Regionalization concept that would realign teams in AAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt to be presented Monday | The Boneyard

Regionalization concept that would realign teams in AAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt to be presented Monday

Reaction Score

-> The concept will be presented by former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and former Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg. C-USA hired Delany as an advisor during realignment. Delany is being assisted by Weiberg, his former deputy Big Ten commissioner. Weiberg helped launch both the Big Ten and Pac-12 television networks.

When asked about the C-USA concept, an AAC spokesman told CBS Sports, "We have zero interest in that. That's not in our plan."

Sun Belt commissioner Keith Gill took a similar stance: "We're really not interested in a merger. We feel really good about where we are."

The hope is that approval by C-USA presidents would potentially create momentum for other leagues to follow along. "What we hope to be able to achieve some consensus about is go to the table with regional institutions that might want to return to some sanity, make it better for the athlete and less time away from school, build on regional rivalries," a person involved in the process tells CBS Sports. "I can't say that's Mike's league. It could be."<-

Reaction Score
So if we were still in the AAC and Aresco agreed to this, we'd find ourselves in a conference with:

Temple
Marshall
Liberty
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Charlotte
East Carolina
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina

And, according to the article, if Aresco says no:

"After failing to lure any Mountain West schools, sources said the AAC had set its sights East on some combination of UAB, North Texas, Texas State, UTSA, Appalachian State and perhaps others. There has also been buzz about Aresco going "big" and inviting up to eight schools to grow his conference to 16 teams."

Never been so grateful for the BE/Indy. Thank you AD Dave.

Reaction Score
The hope is that approval by C-USA presidents would potentially create momentum for other leagues to follow along. "What we hope to be able to achieve some consensus about is go to the table with regional institutions that might want to return to some sanity, make it better for the athlete and less time away from school, build on regional rivalries," a person involved in the process tells CBS Sports. "I can't say that's Mike's league. It could be."<-

“The hope is that approval by the MLS would potentially create momentum for the Premier League and Bundisliga to follow along, and all merge together.”:D

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
1633822847856.gif

Reaction Score
So if we were still in the AAC and Aresco agreed to this, we'd find ourselves in a conference with:

Temple
Marshall
Liberty
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Charlotte
East Carolina
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina

"After failing to lure any Mountain West schools, sources said the AAC had set its sights East on some combination of UAB, North Texas, Texas State, UTSA, Appalachian State and perhaps others. There has also been buzz about Aresco going "big" and inviting up to eight schools to grow his conference to 16 teams."

Hilarious thing is that even in that conference UConn football would likely not win a game!

Reaction Score
What if things could be really reshuffled. If UConn could be in a FB only conference with UMass, Buffalo, Army, Temple, Navy, Tulane, USF and some others. Would that interest anyone? It would be a stop-gap measure until we get better.

Reaction Score
Hilarious thing is that even in that conference UConn football would likely not win a game
We spent 7-8 years putting down the AAC because of our obvious superiority. Yet we are celebrating that we weren’t left behind when 1/4 of that conference was picked off by the Big12. ( P5)That’s a curious ,why would we be left behind?
That we weren’t a fit for the Big 12 is bogus. Boise is actively lobbying them for a spot and and there pretty much the same distance as UConn and we bring a lot more eyeballs to the league. The B12 now has three teams in the Eastern Time zone a fourth would be perfect. It’s also arguably the top men’s BB conference and the premier women’s conference. Despite the Naysayers between the media deal assuming a *cut and football playoff payouts were looking at around $30,000,000 a team. If the AAC got half that we wouldn’t have left.
However after we missed in 2016 we decided to hire Randy he was cheap instead of hiring the best coach we get , that was a signal that we were no longer a serious player. That was Dejavu. M
* Adding UConn might even prevent a cut in which case the deal is more like $40,000.000 a year.

Reaction Score
We spent 7-8 years putting down the AAC because of our obvious superiority. Yet we are celebrating that we weren’t left behind when 1/4 of that conference was picked off by the Big12. ( P5)That’s a curious ,why would we be left behind?
That we weren’t a fit for the Big 12 is bogus. Boise is actively lobbying them for a spot and and there pretty much the same distance as UConn and we bring a lot more eyeballs to the league. The B12 now has three teams in the Eastern Time zone a fourth would be perfect. It’s also arguably the top men’s BB conference and the premier women’s conference. Despite the Naysayers between the media deal assuming a *cut and football playoff payouts were looking at around $30,000,000 a team. If the AAC got half that we wouldn’t have left.
However after we missed in 2016 we decided to hire Randy he was cheap instead of hiring the best coach we get , that was a signal that we were no longer a serious player. That was Dejavu. M
* Adding UConn might even prevent a cut in which case the deal is more like $40,000.000 a year.
A school from New England has no business being in the B12. UConn is already hemorrhaging money. Imaging the travel budget having to send soccer, swimming, baseball, softball, volleyball field hockey, et al to play in the B12. We belong in a eastern conference. We’ll be fine in the Big East and as an independent in football.

Reaction Score
What if things could be really reshuffled. If UConn could be in a FB only conference with UMass, Buffalo, Army, Temple, Navy, Tulane, USF and some others. Would that interest anyone? It would be a stop-gap measure until we get better.
Wouldn't interest me much at all. I'd much rather be an independent and schedule games against more interesting teams and/or from better recruiting areas.

Reaction Score

Temple
Marshall
Liberty
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Charlotte
East Carolina
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina

...we are going to wind up scheduling these same teams, and thanking them for the privilege. Terrible time to be Independent.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
...we are going to wind up scheduling these same teams, and thanking them for the privilege. Terrible time to be Independent.
Agreed. I listened to that entire video of the consultant on the expansion of the big 12. They chose the right teams. UConn was barely mentioned. We would be lucky to get an invite. The gap is growing. I took this screenshot which resonated deeply with me (ugh it won’t post because this forum is too cheap and the size of the file too large). We are going to further dig ourselves into irrelevance. Sad. This guy was actually smart.

Reaction Score
A school from New England has no business being in the B12. UConn is already hemorrhaging money. Imaging the travel budget having to send soccer, swimming, baseball, softball, volleyball field hockey, et al to play in the B12. We belong in a eastern conference. We’ll be fine in the Big East and as an independent in football.
I thought the much larger payout would make up for the cost. Certainly, couldn't be more than traveling to AAC schools for a pittance.

Reaction Score
I would rather have the 40 million and deal with travel expenses and have a seat at the big boy table, rather than being on the outside looking in. Of course, given the status of football at this time, that dream is ludicrous. For basketball, the big 12 schedule would be daunting and a very good evaluation of the real status of the basketball program.

Reaction Score
the questions that should be asked are:
  • does UConn need a FBS football team ?
  • if so, why ?
  • if so, at what financial costs to the students, the University, and taxpayers ?

Reaction Score
The question of whether UConn needs an FBS football team is still up for debate, but I think the "Why" is pretty obvious. A successful college football team (in theory) would be able to produce additional income for the university, along with being an exceptional marketing tool.

That's what college sports is mostly, marketing for the university. When teams win national championships in basketball/football their application numbers skyrocket.
the questions that should be asked are:
  • does UConn need a FBS football team ?
  • if so, why ?
  • if so, at what financial costs to the students, the University, and taxpayers ?

Reaction Score
The question of whether UConn needs an FBS football team is still up for debate, but I think the "Why" is pretty obvious. A successful college football team (in theory) would be able to produce additional income for the university, along with being an exceptional marketing tool.

That's what college sports is mostly, marketing for the university. When teams win national championships in basketball/football their application numbers skyrocket.

Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Very interesting read. I know how people laugh at my Rice to AAC predictions, but they have the #2 brand in the conference according to this article (although I would argue they are #1 ahead of North Texas).

Reaction Score
Very interesting read. I know how people laugh at my Rice to AAC predictions, but they have the #2 brand in the conference according to this article (although I would argue they are #1 ahead of North Texas).
-> Rice AD Karlgaard downloads on a handful of topics with the student newspaper… "It’s probably my top priority right now to set us up for a better [conference] alignment. [...] We have the best academic profile in the Group of Five by a long shot. We’ve got the largest endowment in the Group of Five by three [times], I think. So the academic and financial profile of the university is stronger than anyone else can put forward." <-

Reaction Score
Rice, like Wake Forest, is pretty small...in terms of student enrollment....4,076...Wake has 5,441.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom