Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Mountain Between Us

Two strangers, a man (Idris Elba) and a woman (Kate Winslet) stupidly rent a small charter plane to fly through whether that was sufficient to shut down major airlines. She’s a photographer/journalist trying to get to her wedding on the next day and he is a neurosurgeon who has to operate on a 10-year-old boy. Predictably the plane goes down, but not because of the weather but because their pilot (Beau Bridges) has a stroke. The plane goes down somewhere in the Rocky Mountains They have to fight the elements, a cougar, (no not Kate Winslet) and their feelings to survive. Chick flick? You betcha, but with enough action scenes to make it vaguely tolerable, at least until the last five minutes or so.

Reaction Score
The Mountain Between Us

Two strangers, a man (Idris Elba) and a woman (Kate Winslet) stupidly rent a small charter plane to fly through whether that was sufficient to shut down major airlines. She’s a photographer/journalist trying to get to her wedding on the next day and he is a neurosurgeon who has to operate on a 10-year-old boy. Predictably the plane goes down, but not because of the weather but because their pilot (Beau Bridges) has a stroke. The plane goes down somewhere in the Rocky Mountains They have to fight the elements, a cougar, (no not Kate Winslet) and their feelings to survive. Chick flick? You betcha, but with enough action scenes to make it vaguely tolerable, at least until the last five minutes or so.

I thought this movie was really lame. Like old Tabasco.

Reaction Score
Not a movie but the series The Offer about the making of the Godfather is really good.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Dark Tower

I’ve never read the books, but it was OK. I imagine if you were invested in it it would be more interesting.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Stephen King has committed to a single unified theme. The man in black, is Randall Flagg is the guy from needful things, etc.. It seems pretty unified or maybe it is just repetitive?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Operation Mincemeat (2022, Netflix) - This is a really good movie with one exception. Colin Firth and Matthew MacFadyen play intelligence offers creating a hoax to fool Germany into thinking the Allies will be attacking Greece instead of Sicily in the summer of 1943. The movie has several interesting twists considering that anyone can look up what happens. No one trusts each other, and even at the end, it is not clear exactly what happened with the operation at the end, which I think is based on real life.

It is not clear if the operation really worked, or they just walked into a sabotage effort by anti-Nazi Wehrmacht officers.

On the downside, there was a pointless and unbelievable love triangle that the movie could have done without.

Reaction Score
The Dark Tower

I’ve never read the books, but it was OK. I imagine if you were invested in it it would be more interesting.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Stephen King has committed to a single unified theme. The man in black, is Randall Flagg is the guy from needful things, etc.. It seems pretty unified or maybe it is just repetitive?

One of the worst movies ever made. Matthew Mcconaughey’s lines were cringe.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Dark Tower

No, he’s not usually repetitive. Hollywood likes bad guys wearing black.

I’m a huge Stephen King. If you want something different, try Dead Zone (book is awesome, movie with Christopher Walken isn’t bad), The Shining (Jack Nicholson in the movie), Christine (unbelievably creepy book), or Pet Cemetery (this book gave me nightmares). It, book and first movie, are awesome. If you have a fear of clowns, It will make you sleep with the lights on for a week I.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I’m a huge Stephen King. If you want something different, try Dead Zone (book is awesome, movie with Christopher Walken isn’t bad), The Shining (Jack Nicholson in the movie),
Shining the book was much better than the movie, IMHO. Kubrick ruined the ending, which was nothing like the book.

CL82

Reaction Score
One of the worst movies ever made. Matthew Mcconaughey’s lines were cringe.
Lol, I always appreciate your comments. They make my negative comments look mild by comparison.

CL82: Not a great movie, but watchable if there’s nothing else on.

Zoocougar: This is the worst movie of all time! I think just watching it gave me a lesion on my kidney.

;)

CL82

Reaction Score

I’m a huge Stephen King. If you want something different, try Dead Zone (book is awesome, movie with Christopher Walken isn’t bad), The Shining (Jack Nicholson in the movie), Christine (unbelievably creepy book), or Pet Cemetery (this book gave me nightmares). It, book and first movie, are awesome. If you have a fear of clowns, It will make you sleep with the lights on for a week I.

I love the Dead Zone as a movie. The whole concept of how being able to see the future might be more of a curse and a blessing is a real interesting take. Christopher Walken does a great job of underplaying the lead character.

I didn’t like how King recast the It villain/creature in the sequel I liked the whole ancient evil/Chelob vibe. The change in the 2nd was disappointing to me.

Christine is a terrible movie in my opinion, but it is a decidedly better book.

Of course, Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile, stand out as two of his best films, in my opinion.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I love the Dead Zone as a movie. The whole concept of how being able to see the future might be more of a curse and a blessing is a real interesting take. Christopher Walken does a great job of underplaying the lead character.

I didn’t like how King recast the It villain/creature in the sequel I liked the whole ancient evil/Chelob vibe. was disappointing to me.

Christine is a terrible movie in my opinion, but it is a decidedly better book.

Of course, Shawshank Redemption, and the Green Mile, stand out as two of his best films, in my opinion.
King wrote Running Man as Richard Bachman - the Scwartznegger movie was vastly different . Another Bachman novella, one that’s haunted me, was Thinner. No one can draw characters like Stephen King.

CL82

Reaction Score
King wrote Running Man as Richard Bachman - the Scwartznegger movie was vastly different . Another Bachman novella, one that’s haunted me, was Thinner. No one can draw characters like Stephen King.
Thinner is another movie that the source book is much better. Talk about character development, he flushes out the motivations of everyone well. I love the “curse of the white man from town“ part of the book. The ending is a nice twist and feels appropriate

I had no idea King wrote Running Man! Now I’m going to have to go read that book. I’m working my way through Preston and Childs this summer and really enjoying them so it might not be until August.

Reaction Score
Lol, I always appreciate your comments. They make my negative comments look mild by comparison.

CL82: Not a great movie, but watchable if there’s nothing else on.

Zoocougar: This is the worst movie of all time! I think just watching it gave me a lesion on my kidney.

;)

Aloha gave me bird flu.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
American Underdog (2021) - It is on Hulu. This is the Kurt Warner biopic with Zack Levi, Anna Paquin and Dennis Quaid. This is a reasonably well done, feel good, sports biopic. If you go in wanting to see that, you won't be disappointed. Spoilers below, but I am assuming no one is watching this movie unless they already know the basics of the story.

This movie could have been a lot more, and if you read deeper into the movie, there are some problems. Kurt Warner is one of the strangest stories of any super successful athlete in history, and Kurt and Brenda Warner are also a very unusual story for a professional athlete couple. The uniqueness of the story is why they made a movie out of this, but I almost feel like somewhere there is a Director's Cut that will make more sense than what I just watched.

Kurt is portayed as partly insanely confident jock, part humble family man, but Levi goes back and forth between the two Kurts without explanation. Brenda Warner (played very well by Paquin, who kind of carries the movie) is in everyone's face and kind of annoying, but also somehow appealing and likable in her single mother focus and semi-desperation. It feels like the Directors (there are two) didn't trust the movie to tell us the story either because the two main characters lapse into telling us how much they love each other rather than showing it. Their faith is never really explained even though it is referred to several times. Kurt's fall and rise is fairly well done, but the movie kind of races through the Greatest Show on Turf season with a montage and a bunch of exposition using clips from Sportscenter at the end to tell you how you are supposed to feel about the movie, All the pieces are there for the Directors to bring the story together but they kind of blow it.

Dennis Quaid sucks as Dick Vermeil. Vermeil has a very distinctive high pitched voice and he has a rapid delivery, but Quaid plays it just like the did with Ben Schwartzwelder from The Express movie, sounding like a 75 year old chain smoker that has the beginnings of dementia. It isn't even close to Vermeil, and kind of undermines the whole third act.

Reaction Score
American Underdog (2021) - It is on Hulu. This is the Kurt Warner biopic with Zack Levi, Anna Paquin and Dennis Quaid. This is a reasonably well done, feel good, sports biopic. If you go in wanting to see that, you won't be disappointed. Spoilers below, but I am assuming no one is watching this movie unless they already know the basics of the story.

This movie could have been a lot more, and if you read deeper into the movie, there are some problems. Kurt Warner is one of the strangest stories of any super successful athlete in history, and Kurt and Brenda Warner are also a very unusual story for a professional athlete couple. The uniqueness of the story is why they made a movie out of this, but I almost feel like somewhere there is a Director's Cut that will make more sense than what I just watched.

Kurt is portayed as partly insanely confident jock, part humble family man, but Levi goes back and forth between the two Kurts without explanation. Brenda Warner (played very well by Paquin, who kind of carries the movie) is in everyone's face and kind of annoying, but also somehow appealing and likable in her single mother focus and semi-desperation. It feels like the Directors (there are two) didn't trust the movie to tell us the story either because the two main characters lapse into telling us how much they love each other rather than showing it. Their faith is never really explained even though it is referred to several times. Kurt's fall and rise is fairly well done, but the movie kind of races through the Greatest Show on Turf season with a montage and a bunch of exposition using clips from Sportscenter at the end to tell you how you are supposed to feel about the movie, All the pieces are there for the Directors to bring the story together but they kind of blow it.

Dennis Quaid sucks as Dick Vermeil. Vermeil has a very distinctive high pitched voice and he has a rapid delivery, but Quaid plays it just like the did with Ben Schwartzwelder from The Express movie, sounding like a 75 year old chain smoker that has the beginnings of dementia. It isn't even close to Vermeil, and kind of undermines the whole third act.

Was it better or worse than the Costner movie about the Browns?

Reaction Score
Was it better or worse than the Costner movie about the Browns?
I kinda liked Draft Day. It's not a good movie, two stars at best. But if you're a football fan who likes the material, it's definitely watchable. The cast is excellent and the performances are good. It's cleanly and stylishy shot. The story is unpredictable with twists and turns. And, yes, a lot of it is silly. It's not realistic from a football perspective. It is in fact, preposterous. But if you are a football fan it's no worse than watching the Jets.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hustle (Netflix) - Adam Sandler is good in a slightly off formula redemption story. The pacing and soundtrack capture the desperation of a middle-aged never was and a street kid trying to make the League. Unlike most sports movies, in doesn't revert to ridiculous contrivances to keep the plot moving. Lots of cool cameos by NBA players and coaches.

Really good movie, I strongly recommend it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hustle (Netflix) - Adam Sandler is good in a slightly off formula redemption story. The pacing and soundtrack capture the desperation of a middle-aged never was and a street kid trying to make the League. Unlike most sports movies, in doesn't revert to ridiculous contrivances to keep the plot moving. Lots of cool cameos by NBA players and coaches.

Really good movie, I strongly recommend it.
Good story, credible acting, tons of cameos from NBA and street hoops legends. I have no idea if that's what goes into training for the combine, but that part of the film was intense. I'd put it in top three hoops films I've seen.

Reaction Score
I kinda liked Draft Day. It's not a good movie, two stars at best. But if you're a football fan who likes the material, it's definitely watchable. The cast is excellent and the performances are good. It's cleanly and stylishy shot. The story is unpredictable with twists and turns. And, yes, a lot of it is silly. It's not realistic from a football perspective. It is in fact, preposterous. But if you are a football fan it's no worse than watching the Jets.

It has a Lifetime movie feel to it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Operation Mincemeat (2022, Netflix) - This is a really good movie with one exception. Colin Firth and Matthew MacFadyen play intelligence offers creating a hoax to fool Germany into thinking the Allies will be attacking Greece instead of Sicily in the summer of 1943. The movie has several interesting twists considering that anyone can look up what happens. No one trusts each other, and even at the end, it is not clear exactly what happened with the operation at the end, which I think is based on real life.

It is not clear if the operation really worked, or they just walked into a sabotage effort by anti-Nazi Wehrmacht officers.

On the downside, there was a pointless and unbelievable love triangle that the movie could have done without.

The Germans fell for it!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I shoulda listened. Despite some bad reviews, I was still curious about "The Northman." How bad could it be, I wondered? Well, it was just so slow and drawn out, rather dull, none of the characters were particularly interesting. Anya Taylor-Joy couldn't save this. I didn't realize it's the same director as "The Witch." That's two strikes against him, I think he goes on my permanent avoid list.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Germans fell for it!

Kind of, although the German officers who were undermining Hitler definitely helped it along, which the British had no idea was going to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom