Recruiting question | The Boneyard

Recruiting question

Reaction Score
I’m sure this is a dumb question, but this past year has been the year I really dug into recruiting.

Say a kid is getting recruited heavy by UConn, Illinois, and Arizona.

A convo is had with mora “hey I love you guys, I love what you’re doing, but I have to try my hand at power five.

Does mora ever say “I get it, if you can throw us on your finals list for some good press we’d appreciate it.”

I’m seeing some 4* kids with strong lists including us. I’m wondering if it’s just good press or you’re saying there’s a chance.

Reaction Score
I’m seeing some 4* kids with strong lists including us. I’m wondering if it’s just good press or you’re saying there’s a chance.
008.png

Reaction Score
I’m sure this is a dumb question, but this past year has been the year I really dug into recruiting.

A convo is had with mora “hey I love you guys, I love what you’re doing, but I have to try my hand at power five.

Does mora ever say “I get it, if you can throw us on your finals list for some good press we’d appreciate it.”

No I legit believe that UConn would have a good chance to beat out a school like Illinois or Arizona for a recruit. Arizona plays 2 maybe 3 good games all year and then ASU. Illinois gets beat up by the conference in which Rutgers makes them look good. UConn has the luxury of playing every game on national TV AND playing a tough schedule every year. We have top of the line facilities that will go toe to toe with any of the big programs out and Mora has pedigree from past jobs and his Dad to convince kids to come over a lot of the bottom half of P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Kids make decision based on all kinds of criteria. Often it's a jumble of factors. So being on the same list with any college in the country shouldn't be a surprise. P5 may have nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score

I don’t know but I think that’s a great idea.

Reaction Score
This absolutely does happen in basketball. I can't see why it wouldn't happen in Football. Most of the time, by the time a recruit releases their "Top __" They've already made their decision and are making a post to get themselves more attention and get people hyped up... it makes the announcement bigger, yk.

I have a feeling this happened with Ayobami Tifase and Tawfiq Byard... Both included UConn as an 'odd one out' kind of choice in their Top 5's. It doesn't hurt them and it helps UConn a bit so at least other people are helping get UConn's name out there.

Reaction Score
There is value in having a legit shot at seeing the field right away. There is value in having a legit shot to start right away. There is value in going to a program headed by a new coach with P5 and NFL head coaching experience. There is value in going to a program with a track record of putting players into the NFL. And finally, there is value to going somewhere which has great facilities. In the final analysis, the astute SA could easily weight the factors in a way that favors UConn despite the recent record.

Reaction Score
There is value in having a legit shot at seeing the field right away. There is value in having a legit shot to start right away. There is value in going to a program headed by a new coach with P5 and NFL head coaching experience. There is value in going to a program with a track record of putting players into the NFL. And finally, there is value to going somewhere which has great facilities. In the final analysis, the astute SA could easily weight the factors in a way that favors UConn despite the recent record.
I never understand this argument - those factors you listed literally apply to asu (and would’ve at Illinois up until a year ago).

More, do we really tell a recruit come here and you’ll play early? What kind of message would that be to the team? No one should get promised anything other than an opportunity to play if they commit themselves.

The only thing I understand less is what drives these 17-18 year olds.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have told this story before on here... I had a co-worker who ended up playing at PSU, but he strongly considered WVU because he loved their uniform colors.

There are a lot of variables that go into where a kid chooses to play.

Reaction Score
More, do we really tell a recruit come here and you’ll play early? What kind of message would that be to the team? No one should get promised anything other than an opportunity to play if they commit themselves.

The only thing I understand less is what drives these 17-18 year olds.
It’s not about promising kids they can play early it’s about looking at the depth chart and realizing in some places they aren’t going to get the opportunity to play until 2-3 years in regardless of how much they commit themselves, and other places that’s not the case.

Reaction Score

I agree with this, and believe that most players are thinking this way nowadays what with information being much more readily available and therefore you don't have to rely on the syrupy words of a coach whispering in Momma's ear, so to speak.

Your 5-Stars and high 4-stars are predominately focused on which program affords them the clearest and most present shot at an NFL job out of school. The NIL stuff will become increasingly important to the other tiered recruits, I believe, and then there is a cohort that just want to play because they enjoy the sport - which is a pretty broad population relative to the creme-de-la-creme.

UCONN is in a good place for Mora's Year Zero. He basically gets to rebuild from the ground and therefore will have the opportunity to set a foundation that dynamically addresses the needs of our recruits. Whether we as a program can grow to the point where we are able to attract the Best of The Best will largely depend on the work Mora (and Benedict, to a degree) does here in the present.

I DO think there is a world where we could eventually pull a 5-Star kid, perhaps starting with one of the State's Prep schools. More than a few of those players pass through the State every year, and whether they hail geographically from here or not shouldn't have any bearing on us offering if we like the kid. Heck, most of those institutions are in UCONN's literal back yard, anyway making the entire visit process somewhat academic.

Reaction Score
Interesting view of NBA draft by college 2000-2020

Kentucky has flooded the NBA since 2000 but only has the 2008 Championship to show for it.

Reaction Score

Why would Mora ever do that? If they are top 3, they are top 3. The reason you go after those guys is to build a relatinship if they ever transfer, they can make a quick decision. And, it also helps recruit any teammates and freinds.

UConn should offer every P5 guy in CT BTW while they are long shots or not.

Reaction Score
It’s not about promising kids they can play early it’s about looking at the depth chart and realizing in some places they aren’t going to get the opportunity to play until 2-3 years in regardless of how much they commit themselves, and other places that’s not the case.
Exactly. No coach is gonna promise anything. They are gonna point out current strengths and weaknesses on their team, where a player might best fit it, where the competitive opportunities lie. Promises? I highly doubt it.

Reaction Score
I think outside of WR and RB there's definitely room to get some playing time. That doesn't mean everyone starts, but I definitely can see some of the underclassman getting some snaps due to depth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom