Recruiting Bigs | The Boneyard

Recruiting Bigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I peruse ( I assume like all of you)the ESPN women basketball recruits for future graduating classes. I focus on girls that are 6’5”, or taller… No UCONN??… either we are in the mix and not getting them, or we are not pursuing them in the first place. I always see South Carolina, LSU, Baylor, Stanford, Oregon… I realize that being tall does not make you a good player… I just think that these schools must believe that these girls are tall and impactful. Can you imagine the past four years if we had Boston?IMO…. Would you rather have exceptional bigs with good guards, or good bigs with exceptional guards ?

Reaction Score
It's not from a lack of trying........many here thought Boston was headed here and Charlie Collier was headed here until a last-minute change of heart.........if I remember correctly UConn was also recruiting Amihere at least for a while and more recently Cunningham.......you'll see others currently being considered on the recruiting page.......

Reaction Score
You would think post players would want to come here for many obvious reasons, but most specifically because they get to learn form CD.

Reaction Score
My guess is some of the top recruiters are using the "Bigs don't develop and are not valued at UConn.." against us when they interview the top high school players. Justified or not, that seems to be the narrative that's growing the last several years.

Reaction Score
Bigs like Boston don't come around too often. She not only has height, but she has some weight and agility too. She will make some team in the WNBA an instant contender. You take her off the SC team and they might still be Top 10 but not even close to 1

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I peruse ( I assume like all of you)the ESPN women basketball recruits for future graduating classes. I focus on girls that are 6’5”, or taller… No UCONN??… either we are in the mix and not getting them, or we are not pursuing them in the first place. I always see South Carolina, LSU, Baylor, Stanford, Oregon… I realize that being tall does not make you a good player… I just think that these schools must believe that these girls are tall and impactful. Can you imagine the past four years if we had Boston?IMO…. Would you rather have exceptional bigs with good guards, or good bigs with exceptional guards ?
If we had landed Boston, IMO, we would have won at least 2 NC's.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bigs like Boston don't come around too often. She not only has height, but she has some weight and agility too. She will make some team in the WNBA an instant contender. You take her off the SC team and they might still be Top 10 but not even close to 1
Looking at their current starting lineup, they lose all 5 starters, ALL are seniors. [Link]

1675901728179.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As has been said many times, UConn is not for everyone. Geno promises nothing to a recruit. You have to work hard, improve and earn you minutes on the court. Not all players want that.

There are coaches that that will promise playing time and other thins during recruitment. Recruitment is not all nicey nicey either.

There are very few Aaliyah Boston's out there. If I remember correctly, she was down to UConn and SC. Evidently SC and Dawn had something Aaliyah wanted that UConn didn't. And a lot of times, it just feels right for a recruit. That is the way recruiting goes.

Reaction Score

It's a short list every year, but UConn has two 6'5+ players on it's roster right now. And if you whittle down the list of HS players with skills that will carry over to college it gets very short. I think the question really being asked is why Geno didn't sign one post in particular. The discussion is really about Boston.

Reaction Score
Many of us have been banging that drum for years…and, to no avail….its great to have shooters, but, when the outside shot isn’t falling….well….its been a while since the Huskies have had a great balance inside and out…we continue to get shooters, but, lately, teams with bigs have caused us problems…and, yes, have we had a big or two…well, kind of, but, not always healthy…since 5’10” Gabby trying to defend Miss State’s 6’7” McGowan, we’ve had height issues…and I would argue, its cost us. Present day, both USC and Stanford wouldn’t be where they are without good BIGs…and, it isn’t easy to do battle against either without a similar front line…UNLESS you‘re shooting the lights out. Am still hoping a healthy Ayanna, Ice & Jana, and hopefully, another incoming BIG, can give us the frontline presence we need. While I Love our team’s effort, am hoping for reinforcements up front to make it a bit easier.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Many of us have been banging that drum for years…and, to no avail….its great to have shooters, but, when the outside shot isn’t falling….well….its been a while since the Huskies have had a great balance inside and out…we continue to get shooters, but, lately, teams with bigs have caused us problems…and, yes, have we had a big or two…well, kind of, but, not always healthy…since 5’10” Gabby trying to defend Miss State’s 6’7” McGowan, we’ve had height issues…and I would argue, its cost us. Present day, both USC and Stanford wouldn’t be where they are without good BIGs…and, it isn’t easy to do battle against either without a similar front line…UNLESS you‘re shooting the lights out. Am still hoping a healthy Ayanna, Ice & Jana, and hopefully, another incoming BIG, can give us the frontline presence we need. While I Love our team’s effort, am hoping for reinforcements up front to make it a bit easier.
Why don’t you go apply for the Recruiting Coordinator job? Then you can stop bitching and do something about your problem

Reaction Score
Maybe some players think their chances of playing are greater at schools that put more players on the court. At UConn, once the top 6-7 lineup is determined, no one else plays except for garbage minutes at the end, unless there are injuries or foul trouble with starter. I don't know, but schools like Stanford and SC do seem to have more players getting actual game minutes.

Reaction Score
Maybe some players think their chances of playing are greater at schools that put more players on the court. At UConn, once the top 6-7 lineup is determined, no one else plays except for garbage minutes at the end, unless there are injuries or foul trouble with starter. I don't know, but schools like Stanford and SC do seem to have more players getting actual game minutes.
Hard to believe Boston wouldn’t have seen strong minutes from the start if she had played here. There are other outstanding freshmen who come into UConn that start immediately.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hard to believe Boston wouldn’t have seen strong minutes from the start if she had played here. There are other outstanding freshmen who come into UConn that start immediately.
Of course there are, like Stef Dolson, Stewie, and Aaliyah Edwards. Or, to go back a bit further, Tina Charles. Olivia Nelson-Ododa got a lot of minutes as a freshman even though she didn't start. If a freshman post player has skills and a work ethic comparable to the upper-class alternatives, she will start and/or get significant minutes. But if she is a "project" (as DeBerry and Patterson are proving to be), that is a different story.

Reaction Score
My guess is some of the top recruiters are using the "Bigs don't develop and are not valued at UConn.." against us when they interview the top high school players. Justified or not, that seems to be the narrative that's growing the last several years.
Really? What source? You can only get what you can it. Like any program, you recruit players that fit the needs of the team for certain spots. If we need a "Big" I am sure the coaching staff would look for that tall big.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Alot depends on your coaching philosophy. Some programs like the traditional "exceptional" bigs with good guards. Over the years, coaching high school girls basketball, I have gone towards the good bigs with exceptional guards because either the bigs lack the skill set to play in the post area, the bigs they like to play on the perimeter, or the bigs and littles are similar so we play positionless basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom