Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry | The Boneyard

Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry

Reaction Score
A) If they both played during Miller's prime, I think Miller would have been the better player. If you look at games played, Miller played 79+ games in 13 different seasons. He was more durable, tougher physically and for the game on the floor at that time? No different. Curry's body is already showing signs of breaking down somewhat.

B) If they both played in Curry's prime, I think Miller would be equal to him in every regard. Miller was a great catch and shooter, came off screens and would have NO problem assimilating into today's drive and kick 3 game.

No doubt history will likely crown Curry as the best 3 pt shooter ever and that's a hard argument to discredit. But the timing of Miller's career and his overall game makes it an interesting debate.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Tough to make comparison when the game has changed so much.

Kerr let’s Steph just dribble around and hoist 3’s like its pickup. I think if you put any pure shooter into that spot he’d be pretty comparable to an extent.

Reaction Score
Tough to make comparison when the game has changed so much.

Kerr let’s Steph just dribble around and hoist 3’s like its pickup. I think if you put any pure shooter into that spot he’d be pretty comparable to an extent.
That's mad disrespect to Curry lol. Miller also had 4 inches on him and played SG. No one can do what Curry does. There are 20 other guys in the NBA that have just as much freedom as him.

Reaction Score
That's mad disrespect to Curry lol. Miller also had 4 inches on him and played SG. No one can do what Curry does. There are 20 other guys in the NBA that have just as much freedom as him.

Go back and watch some Reggie UCLA highlights. One step over half court and he'd launch it. 20 years before Steph was doing it. Today's game is picture perfect for him.

Reaction Score
Reggie was one of the most clutch players I’ve ever seen which is why I give him the edge. Curry has had one of the best teams ever assembled around him. Reggie had a good squad to be sure but nothing like the Warrior teams in that five year period.

Reaction Score
Name the 20
LeBron
Harden
Westbrook
Damian
McCollum
Jimmy Butler
KD
Kyrie
Giannis
Kawhi
Paul George
Kemba
Tatum
Doncic
Trae Young
Simmons
Embiid
Devin Booker
Chris Paul
KAT.

So yeah... There's prob a few more I could name. The entire Denver Team runs through Jokic...

EDIT: lol forgot Anthony Davis

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you told Ray to shoot 30% more than he did I’m sure he’d be just as good, if not better, than Curry.

Reaction Score
Steph is a two-time MVP. Reggie never even made 2nd team All-NBA.

What separates Steph for Reggie or Ray or any other great shooter before him is his ability to create his own 3PT looks. Previous guys relied on screens or finding openings in transition for the most part (and some PnR). Steph started doing things beyond the arc that no one else ever did. He changed the game.

Steph is also a far superior passer/ballhandler/playmaker.

Reaction Score
Also, even just statistically, Steph is a better 3PT shooter on much greater volume while taking far more difficult shots than Reggie did.

If you want to lean on volume, that's fine. That's the comparison of the eras.

You can't say the shots were "more difficult".

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous argument
Two completely different players, playing two different positions at two different eras
In a pick-up game who do I choose? Seth hands down - you get more out of him.
Unless of course if Spike Lee is opposing coach/captain, then I choose Reggie just to enjoy him getting under that jerk Lee's skin

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous argument
Two completely different players, playing two different positions at two different eras
In a pick-up game who do I choose? Seth hands down - you get more out of him.
Unless of course if Spike Lee is opposing coach/captain, then I choose Reggie just to enjoy him getting under that jerk Lee's skin

You say it's a ridiculous argument....then your counterpoint is who you'd take in a pickup game?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll split some hairs.

Better shooter? You can debate it. Raw numbers favor Steph across the board.
Better clutch shooter? You can debate it. Both have some big ones; Reggie probably has more iconic clutch shots but Steph has hit some biggies.
Better playmaker? Not even close. Steph is miles ahead creating for himself and distributing to others. Reggie never developed in to a drive and dish player.
Better defender? Neither one is known for their defense.

Overall, I don't think it's close. Steph is a better all around player and has had much more ball handling responsibility.

Reaction Score
I'll split some hairs.

Better clutch shooter? You can debate it. Both have some big ones; Reggie probably has more iconic clutch shots but Steph has hit some biggies.
Better playmaker? Not even close. Steph is miles ahead creating for himself and distributing to others. Reggie never developed in to a drive and dish player.

Overall, I don't think it's close. Steph is a better all around player and has had much more ball handling responsibility.

People seem to think that because players were more physical in the 80s and 90s game, that automatically makes them better players.

Reaction Score
I'll split some hairs.

To be fair, Reggie played with Mark Jackson at PG and he was as big of a "pass first" PG as there was. His shot creating came more off screens and off the ball movement.

Reaction Score
You can't say the shots were "more difficult".

You absolutely can. When did Reggie ever navigate the same PnR 2-3 times in a row, dribbling around like a lunatic, then bury a step-back 26-footer? I don't think this is a crazy thing I'm saying here. All of his contemporaries--both players and coaches--talk about the degree of difficulty in Steph's shots. Players weren't even taking these shots before him.

Reaction Score
You absolutely can. When did Reggie ever navigate the same PnR 2-3 times in a row, dribbling around like a lunatic, then bury a step-back 26-footer? I don't think this is a crazy thing I'm saying here. All of his contemporaries--both players and coaches--talk about the degree of difficulty in Steph's shots. Players weren't even taking these shots before him.

If you don't think Reggie Miller ever buried step back 26 footers, you never watched Reggie Miller.

I'd love to see all this contemporary feedback. Right now, it's just you saying it's more difficult. Did Steph ever score 8 points in 9 seconds?

Reaction Score
If you don't think Reggie Miller ever buried step back 26 footers, you never watched Reggie Miller.

I'd love to see all this contemporary feedback. Right now, it's just you saying it's more difficult. Did Steph ever score 8 points in 9 seconds?
So is tracy mcgrady the best player of all time?

Reaction Score
Curry shoots over 8 treys a game and makes 43.5% and shoot 47+% overall.
Miller shot less than 5 a game and made 39.5% and 47% overall.

Miller was big in the big moments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom