Renewing CBSSN | The Boneyard

Renewing CBSSN

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Any speculation if CBSSN contract will be renewed or not.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like CBSSN. I hope UConn stays with them for the foreseeable future until one of the big conferences come calling.
Agree but I Wouldn't mind seeing them goose up the total contract value, though.

Reaction Score
Agree but I Wouldn't mind seeing them goose up the total contract value, though.
Of course I agree with you but we really need to have another good year before we start asking for more money. Before last year we were unwatchable.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
CBSSN has been good when its not a BRUTAL broadcasting crew they had for most of there home games...
Hoping we might get an upgrade now that we've shown that we can win and are competitive again.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm 50/50 on this.

1) Latching ourselves to a niche linear network, albeit a reasonable one, is getting tougher and tougher.
2) Streaming is becoming less and less of a scarlet letter. You probably lose some eyeballs to start, but with cord-cutting accelerating (and CBSSN stubbornly not on Paramount+), the break-even is probably somewhere in the midst of whatever contract you're signing.

CBSSN has been a good partner in a tough time, though, and we should give them some leeway, but not a ton.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm 50/50 on this.

1) Latching ourselves to a niche linear network, albeit a reasonable one, is getting tougher and tougher.
2) Streaming is becoming less and less of a scarlet letter. You probably lose some eyeballs to start, but with cord-cutting accelerating (and CBSSN stubbornly not on Paramount+), the break-even is probably somewhere in the midst of whatever contract you're signing.

CBSSN has been a good partner in a tough time, though, and we should give them some leeway, but not a ton.

I don't think it's particularly close whatsoever. Getting out games on a national linear tv channel (coming off some of the worst fbs seasons ever) is probably AD Dave's biggest accomplishment (along with who he has been able to schedule).

Putting this program behind a streaming paywall expedites our death sentence as an FBS Independent.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I don't think it's particularly close whatsoever. Getting out games on a national linear tv channel (coming off some of the worst fbs seasons ever) is probably AD Dave's biggest accomplishment (along with who he has been able to schedule).

Putting this program behind a streaming paywall expedites our death sentence as an FBS Independent.
Your first statement is 100% true. It’s past facing though.

My point is that a linear channel isn’t the same as it was at the start of this contract.

Even the NFL is moving a playoff game to Peacock exclusive (plus OTA in team local market)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
CBSSN has two option periods to extend the current deal through 2027 per the Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
I thought it was $100,000/game for 1A games and less for FCS opponents.

I agree that streaming is likely the future but I still prefer CBSSN to say ESPN 3. Guessing they end up on some streaming service too eventually.

Reaction Score
Your first statement is 100% true. It’s past facing though.

My point is that a linear channel isn’t the same as it was at the start of this contract.

Even the NFL is moving a playoff game to Peacock exclusive (plus OTA in team local market)

The NFL can go to some high school cable channel and everyone would scramble to find it.

This network is pretty much the only perk of independence we can offer recruits other than the occasional p5 team on the schedule.

Reaction Score
The NFL can go to some high school cable channel and everyone would scramble to find it.

This network is pretty much the only perk of independence we can offer recruits other than the occasional p5 team on the schedule.
As stated by others, eventually streaming will be the thing. For now, you are right, this deal is better for us. Should be even if CBSSN picks up the options. After that, the calculus may be different.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think CBSSN has two option years after 2023
They do - 2, 2 year exertions that can extend the deal through 2027.

I’m curious if there is any language in there to terminate should we get an invite to join a conference…

Reaction Score
1/2 million a year for football doesn’t cut it…we need a good big east deal..and at least 2 million a year from football with our next tv contracts

Reaction Score
Isn't the contract available via request? Would be interested to see if there is an escalator in case cbs decides to use their options

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom