Men - Reggie Crawford selected to 2021 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men Reggie Crawford selected to 2021 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team

Reaction Score
In the linked article it mentions Crawford getting an opportunity at longer outings. Not sure if that is speculation or inside information but I wonder if he could be in line for a starting spot next year.

I could very well be wrong, but it seems to me this article is based on pure speculation, and not on any actual evidence. If Crawford is going to continue playing 1B for UConn, it would make sense to make him a starter, so you don't have to go through the odd spectacle of getting him warmed up for late inning stints as he plays the field and gets his at bats. In that sense I certainly wouldn't mind Crawford becoming a starting pitcher.

However, up to this point, Crawford has been used purely in relief in his few pitching stints at UConn, plus his appearances in summer ball with Bourne and with Westfield last summer, and I believe that is also the case with the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team, although I haven't seen any box scores from the national team to confirm that. But it seems to me if Crawford turning into a starter was actually in the plans, he very well might have gotten some starts this summer. Instead, Crawford has been getting much publicity in tweets from UConn baseball and others about his 100 plus mph fastball and such, which would seem to point to Crawford staying in the pen. Until someone actually starts to use Crawford as a starter (and that would include UConn during the coming fall ball season), I have to assume that Crawford will be seeing time at the back of the pen when he returns to Storrs in the fall.

One other thing. UConn has an incoming transfer by the name of Ben Huber who was a big hitter at Limestone College. If Huber remains a big hitter against Division 1 pitching, then it is quite possible Crawford won't be seeing as much time at 1B, thus helping to enable him to get more mound time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Crawford bytes:

-> TOP PITCHING PROSPECTS - Reggie Crawford, LHP, Connecticut (2022)– Athletic and large-framed at 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, Crawford is currently known more for his hitting talents where he slashed (.295/.349/.543) with 13 home runs for the Huskies. He pitched just 7.2 innings (with 17 strikeouts) for UConn this spring and so far this summer he’s shown electric stuff for the CNT, striking out nine in five innings, while allowing just one hit. He was up to 96 during his one inning stint in Pulaski (Va.) and up to 99 for Aaron Fitt during Monday night’s game against the professional Team USA. Crawford throws loose and easy left-handed cheddar from a three-quarter slot, and there’s more in the tank. It’s also the high-spin heat (2500-2600+ rpm) that clubs now drool for. He further separates himself by consistently landing a low-80s breaking ball. It’s a profile that could be considered at 1-1 for the 2022 draft. <-

Reaction Score
by.png

Reaction Score

-> Sitting atop the list is two-way standout Reggie Crawford (UConn). The 6-foot-6 southpaw was seldom used on the mound by the Huskies in the spring (7.2 IP), but broke out as one who profiles as a potential 1-1 pick with his performance this summer in the Cape and with the USA CNT. Although it was another small sample size, Crawford struck out 12 in six innings combined between the CNT and Bourne. In those innings he allowed just one hit and no runs. Athletic and large-framed at 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, he shows electric stuff from the left side. It’s loose and easy cheddar from a three-quarter slot, and there’s more in the tank. It’s also the high-spin heat (2500-2600+ rpm) that clubs covet. He was up to 99 for Aaron Fitt during the CNT’s game against the professional Team USA, and sat 97-98. He further separates himself by consistently landing a low-80s breaking ball. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom