Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I might've seen it at some point way back when, but really don't remember. Prime has "Serving Sara" with Matthew Perry and Elizabeth Hurley. It's fluff and forgettable, but entertaining enough. I kinda forgot that Perry actually had some decent roles outside of "Friends." I did not forget about Ms. Hurley. Early 2000s...yowza! This also included Cedric the Entertainer, Terry Crews, Jerry Stiller and an at that point not very well established Amy Adams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
See How They Run. 2022. Wife wanted to see it in cinema, but with my hearing I wanted to watch at home. Lucky it is streaming on HBOMax already. Stars Saorise Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody and others. It’s a twist on an Agatha Christie murder mystery that involves a London play and movie to be made of an Agatha Christie story. If you like those kinds of things you’ll like this. Saorise Ronan is adorable as a newby police constable. Rockwell is the Inspector. Brody serves as kind of a narrator and is a movie director. The film acknowledges the challenges of making such a film, so it’s a fun twist. Not long, under 2 hours.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Press Play" just arrived on Hulu. I'd been curious to watch it for a while. I haven't seen much of her, but I really like Clara Rugaard. I still think she's Alicia Vikander's little sister, even though Clara is Danish and Alicia is Swedish. Anyway. Can't say too much about it without spoilers. Clara starts dating her best friend's step brother. He gets hit by a car and dies. 4 years later she's not doing well. She reacquires a mix tape they made together. When she starts listening to it, she is transported back to the time they first heard the song together. So she tries to "fix" the past. Time space continuum stuff happens. I thought it was decent and kept my interest. Danny Glover was in it, I haven't seen him on screen in forever, good to see him again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen Alison Pill in a number of films. I always thought her performances were fine, but didn't really jump out at me. That changed after watching "All My Puny Sorrows." It's a tough watch, but she knocked it out of the park. She's a struggling writer going thru a divorce, having difficulties with her teen daughter, and her sister is suicidal. A lot on her plate. Then her aunt has heart problems. She and her mom (Mare Winningham) are barely hanging on. Oh yeah, the dad committed suicide when the sisters were still kids. The sister is portrayed by Sarah Gadon. I swear, every time I've seen her either something tragic happens to her, or something tragic happens to someone around her, and it's probably her fault. As lovely as she is, if you see her coming RUN THE OTHER WAY! It's on Hulu. If you can handle it being fairly bleak, some really strong acting performances.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Had "I Want You Back" on my list for a while, finally watched it. On Prime. Fairly funny. Jenny Slate and Charlie Day are well matched, they're both kind of irritating, yet endearing at the same time. Basic set up, they both got dumped. They work in the same building on different floors. Both go out to the stairwell to have a breakdown, where they encounter each other. They become friends and an emotional support network, then hatch a hair brained scheme to the sabotage the new relationships of each others exes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finally watched Elvis last night. I was very apprehensive because I couldn't stand the clips I had heard and seen of Hanks as Col. Tom, but enough people raved about Austin Butler's performance that I had to see it.

Hanks was not as bad or distracting as I had feared; and I thought the movie did a good job portraying the essentials of the story in an effective way, including the inspiration for the music and the relationship between Parker and Presley.

Butler was outstanding and will definitely be nominated. I thought the movie was a little too long and dragged a bit; yet at the same time it seemed to rush through or skip over significant periods. And I didn't like the infusion of the hip hop songs during a few scenes at all. I thought that was very jarring.

I really wish I could have edited the film. With just a little work it could have been excellent; as it is, I think it's very good, but flawed.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Artic (2018)

A man is stranded in the Arctic after an plane crash. Well the conditions are demanding he is able to survive by adhering to a strict schedule. Every day for a set period of time he climbs a mountain and hand cranks a signal beacon. One day a helicopter spots him but crashes as it tries to land. Of the two pilots one dies, and one is barely alive. She is only able to indicate that she survives by squeezing his hand. It becomes apparent that she is fading so he is faced with the decision of whether to make a multiple day journey to a seasonal camp or continue to stay where he is even though she is likely to die.

This is a pretty interesting and compelling movie despite the fact that there is virtually no dialogue.

Reaction Score
The Night House (2020) - Rebecca Hall stars as Beth, a woman who’s husband has just committed suicide just prior to the start of this film. Beth is obviously unnerved by this event. As time goes by, Beth makes progress at going through her husband’s belongings, and begins to find stuff that she finds rather odd. At the same time, weird things start occurring in the house they lived in, and around the lake community that that they were a part of. Ghostly figures start to appear and then disappear around the lake neighborhood, and there is some sort of invisible presence in the house as well that shows up from time to time. While the movie held my attention, it is a bit hard to follow as a lot of the stuff that occurs is not exactly clear, so you really have to pay attention as to what is going on. Still, this is a somewhat interesting and watchable horror film.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finally watched "Top Gun Maverick." I certainly enjoyed it, but I must totally be missing something. I can't believe how hyped up this movie was, the experience did not match the fanfare for me. Mav trying to reconcile with Goose's son was compelling. The romance felt totally shoehorned in and out of place. Mav and Iceman sharing a moment together felt like it was totally for the nostalgia and was given so little screen time, it didn't really fit either. We got some character development with the new crop of hotshot pilots, but not that much, then it was a rush to get to the mission. And why does no one seem to be picking apart how ludicrous some of the plot was? We practically had a "let go and use the Force, Luke" kind of moment in this, only there's no Force to use. In addition to borrowing from Star Wars, then we got a VERY condensed version of "Behind Enemy Lines" squeezed in. There were probably even a few dashes of "Stealth" thrown in here. It was entertaining, but the many reviews making it out to be one of the best movies ever make me wonder if others saw a different film than I did. For me, Kosinski's previous film w/ Cruise "Oblivion" was much better. Nostalgia is a powerful drug y'all.

Okay, had to look up the director on IMDB. He did "Only the Brave." That was a massively superior film to this. Interestingly Miles Teller and Jennifer Connelly were both in that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Black Adam. Wife wanted to go to the movies. So, the Rock stars as Teth Adam (new name comes at the end) an ancient hero given powers by the "council of wizards" (Shazam backstory). Sarah Shahi is the lovely leading lady/mom/researcher. It starts with a ten minute backstory that could have been a movie. This is what DC does wrong over and over. Cut to today and evil corpo types are controlling some country that may be the Middle East or may be North Africa (like a DC Wakanda). Teth Adam is released by the researcher, wipes the floor with people, and the Justice Society is called in. Mistake two here. I watched most of the crappy DC movies, so I know who "Waller" is. Most people don't and it isn't explained. Nor that Hawkman keeps being reincarnated forever. Aldis Hodge is ok an overly angry Hawkman, who needs a few beers. Pierce Brosnan is dashing as Dr. Fate (who is kind of Dr. Strange). Quintessa Swindell is Cylcone, new hero and is wow pretty in this. Some dude is "Atom Smasher" the dorkiest superhero ever. I think they were going for Peter Parker teen angst and missed wildly. Anyway, Justice Society fight Adam, lose. Eventually talk Adam down from his anger (which they finally explain). Then worse guy shows up, and they need Adam to put him down. There are several good lines, and chuckles, it's not entirely unenjoyable, but it's probably 3 movies compressed and pieced together so that none of it makes sense as a single story.

If you ever sat through Zach Snyder's incredibly long director cut of Justice League (I did) it stands out how much better he made it by making it 4 freaking hours long. You see just how much backstory is cut (an hour and a half). DC does this over and over again. This movie relies on backstory from that, and from Shazam (which is probably the most fun DC movie). They just do a terrible job of connecting the dots. Somebody over there just doesn't get it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
All Quiet on the Western Front. Netflix. German with subtitles. Cinematically gorgeous, even when portraying ugly, horrible things, which is most of the time. Flares over a smoke filled stretch of battlefield for example. Daniel Bruhl is the only actor that is well known here, but the cast does a really good job. What it does well, as any good WWI movie should, is strip away any false sense of glory from the reality of war. The kids signing up early in the film thought they'd see glory and honor, and were met with cold, death, mud and relentless horror. I liked 1917 better, it's more entertaining and novel, but it was refreshing to see this one from the German perspective. Unlike WWII, there really weren't good or bad guys in this war. Long, a bit slow at times, but recommended. Also recommend the Museum of the Great War if you are in France (we stopped on the way from Paris to Bruges).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All Quiet on the Western Front. Netflix. German with subtitles. Cinematically gorgeous, even when portraying ugly, horrible things, which is most of the time. Flares over a smoke filled stretch of battlefield for example. Daniel Bruhl is the only actor that is well known here, but the cast does a really good job. What it does well, as any good WWI movie should, is strip away any false sense of glory from the reality of war. The kids signing up early in the film thought they'd see glory and honor, and were met with cold, death, mud and relentless horror. I liked 1917 better, it's more entertaining and novel, but it was refreshing to see this one from the German perspective. Unlike WWII, there really weren't good or bad guys in this war. Long, a bit slow at times, but recommended. Also recommend the Museum of the Great War if you are in France (we stopped on the way from Paris to Bruges).
After having been to Flanders and taking a WW1 tour, I'm very critical of movies that don't depict the total wasteland and harsh conditions in the trenches. This movie captures that very well. The few moments of humor once the horrors of war sink in are dark, borne of desperation. The movie was as depressing as the book as it should be.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
After having been to Flanders and taking a WW1 tour, I'm very critical of movies that don't depict the total wasteland and harsh conditions in the trenches. This movie captures that very well. The few moments of humor once the horrors of war sink in are dark, borne of desperation. The movie was as depressing as the book as it should be.
Agreed. I don't think the movie needs to be depressing to convey that. 1917 was tense, taught and you felt more of the fear. Wipers Times was funny, but was indeed conveying the reality of misery and honestly, stupidity or the war.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't think the movie needs to be depressing to convey that. 1917 was tense, taught and you felt more of the fear. Wipers Times was funny, but was indeed conveying the reality of misery and honestly, stupidity or the war.
My point was more that the book was as depressing as they come for war books, and the movie stayed true to that instead of lightening up the story.

CL82

Reaction Score
I watched Glengarry Glen Ross for the first time. Sure I’d seen that coffee‘s for closers scenes many times, but I had never watched the movie. Have to say the David Mamet dialogue is great and Jack Lemmon really kills his role, though everyone is very good. I don’t know what I was expecting, but what happened wasn’t it.

Good movie.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Enola Holmes 2. Netflix. Millie Bobby Brown (Enola), Henry Cavill (Sherlock), Helena Bonham Carter (their mother) and Louis Partridge (Tewkesbury). They paid Millie quite a bit for this. Picks up where the other left off, more or less. There is some flashback/backstory for anyone who didn't see the original. Stylistically, it's like the first one, which uses the Ferris Bueller approach of the lead character narrating to the audience at times. It was more effective in the first movie but still works. It's not as fun or clever as the original, but is still pretty good. There is a Sherlock Holmes style mystery to be solved, and Moriarty is introduced. There's a real event at the heart of this story, the Matchgirls’ Strike of 1888. There's something endearing about the character Enola that carries it, so credit to Millie for that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Greatest Beer Run Ever. Apple, 2022. Wife got me this book, but I didn't get to reading it. Based on a true story. Zac Efron (Chickie Donohue), Bill Murray, Russell Crowe. It's 1967 in New York City, and a group of people keep seeing their friends and neighbors die in Vietnam. The reactions to this vary quite a bit. Zac Efron is a merchant marine home from his last voyage. While at a bar, he and his friends are talking about how to support the guys they know still in Nam, including one good friend who is MIA. Efron says he'll get on a merchant ship headed for Vietnam and bring them beers. All cheer, but since he's lazy and doesn't follow through they don't expect him to. Those boys' moms and siblings give him things to bring them. Guilted by all of this he checks, and indeed can get on a boat. Loaded up with PBR, he does just that, and proceeds to try to bring his friends beers. This is enjoyable, and often funny. It's also useful to see how Chickie comes to understand the reality of the war in Vietnam. The level of bureaucracy and idiocy around what's going on is quite funny. I don't want to spoil that.

Reaction Score
Enola Holmes 2. Netflix. Millie Bobby Brown (Enola), Henry Cavill (Sherlock), Helena Bonham Carter (their mother) and Louis Partridge (Tewkesbury). They paid Millie quite a bit for this. Picks up where the other left off, more or less. There is some flashback/backstory for anyone who didn't see the original. Stylistically, it's like the first one, which uses the Ferris Bueller approach of the lead character narrating to the audience at times. It was more effective in the first movie but still works. It's not as fun or clever as the original, but is still pretty good. There is a Sherlock Holmes style mystery to be solved, and Moriarty is introduced. There's a real event at the heart of this story, the Matchgirls’ Strike of 1888. There's something endearing about the character Enola that carries it, so credit to Millie for that.

I watched it with my sister. She liked it. It didn't feel like an "A" movie. Felt more like your basic BBC fare. Not terrible, not great.

CL82

Reaction Score
Children of a Lesser God (1986)

I’ve never watched this movie and I am not a huge melodrama fan, but I have to say it was pretty good. The premise is that a teacher (William Heart) at a school for the deaf is intrigued by the deaf janitor (21-year-old Marlee Matlin) who refuses to talk. He tries to convince her to let him teach her how to talk and she refuses. After a single day he stalks her while she is swimming naked in a pool and tells her that he loves her. Creepy? You bet, but I think we’re supposed to ignore that. The tension between the two of them worth her refusal to speak and his desire to help her is a proxy for excepting people as they are.

It one multiple Academy Awards including best picture and best actress for Marlee Matlin.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Carbon Copy (1981) - Saw the second half of this film I had never heard of. HYSTERICAL!!!!

George Segal is a high-falootin' executive when his 17-yo illegitimate sone, Denzel Washington shows up. Suddenly, his wife dumps him, he gets fired, loses everything but the money in his wallet.

Life sucks for a couple of days while him and his son try and rebound.

Many laughs.

Reaction Score
Marvel just keeps sinking to new lows. "Thor: Love and Thunder" was awful. Just so dumb. Buffoonish. Not funny even though they tried way to hard to be. Gorr could've been a good villain in a different movie but was wasted here. Everything was a waste. Taika Waititi is dead to me after this mess. But Guns N Roses must've made a boatload of money off this stinker, I think at least 4 of their songs were featured. And we got Dio's "Rainbows in the Dark" playing during the end credits, so at least it had that going for it. Disney really is out to murder the golden goose with the MCU.
I liked it, but it was a bit of a mess. It seems to me there is a trend with some movies of late to spend too much time rapidly setting up the entire movie. Much like that last of the new Star Wars movies where they had to re-tell a lot of the story to reset from the Last Jedi debacle. This Thor movie suffered badly from that. Once it settled into the story, it was at least decent. But that first 30-40 minutes was hectic and shoddy. A lot of George Lucas-esque quick half-assed takes cobbled together. I really enjoy movies that can pull you in with a slow burn style. This is the exact opposite, and for me, a huge turn off.

Reaction Score
Finally watched "Top Gun Maverick." I certainly enjoyed it, but I must totally be missing something. I can't believe how hyped up this movie was, the experience did not match the fanfare for me. Mav trying to reconcile with Goose's son was compelling. The romance felt totally shoehorned in and out of place. Mav and Iceman sharing a moment together felt like it was totally for the nostalgia and was given so little screen time, it didn't really fit either. We got some character development with the new crop of hotshot pilots, but not that much, then it was a rush to get to the mission. And why does no one seem to be picking apart how ludicrous some of the plot was? We practically had a "let go and use the Force, Luke" kind of moment in this, only there's no Force to use. In addition to borrowing from Star Wars, then we got a VERY condensed version of "Behind Enemy Lines" squeezed in. There were probably even a few dashes of "Stealth" thrown in here. It was entertaining, but the many reviews making it out to be one of the best movies ever make me wonder if others saw a different film than I did. For me, Kosinski's previous film w/ Cruise "Oblivion" was much better. Nostalgia is a powerful drug y'all.

Okay, had to look up the director on IMDB. He did "Only the Brave." That was a massively superior film to this. Interestingly Miles Teller and Jennifer Connelly were both in that.
Tend to agree, but the last half hour of the movie made it for me. The first three quarters was very nostalgic and formulaic and if it had just ended there, I would have been similarly disappointed. Instead, they went off script and it ended on a very high note IMO.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Went last night with my daughter, home from college. There is an element of tribute to Chadwick Boseman here, and I think that’s fine. The story is mostly pretty decent, although the overselling of technology and “vibranium“ is a bit much. It’s a metal people. The new MIT genius is ok I guess. If any of you remember the old Sub-Mariner (Namor) from the comics, well he makes his arrival in this. They changed his backstory and made him a sort of bad guy. Wakanda is in trouble because it won’t do what he wants and battle ensues. They need a new Black Panther to take on Namor, who will it be. Cinematography is pretty good, CGI and otherwise. I do appreciate the colors in Africa and in this one, in Haiti. Costumes are excellent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom