Recently Watched Movies 2022 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

Reaction Score
Welcome to the new Recently Seen Movie Thread!!!

Previous Editions: 2018 -- 2019 -- 2020 -- 2021

Year End Movie Review Roundup!!! (for postings in 2021 only)

Mano:

Total movies watched: 101

The Croods: A New Age, Underwater, Happiest Season, Extra Ordinary, Logan Lucky, The Command, Wolf Walkers, Greyhound, Austenland, The Little Things, Cowboys & Aliens, I Tonya, The Art of Self-Defense, Source Code, The Gentleman, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, 21 Bridges, I Care a Lot, Richard Jewell, Coming 2 America, mid90s, Fighting with My Family, Possessor, Bad Trip, Godzilla vs. Kong, A Most Violent Year, High-Rise, The Big Sick, Zathura: A Space Adventure, The Girl with All the Gifts, Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, Astro Boy, Raya and the Last Dragon, Polar, Limitless, Velvet Buzzsaw, Mortal Kombat, Ponyo, Emma., Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, The Mitchell's vs. the Machines, Greenland, Those Who Wish Me Dead, El Camino, I Used to Go Here, Cruella, Don't Think Twice, Luca, Jungle Cruise, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Freaky, Timeline, Vivo, The Suicide Squad, A Quiet Place Part II, Reminiscence, Terminator: Genisys, Love and Monsters, Vacation Friends, Dinosaur, Playing With Fire, Kate, Malignant, The Ritual, Hereditary, Apostle, Promising Young Woman, The Many Saints of Newark, Black Widow, Event Horizon, Free Guy, Dune, F9: The Fast Saga, Old, The Addams Family 2, A Knight's Tale, Nobody, The Green Knight, Finch, Bumblebee, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Sweet Home Alone, Love Hard, 8-Bit Christmas, Console Wars, Dragged Across Concrete, Encanto, Riders of Justice, Another Round, The Matrix Resurrections, Back to the Outback, Ron's Gone Wrong, Rumble, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Don't Look Up, Klaus, Mortal, PAW Patrol: The Movie, Darkest Hour, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, No Time To Die

2021 Top 5:

Dune
2. Greyhound
3. Hereditary
4. I, Tonya
5. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Just Missed:

Logan Lucky, The Gentleman, Cruella, Encanto, Luca, Darkest Hour

@nwhoopfan

Total movies watched: 95

Fierce, The New Mutants, Outside the Wire, Bill & Ted Face the Music, The Foreigner, Firefox, Space Sweepers, Freaky, Tenet, Moxie, Sentinelle, The Informer, The Kid Detective, The Broken Hearts Gallery, Promising Young Woman, Mayhem, Journey to the West, The Map of Tiny Perfect Things, Lady Bloodfight, Lifeforce, Interstate 60, The Student and Mr. Henri, The Sweetest Thing, Barbarella, The Darkest Hour, Dirt Music, Her Best Move, Mary Goes Round, Tainted, The Transporter Refueled, Chaos Walking, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael, Sea Fever, Very Good Girls, Summer Eleven, Wild Child, Army of the Dead, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Echo in the Canyon, The Broken Circle Breakdown, 10 Years, The Tomorrow War, Snow Day, Jolt, Black Widow, Our Friend, Suck, Little Black Book, Standby, Fanny's Journey, Wrath of Man, Finding You, Stardom, Pixie, As Cool As I Am, The Moth Diaries, Afterlife of the Party, Beckett, Nightbooks, Kate, The High Note, Mortal Kombat, Opening Night, F9: The Fast Saga, Broken Diamonds, French Exit, Triple 9, Letters to Juliet, Destination Wedding, Walk of Shame, A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas, Dear John, Lying and Stealing, Night Teeth, The Protege, Love Spreads, Cruella, The Suicide Squad, Boss Level, We Broke Up, Palm Springs, Riders of Justice, Free Guy, Happiest Season, Red Notice, Playing God, Crazy About You, Spoiled Brats, Naked Singularity, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, Little Fish, Don't Look Up, The Alpinist, 14 Peaks, Burnt

@HuskyHawk

Total movies watched: 60

Ava, Greyhound, Enola Holmes, Extraction, Sylvie's Love, Greenland, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, One Night in Miami, Wander, The November Man, The Little Things, Radium Girls, Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition, I Care a Lot, Night Watch, Coming 2 America, Zack Snyder's Justice League, SAS: Red Notice, Godzilla vs. Kong, Seaspiracy, The Courier, Mortal Kombat, Blithe Spirit, Things Heard and Seen, Boys From County Hell, Cruella, The Good Traitor, The Mortuary Collection, The Last Vermeer, No Sudden Move, The Tomorrow War, Monster Hunter, Gunpowder Milkshake, Six Minutes to Midnight, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy, Reminiscence, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Malignant, No Time to Die, Dune, The Inheritance, The Green Knight, Last Night in Soho, The Harder They Fall, News of the World, Finch, Prometheus, A Boy Called Christmas, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, Oblivion, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Belfast, Army of the Dead, CBGB, Arthur Christmas, Being the Ricardos, The Matrix Resurrections, Don't Look Up

@Dove

Total movies watched: 48

The Trial of the Chicago 7, Overlord, Dark Was the Night, Goin' South, Polar, Outside the Wire, The Longest Yard, Point Blank, The Sound of Metal, The First Texan, Sicario, Wander, Up in Smoke, The Silencing, Ava, The Dig, Mortal, Let Him Go, I Care a Lot, Nomadland, 12 Hour Shift, Greenland, Walkaway Joe, Best in Show, Unhinged, Godzilla vs. Kong, Instant Family, Blue Miracle, Riders of Justice, Human Capital, Minari, Paydirt, Concrete Cowboy, Pig, Nobody, Malignant, Hell Fest, Ant-Man, The Bar, A Quiet Place Part II, The Deep House, Real Steel, Chaos Walking, Shadow in the Clouds, Four Christmases, Sideways, Don't Look Up, The Unforgivable

@storrsroars

Total movies watched: 26

Easy A, One Night in Miami, War on Everyone, Below Zero, American Assassin, The Bank Job, Homefront, Redemption, Ava, 6 Underground, Acts of Violence, First Kill, Marauders, I Am Wrath, The Debt Collector, The Debt Collector 2, I Care a Lot, Seaspiracy, Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, Angel Heart, The Fisher King, All Nighter, The Guilty, The Forgotten Battle, Don't Look Up, Being the Ricardos

@dbmill

Total movies watched: 20

First Cow, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Kajillionaire, Coraline, A Lady Takes a Chance, Tesla, My Favorite Year, About a Boy, Heaven Help Us, Soul, The Secret Garden, The Lady in the Van, Cadillac Records, The Trip to Italy, Matinee, The Water Man, The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Legend of Hell House, On the Rocks, The Informant!, One Night In Miami

@nelsonmuntz

Total movies watched: 18

The Foreigner, The Midnight Sky, Greyhound, Being There, Barbarians at the Gate, Lady Bird, The King of Staten Island, I Care a Lot, Timeline, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Gentleman, The Laundromat, Rules of Attraction, Dune, King Richard, The Two Popes, The Meyerowitz Stories. Don't Look Up

@Kolumbo

Total movies watched: 17

The Frozen Ground, Mile 22, Dangerous Lies, Hangman, Unknown, The Midnight Sky, Spencer Confidential, Self/less, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Outside the Wire, Last Train from Gun Hill, Crazy Stupid Love, Skyfall, The Circle, Knives Out, Fire With Fire, Destination Wedding

@Deepster

Total movies watched: 12

Inside Man, That Thing You Do, The Gift, Seabiscuit, John Wick, Cherry, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, The Tomorrow War, Death Proof, Coda, tick, tick...BOOM

@CL82

Total movies watched: 12

Knuckleball, Boss Level, Greyhound, Alien Origin, Nomadland, Fear of Rain, Finch, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, Gods and Monsters, Doctor Sleep, Out of Death, Leave No Trace

@ZooCougar

Total movies watched: 9

The Hunt, Greenland, The King of Staten Island, Chronicle, Nomadland, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, No Time to Die, Dune, Eternals

@8893

Total movies watched: 8

Jimmy Carter: Rock & Roll President, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, Nomadland, Muscle Shoals, Summer of Soul, Don't Look Up, The Unforgivable, Power of the Dog

@Waquoit

Total movies watched: 7

On the Rocks, Set It Up, Dream Horse, Summer of Soul, Roadrunner, Shazam!, The French Dispatch

@Letsgohuskies11

Total movies watched: 6

Calibre, The Forgotten Battle, Dune, Creep, The Alpinist, 14 Peaks

@Palatine

Total movies watched: 5

Kajillionaire, Rapture-Palooza, Nobody, Free Guy, The French Dispatch

@Rugger36

Total movies watched: 5

Cherry, Greyhound, The Courier, Nobody, Don't Look Up

@Deadrody

Total movies watched: 4

Chaos Walking, Jungle Cruise, Cruella, The Green Knight

@Hey Adrien!

Total movies watched: 3

In the Heights, Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, Don't Look Up

@Jay-Bone

Total movies watched: 3

The Nightengale, Pig, The Last Duel

@Bliss

Total movies watched: 1

Unfaithful

@zymurg

Legend

@LIuconn

Operation Odessa

@Chin Diesel

I Care a Lot

@Tommyboy

Love and Monsters

@Magruber

Human Capital

@Kaizen

Jungle Cruise

@Sonofabeach

Don't Breathe 2

@Duncan Idaho

Dune

@billybud

House of Gucci

@Ewekon

West Side Story​

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So it seems that the "count" is based only on posts where the title is given at the start, and not subsequent comments after seeing the movie. Didn't know that. I'll try to do better on that in 2022.

Girlfriend's Day (2017, Netflix). Silly and short (70 minutes) film featuring Bob Odenkirk as a guy who was once the world's best romantic greeting card writer, but who's had writer's block for three years, loses his job, then becomes the target of competing interests who wish to force him to write the winning card for a new holiday, called "Girlfriend's Day". Black humor and absurdities about. Enjoyable for Odenkirk fans, and Amber Tamblyn is decent. Stacy Keach plays an over the top corporate greeting card magnate and manages to make you believe it's an actual thing. But good that it was short as there wasn't much else one could've added to the story/concept.

Reaction Score
So it seems that the "count" is based only on posts where the title is given at the start, and not subsequent comments after seeing the movie. Didn't know that. I'll try to do better on that in 2022.

I tried to take note of posts that seemed obvious where the poster had clearly seen the movie or at least that I could infer as much. I didn’t go back and reread every post though so it’s very possible I might’ve missed a few. Some people like to reply and follow on with their thoughts and I think I captured most of those but again I’m sure some slipped through.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On to '22! Finally saw the latest Bond movie, No Time to Die. Is there any reason this needed to be more than 2 1/2 hours long? I think a lot of fat could've been trimmed. Some of it was fairly dull. Rami was in full overacting mode. Ana wasn't on screen nearly long enough. For the wrapping up of the Daniel Craig era, I give it a hearty meh.

I think I've said it before, but to me the Bond franchise is struggling to maintain its relevance. The Bourne movies were better. For edge of your seat high tension and totally over the top action scenes, Bond can't even remotely keep up with Mission Impossible. And then there was the first Kingsman, which was kind of loving tribute and savage spoof at the same time, also better IMO than any Bond movie in forever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On to '22! Finally saw the latest Bond movie, No Time to Die. Is there any reason this needed to be more than 2 1/2 hours long? I think a lot of fat could've been trimmed. Some of it was fairly dull. Rami was in full overacting mode. Ana wasn't on screen nearly long enough. For the wrapping up of the Daniel Craig era, I give it a hearty meh.

I think I've said it before, but to me the Bond franchise is struggling to maintain its relevance. The Bourne movies were better. For edge of your seat high tension and totally over the top action scenes, Bond can't even remotely keep up with Mission Impossible. And then there was the first Kingsman, which was kind of loving tribute and savage spoof at the same time, also better IMO than any Bond movie in forever.
Yes and no. The Bond formula differs from Bourne and MI in a couple of ways; a) memorable villains, b) love interests, c) humor appropriate to the situation. I'd also note that because Bond has been played by several actors, you think of the character more than the actor. In the MI franchise, you think Tom Cruise and all that entails, good and bad. Bourne is somewhere in-between the two, but is also the most robotic of the three.

I agree that Kingsman was the best tribute ever to the Bond franchise. Loved the original, liked the sequel, want to see the third.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Being The Ricardos (2021) - I wasn't captivated at all. I thought JK overacted too much and came off as strange. Aside from seeing some of the interaction of the stars between filming, I thought the movie was boring.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Being The Ricardos (2021) - I wasn't captivated at all. I thought JK overacted too much and came off as strange. Aside from seeing some of the interaction of the stars between filming, I thought the movie was boring.
Apparently William Frawley was quite like that in real life, and he and Vance genuinely did not like each other.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Apparently William Frawley was quite like that in real life, and he and Vance genuinely did not like each other.
Then I shouldn't doubt JK. It was a weird character.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Kind of an unfair quote since the same article says that he was never drunk on the set for Lucy and learned his lines after one take. It also attributes the animosity between he and Vance as being a largely due to her frustration in having to play a a wife to 22 years her senior. If I recall correctly she was roughly the same age as Lucy in real life.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Kind of an unfair quote since the same article says that he was never drunk on the set for Lucy and learned his lines after one take. It also attributes the animosity between he and Vance as being a largely due to her frustration in having to play a a wife to 22 years her senior. If I recall correctly she was roughly the same age as Lucy in real life.
Yes, they covered that frustration very well in the film imo; and I thought the woman who played Vance was excellent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, they covered that frustration very well in the film imo; and I thought the woman who played Vance was excellent.
If you really want to see Nina Arianda's acting chops, delve into Goliath on Amazon. She's a relatively minor character at first, but her character almost steals the series from Billy Bob Thornton by the end.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Tender Bar (Prime 2021). Based on the memoir of a kid whose father abandoned the family, who was then raised by his mother and uncle in his grandfather’s house. The uncle is played by Ben Affleck, who is a bartender. It is directed by George Clooney. If it wasn’t for those two things no one would have ever heard of this movie, and the world would be better for that. It sucked.

Reaction Score
Old Henry (2021) - Western story of a farmer who comes across a nearly dead man and a satchel of money. Soon enough, a group of men come looking for the money. This ends up being a defend the homestead film against these intruders. There is also something of a mystery element to this film, as it seems that the main principals all have something to hide about themselves, none of which is totally revealed in the beginning. In the end, this movie also rewrites a bit of western history. Nothing really all that special, but a solidly entertaining film. Tim Blake Nelson does fine in the title role. My wife is a big fan of westerns (she saw a lot of them at drive in theaters while she was a kid), and she definitely enjoyed this story.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Taken from Patrick O’Briens Master and Commander series Aubrey Maturin series, this movie is it a great repesentation of life aboard a 19th-century British warship. It stars Russell Crowe as Lucky Jack Aubrey, the commander of the HMS Surprise. The Surprise is ordered to take or destroy a far superior French privateer which has greater canvas, guns, and crew. In several engagements the Surprise is shown to be overmatched, yet her captain continues to follow, and even exceed, his orders. The movie is visually stunning, well paced, with interesting characters and a great soundtrack. It is well worth watching. Paul Beth he gives an extremely strong supporting performance as Stephen Maturin the ship’s doctor.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ride the Eagle (2021)

Jake Johnson stars as a rudderless stoner/percussionist (mostly bongos) living in “his cabin“ which is essentially a glorified tool shed in a friend’s backyard. He finds out that his estranged mother, who abandoned him at age 13, passed away. She had reached out to him several times over the years, but he refused to talk with her. she had left him her, very upscale, cabin on the condition that he complete a list that she has prepared for him and left in the cabin. He goes and begins to work through the list, each item of which contains a life lesson. I liked this movie more than I expected. It is quirky and low-key, but definitely enjoyable. Great supporting roles by Susan Sarandon as the deceased mom (on video tape which accompanies there will) and JK Simmons as her somewhat crazy ex boyfriend.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
tick, tick, BOOM (2021) - I have never seen Rent and have no clue what it's about.

This movie was fun overall. Very emotional and well-acted.

Vanesse Hudgens...TADOW!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2013) - I have watched it before, but this is one of the best spy movies ever made. On HBO Max. Strongly recommend it if you have not seen it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Taken from Patrick O’Briens Master and Commander series Aubrey Maturin series, this movie is it a great repesentation of life aboard a 19th-century British warship. It stars Russell Crowe as Lucky Jack Aubrey, the commander of the HMS Surprise. The Surprise is ordered to take or destroy a far superior French privateer which has greater canvas, guns, and crew. In several engagements the Surprise is shown to be overmatched, yet her captain continues to follow, and even exceed, his orders. The movie is visually stunning, well paced, with interesting characters and a great soundtrack. It is well worth watching. Paul Beth he gives an extremely strong supporting performance as Stephen Maturin the ship’s doctor.

This is a tremendous movie that didn’t get enough attention when it came out. have seen it several times. It always felt to me as though the story also borrowed a bit from Horatio Hornblower.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2013) - I have watched it before, but this is one of the best spy movies ever made. On HBO Max. Strongly recommend it if you have not seen it.

It is very good. The short BBC miniseries is even better. It’s simply one of the best espionage stories of all time, whether book, miniseries or movie. Quite complex and very engrossing.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is a tremendous movie that didn’t get enough attention when it came out. have seen it several times. It always felt to me as though the story also borrowed a bit from Horatio Hornblower.
If you’d like to read book series then the Aubrey Maturin series is excellent. I think it is 20 books give or take. I’ve read it twice Ian will probably get around to reading in a third time. It’s that good. before then though, I’ve been thinking about reading the Horatio Hornblower series.

I think the reason why this movie doesn’t have as much notarity as it deserves is that it came out in the same year as the Lord of the Rings Return of the King. I believe it was nominated for something like 10 or 12 Academy Awards and it won two of them. for all the other categories LOR:ROK was also nominated and won.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Tender Bar (Prime 2021). Based on the memoir of a kid whose father abandoned the family, who was then raised by his mother and uncle in his grandfather’s house. The uncle is played by Ben Affleck, who is a bartender. It is directed by George Clooney. If it wasn’t for those two things no one would have ever heard of this movie, and the world would be better for that. It sucked.
Just read this this morning in this weekend’s NYT; having just watched it last night I can say I would never have known that alcoholism was supposed to be any significant part of the story:

‘The Tender Bar’: A Tale of Drinking That Ducks Alcoholism

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Lost Daughter (Netflix 2021). Drama about a woman who meets a young woman and her daughter on vacation and becomes obsessed with them, triggering dark memories of her own young motherhood. This was another Mrs. 8893 selection and it was so bad that we both agreed to abandon it an hour in, which we rarely do. Written and directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal and somehow got a lot of accolades. Like The Tender Bar, I have a feeling we would never have heard of it but for this fact. Don't waste your time.

Reaction Score
The Lost Daughter (Netflix 2021). Drama about a woman who meets a young woman and her daughter on vacation and becomes obsessed with them, triggering dark memories of her own young motherhood. This was another Mrs. 8893 selection and it was so bad that we both agreed to abandon it an hour in, which we rarely do. Written and directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal and somehow got a lot of accolades. Like The Tender Bar, I have a feeling we would never have heard of it but for this fact. Don't waste your time.
2022 movies are not off to a rousing start in the 8893 household.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2022 movies are not off to a rousing start in the 8893 household.
Ha, yeah those were two duds. My wife likes to watch the movies nominated for the major awards, so that's how they got on the list (that, and relentless promotion on Netflix).

Technically, Tick, Tick...Boom was a 2022 movie for us, and we loved that; and we also really liked The Alpinist, another 2022 watch for us.

Enjoyed Being the Ricardos and thought Power of the Dog was worth the watch, but not the hype. I believe they were also technically 2022 movies for us.

I also watched 14 Peaks on Friday. I liked it, but not nearly as much as I liked The Alpinist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom