Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched "Luckiest Girl Alive" (Netflix) last night. It's about a woman (Mila Kunis) who's trying to put her past behind her but is being coerced to do an interview about a school shooting that would also expose her being victim to a gan.g rape, which would threaten her upcoming marriage to a wealthy socialite.

It's choppy, but still coherent, although there are a lot of viewer comments about the editing being confusing. But the surprise (and disappointment) to me was the number of viewer comments complaining that the movie didn't have sufficient warnings about the sexual assault and school shooting. Apparently it freaked out a lot of people. It's not like the movie doesn't label itself as being about a sexual assault. "The Accused" was much more graphic, IMHO. I wasn't bothered by it, and am wondering some part of the movie-going public has lost their collective minds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Wolverine. Rewatched this one, which is mostly disconnected from MCU and even the X-Men franchises. Set mostly in Japan, with some interesting visuals, and cultural references. It starts in Nagasaki during WWII, and Wolverine is a POW. The guards release the POWs before the bomb comes, and Wolverine saves on. Flash to the present and Logan is struggling with the death of Jean Grey and living as a recluse. The real story revolves around that man, now old, his family including his lovely and tall daughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto). Logan's mutation plays a key role here and of course, Mariko becomes a love interest. This does align to stories from the comics, so wasn't entirely invented for the film. Of course the Yakuza are involved, as well as a group of ninjas that have served the old man's family for generations. All in all, this is pretty good. The focus is on the characters and story, not on CGI or action sequences (with one exception).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kinda disappointed w/ "Rosaline" on Hulu. Not nearly as funny as the trailer made it look. I think maybe went too far w/ modernizing a period piece. I got bored with it before the end.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched "The Redeem Team" (Netflix) last night. I'm not an NBA guy and I haven't really been invested in Olympic hoops since the original Dream Team. And I knew Ratface was going to be in this, so it had three strikes against it already before I hit play. All that aside, it was entertaining and informative, especially once Kobe came into the picture. It even managed to soften me a bit on K, if only for the amusement of him dropping as many F-bombs as a Bill Burr show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watched "Luckiest Girl Alive" (Netflix) last night. It's about a woman (Mila Kunis) who's trying to put her past behind her but is being coerced to do an interview about a school shooting that would also expose her being victim to a gan.g rape, which would threaten her upcoming marriage to a wealthy socialite.

It's choppy, but still coherent, although there are a lot of viewer comments about the editing being confusing. But the surprise (and disappointment) to me was the number of viewer comments complaining that the movie didn't have sufficient warnings about the sexual assault and school shooting. Apparently it freaked out a lot of people. It's not like the movie doesn't label itself as being about a sexual assault. "The Accused" was much more graphic, IMHO. I wasn't bothered by it, and am wondering some part of the movie-going public has lost their collective minds.

I saw it, and have thought about it for a few days. I think movies have to tread very carefully using sexual assault in a plot, and the bar should be extremely high for using a mass school shooting in a movie. I think the movie handled the sexual assault and the PTSD of such an experience well, but the school shooting was gratuitous and unnecessary.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Taking a total flyer on some stuff on Amazon. Last night watched "Cosmoball." Goofy, way out there Russian sci fi. Entertaining anyway.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Today watched "Mystery of Her." AFAIK the entire cast were complete unknowns. High school girl was in a car accident, air bag deployment caused a head injury and she's lost nearly all long term memory. Struggling to remember who she was/who people around her want her to be, and if she can't do that trying to figure out who she is now. Character driven. I enjoyed it. For something under the radar, production values were decent. Acting wasn't great but certainly serviceable. Took place in the fall, some stunning colors on the trees. I would guess it was filmed somewhere in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
The Wolverine. Rewatched this one, which is mostly disconnected from MCU and even the X-Men franchises. Set mostly in Japan, with some interesting visuals, and cultural references. It starts in Nagasaki during WWII, and Wolverine is a POW. The guards release the POWs before the bomb comes, and Wolverine saves on. Flash to the present and Logan is struggling with the death of Jean Grey and living as a recluse. The real story revolves around that man, now old, his family including his lovely and tall daughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto). Logan's mutation plays a key role here and of course, Mariko becomes a love interest. This does align to stories from the comics, so wasn't entirely invented for the film. Of course the Yakuza are involved, as well as a group of ninjas that have served the old man's family for generations. All in all, this is pretty good. The focus is on the characters and story, not on CGI or action sequences (with one exception).

It’s probably the only faithful adaptation from the comics. It’s based on the graphic novel/mini series “Wolverine” by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.

Reaction Score

Directed by James Mangold (Copland, Girl Interrupted, Walk the Line). Mangold is very character and story oriented. He once said, "Nobody is interested in your big set."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Randy Rhoads: Reflections Of A Guitar Icon." Documentary on Amazon. I certainly was aware of him, but honestly didn't really know his story. I knew him from being w/ Ozzy's band, didn't even know he was a founding member of Quiet Riot. I also knew he died young but didn't know the circumstances at all. In an industry that takes so many due to excesses of drugs and alcohol, that wasn't him at all. Died in a small plane crash, piloted by the tour bus driver, who was taking some crazy and totally unjustifiable risks. Anyway, I found it interesting. Quiet Riot was several years ahead of Motley Crue and others from the whole LA metal scene. Toiled for years, had a good following in the clubs but just couldn't get a record company to sign them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Quiet Riot was several years ahead of Motley Crue and others from the whole LA metal scene. Toiled for years, had a good following in the clubs but just couldn't get a record company to sign them.
And to think Slade never made a dent on US record charts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everything everywhere all at one. It's a spectacular failure. I wanted to like it because the director was shooting for the moon and decided to be as indulgent as he possibly could be. That kind of self-belief can produce something amazing or a big sloppy mess. This is the latter.

It's way too long. There's probably an hour of kung fights. Some are clever but not nearly enough to warrant this amount of time spent on fights with predetermined outcomes. The story line is well conceived and has a lot of heart. The premise device is clever but it becomes a dead horse that is beaten and beaten and beaten and beaten. The performances of the principles is probably the best part of the movie. The rest of the cast is pretty much wasted. This is a high end film making by folks who know what they doing in terms of cinematography, special effects and editing. There are some interesting and fun ideas explored here. Not enough to save the movie.

Three stars for the attempt. One star for the movie.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
World War Z. Brad Pitt, zombies. Fast zombies. Watched on the plane, and enjoyed it. Brad plays a UN troubleshooter/investigator who had recently retired from his dangerous job. Then he’s called back when the Zs arrive. The speed of these zombies ups the ante quite a bit. It’s solid and there is some intelligence to it. My favorite moment is when a Mossad agent explains why the Israelis knew first. He explains the 10th man process. If 9 agree the 10th must disagree and try to prove the thing they don’t believe. In this case a report of zombies Coming from India. It’s brilliant and the kind of thinking we could use more of. Solid film.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And to think Slade never made a dent on US record charts.

What?! Okay, another remake that I never realized was a remake. Now I'm thinking the Quiet Riot version wasn't so much an homage as flat out a rip off. Vocals are very, very similar.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What?! Okay, another remake that I never realized was a remake. Now I'm thinking the Quiet Riot version wasn't so much an homage as flat out a rip off. Vocals are very, very similar.
Because I couldn't post two videos in the same post, I put "Mama, Weer All Crazee Now" in a text link. So here's that one.

At least when Cheap Trick covered songs by The Move, they kinda tried to make them their own.

I only knew about Slade and The Move because of WNEW-FM and Scott Muni's weekly "Things From England" show which played all sorts of great stuff that never made it over here.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Everything everywhere all at one. It's a spectacular failure. I wanted to like it because the director was shooting for the moon and decided to be as indulgent as he possibly could be. That kind of self-belief can produce something amazing or a big sloppy mess. This is the latter.

It's way too long. There's probably an hour of kung fights. Some are clever but not nearly enough to warrant this amount of time spent on fights with predetermined outcomes. The story line is well conceived and has a lot of heart. The premise device is clever but it becomes a dead horse that is beaten and beaten and beaten and beaten. The performances of the principles is probably the best part of the movie. The rest of the cast is pretty much wasted. This is a high end film making by folks who know what they doing in terms of cinematography, special effects and editing. There are some interesting and fun ideas explored here. Not enough to save the movie.

Three stars for the attempt. One star for the movie.
Same. I just couldn't get into it. Tried for 30 or 40 minutes and called it good. I loved the trailer for it.

I watched this on a flight to San Francisco a few weeks ago. I read and really enjoyed The Midnight Library this summer, which has a similar premise, so I was intrigued when one of my daughters and her boyfriend described this film to me.

I agree with a lot of @Palatine 's post, except I don't think it was a failure; I just think it could have been much better and tighter. But I wanted my wife to watch it on the way home (in part because the mother-daughter relationship bears some resemblance to hers with one of ours), and she did exactly what @nwhoopfan did, i.e., turned it off after around a half hour because she couldn't get into it.

The length and repetition probably would have bothered me a lot more if I wasn't watching it on a cross-country flight. That was actually a positive though, because it occupied me for almost half the flight.

I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know there are a least a few fans of non Disney or non Western in general animation. Just watched "Belle." Ended up being quite different than what I expected. There is a wallflower high school girl named Suzu who joins an immersive virtual world along with most of the rest of the planet called U. She creates an avatar called Belle who becomes a sensation. She becomes entangled with a mysterious "villain" known as The Beast. Obvious parallels to Beauty and the Beast, but it's an entirely different story. As the authorities within U try desperately to unveil the real identity of The Beast, the story takes a huge turn that caught me completely off guard. Won't say any more than that. Overall I liked it. Some of the scenes with Suzu with her peers in school were kind of frustrating and super awkward. Interesting taking elements of a classic tale and mixing it with our current reality of social media and online alter egos.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
At least when Cheap Trick covered songs by The Move, they kinda tried to make them their own.
I knew Smokin' in the Boys Room from Motley Crue in the 80s. It wasn't until decades later that I heard the Brownsville Station version that preceded it. The Crue sure didn't stretch much for that cover, barely changed a thing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dang. I got "Belle" from the library. There were 2 discs. I spent a while trying to figure out which was what. I thought maybe one was the movie and other was special features. Nope. English dub and Japanese? Nope. Now that it's too late, realized I watched it on DVD when I could've watched on Blu Ray. Doh!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I knew Smokin' in the Boys Room from Motley Crue in the 80s. It wasn't until decades later that I heard the Brownsville Station version that preceded it. The Crue sure didn't stretch much for that cover, barely changed a thing.
Yeah, I loved that tune before the Crue were out of junior high

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
World War Z. Brad Pitt, zombies. Fast zombies. Watched on the plane, and enjoyed it. Brad plays a UN troubleshooter/investigator who had recently retired from his dangerous job. Then he’s called back when the Zs arrive. The speed of these zombies ups the ante quite a bit. It’s solid and there is some intelligence to it. My favorite moment is when a Mossad agent explains why the Israelis knew first. He explains the 10th man process. If 9 agree the 10th must disagree and try to prove the thing they don’t believe. In this case a report of zombies Coming from India. It’s brilliant and the kind of thinking we could use more of. Solid film.
A lot of good scenes in that movie. I like when he cuts off the Israeli soldiers hand and then counts to 10. You wouldn’t think that counting to 10 would create more tension then chopping off someone’s hand.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Bullet Train" was a fun ride. Fairly over the top. Great ensemble cast. Somehow I didn't recognize Aaron Taylor-Johnson the whole movie (and how did I never know he's British?!--mind blown). Weird seeing Channing Tatum and Karen Fukuhara in such tiny roles. Also interesting seeing Pitt, Tatum and Bullock all in this together, right after they were in "The Lost City."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Jobs (2013) - Netflix - This movie is pretty bad, in addition to being wildly historically inaccurate. Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs (2015) movie, which is structured more like a play, is much more accurate in terms of representing the respective people, in addition to being more interesting and just a better movie.

Going down the list of problems with Jobs (2013):

The directing is just terrible. It comes off like a docudrama with the shaky camera and stilted dialogue. The high number of reaction shots gets distracting pretty quickly. It is just a mess.

Ashton Kutcher is an OK TV comedy actor. He can't pull off being the leading man in a biopic about one of the more complicated and influential Americans of the last 25 years of the 20th century. The character was flat, boring, and not credible as a visionary. Fassbender absolutely owned the part in the Sorkin version.

Josh Gad is OK, but also not credible as a genius that is one of the most important inventors of the digital age. Wozniak seems like a bystander and cheerleader rather than a driver.

The movie leaves out Xerox PARC completely. Jobs and Wozniak's (I think Wozniak was there) visited Xerox PARC in 1979 and walked out with the future of computing. Jobs and Wozniak get a lot of credit for stuff they didn't actually invent.

The movie characterization of Mike Markkula is simply ridiculous. He is one of the most successful tech executives and investors in history, (Wozniak credit Markkula for much of Apple's initial success) but he comes off in this movie as a spineless, backstabbing doofus. Matthew Modine is wasted in some silly caricature of John Sculley. I have no idea why JK Simmons got involved in that ridiculous misrepresentation of Arther Rock.

My biggest issue with the movie is that it makes Jobs into something he isn't. He was definitely a visionary, but he was a terrible manager until late in his career, having failed at Apple, and then again at NEXT. He deserved to be fired from Apple in 1985. He became very wealthy from his investment in Pixar, but he had almost no operating role in that company. Before he came back to Apple, he had never been successful as a business manager. His primary skill was in his ability to operationalize his vision, and more importantly, in recognizing genius, both in Wozniak and Markkula, and later with Avie Tevanian (who isn't in the movie), among others, when he came back to Apple in the late 90's.

Both movies are on Netlix. I recommend Steve Jobs (2015), but there is no reason to watch the Jobs (2013) mess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom