Recruiting Transfers - March | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Figured it would make sense to start a thread for possible transfer recruits.

Storm Murphy just announced he plans to transfer. 41.7% career three point percentage. I think he would be a great fit.

Reaction Score
Concern is he's small and played in a much weaker conference. Give me a 6'5" Storm and I'm in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm generally against transfers. This year as crazy as it has been may be an exception.

The fact that we have 2 transfers starting is not the most common way to find success.

Reaction Score
I'm generally against transfers. This year as crazy as it has been may be an exception.

The fact that we have 2 transfers starting is not the most common way to find success.
I think this is a preconceived idea that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny over recent years. There were hundreds of transfers in the last years that ended up on hundreds of teams. You almost can't watch a game without watching players that started with other teams. You can quibble with 'defining success', but defining it as being competitive at high division 1, teams like Texas Tech, Houston, Seton Hall, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, Baylor, Memphis, Iowa, Uconn, Syracuse, etc etc have transfers making key contributions. Good players from low majors are rounding out D1 rosters, and lots of good players like Sid Wilson are transferring down.

Reaction Score
I'm generally against transfers.
5-10 years ago I would have agreed. But the transfer market is the "new way" of college basketball. And teams that don't adapt and buy in will have difficulty competing on the court. Even the traditional blue bloods who can bring in five stars have started to utilize the transfer market

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
FWIW, I was watching Kimani on IG Live last night with some random NYC hoops guy and they were discussing the current transfer landscape. Kimani made it explicitly clear that UConn’s roster building vision is laser-focused on high-end high school talent, and they will not build their program on transfers as many other programs do in an attempt to “get old fast”. That said, Kimani mentioned that they will look to transfers to plug into very specific roles, and that RJ/Rese were exceptions that they knew would fit the culture of the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FWIW, I was watching Kimani on IG Live last night with some random NYC hoops guy and they were discussing the current transfer landscape. Kimani made it explicitly clear that UConn’s roster building vision is laser-focused on high-end high school talent, and they will not build their program on transfers as many other programs do in an attempt to “get old fast”. That said, Kimani mentioned that they will look to transfers to plug into very specific roles, and that RJ/Rese were exceptions that they knew would fit the culture of the program.

I get that, but if we end up with 3 scholarships, what do you do? Burning them on guys who are not "high level" HS players isn't the answer. When you are a program losing guys to the NBA, you may have late opening scholarships to fill, and grad transfers can help that while keeping your scholarship availability up.

Reaction Score
A program would be silly to not plug in a transfer to fill a hole left by a stud underclassman leaving early, someone blowing out a knee/etc and having to miss 12 months, someone leaving over lack of PT, etc.

Reaction Score
I get that, but if we end up with 3 scholarships, what do you do? Burning them on guys who are not "high level" HS players isn't the answer. When you are a program losing guys to the NBA, you may have late opening scholarships to fill, and grad transfers can help that while keeping your scholarship availability up.

We don't NEED to fill all 3 spots, and especially don't need to fill all 3 spots if any of the seniors come back. Can always bank one for 2022; wouldn't hurt to have 4 to give with Floyd already in the fold, and the staff highly interested in Clingan, Williams, and others.

Reaction Score
We don't NEED to fill all 3 spots, and especially don't need to fill all 3 spots if any of the seniors come back. Can always bank one for 2022; wouldn't hurt to have 4 to give with Floyd already in the fold, and the staff highly interested in Clingan, Williams, and others.
I just don't understand the "banking" a scholarship argument when we're discussing grad transfers. Whether you take a grad transfer or leave that scholarship open, the scholarship will be available for 2022. That's the beauty of the grad transfer. Even if they don't end up seeing the court, there is zero downside.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

All three, no. At least two, yes. Hurley has already commented on going through a season with too few players, then having injuries. This time last year we had 6 scholarship guys available at times. That was not good. We need another depth big and we need depth on the wing. We are overweighted at small guard/PG. That's why I don't think Storm Murphy is an answer. A big and another 6'6-6'7" guy

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, the juggernaut, has started 2 different transfers this year (one was a senior day thing, but still).
Gonzaga has been picking up solid additions from the transfer market for years. Even before it was as common as it is now.

They know exactly who they need and they get them. Hurley has shown the same capability so far too.

Some of the transfers Ollie brought in were questionable. They seemed like they were there to fill holes that should not have been dug in the first place.

Whereas the transfers that Hurley is bringing along are adding to the already “in place” structure, if you will, and making it stronger.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
"We don't want transfers until we do."

Reaction Score

High volume shooter from the wing and high level finisher at the rim. Kind of a black hole and doesn't get to the line, but has 2 years left. Midwest kid, but played on the east coast in college. Also a lefty, for what that is worth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet look how much value they have added.
The transfer market has evolved where you can now land immediate impact players.
We don't need an immediate impact player for next year. This could scare off some recruits. We could use a serviceable big to give Sanogo a breather.
Anyway I am focused on this year. Let's worry about filling in after the season is over.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We don't need an immediate impact player for next year. This could scare off some recruits. We could use a serviceable big to give Sanogo a breather.
Anyway I am focused on this year. Let's worry about filling in after the season is over.

How does it scare off a recruit to bring in a grad transfer with one year of eligibility? They won't be on the team by the time any recruit arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom