the dude's ability to finish around the basket has been legitimately mind-blowing to me and his chemistry with clingan is sooo fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Lol I'm getting dislikes for pointing out that Sanogo continues to be a reluctant passer... If he's not doing it on purpose then it's poor awareness and bbiq.

Joey was begging for the ball...

I love everything Sanogo does, but he needs to add this to his game. If the ball enters the post and he is doubled, and Hawk, Karaban or Joey come wide open, he needs to fire the ball over to them for the assist. Our overall points per possession with go up, and it'll make teams more reluctant to double him, so his individual efficiency will go up as well.

Reaction Score
First, hope your grandfather is OK.

Second, yeah there aren't many teams that run offense that isn't hero ball. Too many teams trying to replicate what Kemba and Bazz did. Few succeeding.

Third, Diarra and Alleyne will always get minutes because they play solid defense most of the time.
Oh the Gpa is doing great, better than before!

Sanogo went 8/13 last night. Tough to knock that!

Reaction Score
Oh the Gpa is doing great, better than before!

Sanogo went 8/13 last night. Tough to knock that!
I didn't knock his offensive production. I commented on his continued reluctance to passed to open shorts when he is double and triple teamed.

We're just going to ignore that he is still doing it?

Reaction Score
Diarra is one of the best on-ball defenders on this team. He’s made a few mistakes with the ball in his hands, but I see him hustling more than anyone on the team not named Jackson. He is not getting bumped from this rotation, and he certainly is going to see more than three minutes a game in the Big East grind. That said, excellent write-up and healing vibes to your gramps.

Reaction Score
great write-up and i agree with the grades for the most part, but calcaterra has to be higher than a 7.5! the dude's ability to finish around the basket has been legitimately mind-blowing to me and his chemistry with clingan is sooo fun to watch.
I'm from New Haven too .... Hill house alum '96......great post!

Reaction Score
I didn't knock his offensive production. I commented on his continued reluctance to passed to open shorts when he is double and triple teamed.

We're just going to ignore that he is still doing it?
"If the ball enters the post and he is doubled, and Hawk, Karaban or Joey come wide open, he needs to fire the ball over to them for the assist. Our overall points per possession with go up, and it'll make teams more reluctant to double him, so his individual efficiency will go up as well."

Right. As good as he is, he's not beyond improving his game. Good for him, good for the team.

Reaction Score
"If the ball enters the post and he is doubled, and Hawk, Karaban or Joey come wide open, he needs to fire the ball over to them for the assist. Our overall points per possession with go up, and it'll make teams more reluctant to double him, so his individual efficiency will go up as well."

Right. As good as he is, he's not beyond improving his game. Good for him, good for the team.
This and Ajax driving to the rim looking to score first and pass second won't make us near unstoppable.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Over n Out- Report Card
Outstanding analysis with colorful commentary :D. Thanks for your efforts!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom