Recently Watched Movies 2021 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2021

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think "Riders of Justice" was mentioned earlier. Just watched it. Fairly unusual, not the typical action movie. Mads Mikkelsen was his usual intense self. This film offers a smattering of psychology, philosophy, statistics, probability and a few other things. Is everything random, or is there a meaning behind everything that happens, or some of both? Leaves you thinking.

Reaction Score
I need to see it. It’s interesting because movies like The Life Aquatic I seem to like better the more I watch it.

I definitely feel the need to see "The French Dispatch" as well. I've mentioned before on these threads how "Moonrise Kingdom" turned me into a big Wes Anderson fan, and wanting to watch all of his feature films. Before "Moonrise Kingdom" came out in 2012, I really had no concept of what a Wes Anderson movie was like.

Now having said that, I recall many years ago prior to me seeing "Moonrise Kingdom", I my brother gave me "The Life Aquatic" on DVD as a Christmas gift, maybe a year or two after it cam out. I remember that I had heard of the movie, but at the time the name Wes Anderson didn't mean all that much to me. I recall my wife and I watched "The Life Aquatic" shortly after we got it. We didn't think much of it at the time, and it really left us scratching our heads over it over its slow pace and everything. A few years later, I was looking to get rid of some clutter around the house, including several DVD's and CD's that I never thought I would get around to watching and listening to again. "Life Aquatic" was one of them I disposed of. I now wish I hadn't done it, since now I have come to love Wes Anderson movies and know what to expect of them. "Life Aquatic" is a film I wouldn't mind revisiting again at some point.

Reaction Score
"Legend of Hell House" (1973) - Well, it's just past Halloween, but we're still watching horror films, this time of the haunted house variety. A team of investigators spend several days and nights looking into the goings on in a haunted house that lives up (or dies up) to its reputation. Not great, but certainly watchable. Also, my wife and I almost always enjoy watching Roddy McDowall (one of the team of investigators) in movies, either as a child actor or as an adult, with or without ape makeup.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Saw another Amanda Seyfried movie I'd been skipping for years--"Dear John." Not lighthearted like "Letters to Juliet." Well done though, and worth a watch. Amanda is college student on spring break who meets a soldier, Channing Tatum, who is home on leave. They quickly fall deeply for each other. He has to ship out again and a fair portion of the movie is them writing letters to each other back and forth. This one doesn't have a typical Hollywood ending.
I don't watch movies because of Seyfried and she's not really my type, but for Seyfried fans, she's got a meaty supporting role in Gringo, a 2018 black comedy about corporate greed with some A-list stars. It's on Prime and I found it entertaining, especially when Charlize Theron goes total alpha bitch on wheels. Should've been a star vehicle for David Oyelowo, who's fabulous as the nice guy who just can't win, but the film flopped at the box office.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Free Guy" is awesome! That's what a movie should be, fun, entertaining, just a good time. I meant to see it in the theater, never got around to it, kinda feel bad I didn't send a little money the studio's way. Netflix gets it next week, but I didn't feel like waiting, Redbox has it now. Ryan Reynolds does what he does, hasn't gotten old yet. I love Jodie Comer, she was great. Some good cameos, and some surprisingly big names doing voice over work that I totally missed until I saw the credits. Lots of pop culture references. I'm sure being a gamer adds some layers of appreciation to this, but as a non-gamer I can say it's totally not necessary.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Deep House (2021) - A haunted house 100 feet underwater is the setting for this creepy movie. Once we committed we kinda liked it. A cool twist on the haunted house theme.

On Epix.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve watched Dune four times now. It’s amazing.

I‘ve seen it twice. Free on HBOMax so we gave it a second go.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Harder They Fall. Netflix. This is a different take. It’s a western. Everybody is black. The good guys, the bad guys, the guys who may or may not be. The lingo is a mix of classic western and modern urban slang. The music is similarly what sounds like a blend of modern hip hop, Caribbean and updated versions of plantation slave songs. It’s creative and fun. Great cast, including Idris Elba who I like in everything, and Jonathan Majors from Lovecraft Country. The story is a good one and the acting is terrific. Delroy Lindo is great as the Marshall and Regina King is pretty savage as Mary Pickett. The kicker…all these people existed. The story is fiction, but it relies on actual historical figures.

Two thumbs up for this one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Finch. Apple+

Tom Hanks please a post apocalypse survivor (who is damaged in more ways than one) who is forced to go cross country due to a mega storm with his dog and two robots off gods creation. As with all of the Apple content the production value was very good. The story is so so and with any other actor it probably wouldn’t be worth watching, but with Hanks it is. Tough to be more descriptive than that without giving away plot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm putting this here because I don't know where else it would go, without starting a new dedicated thread. For years I've been curious to check out the box office numbers after each weekend. It became totally irrelevant for about a year because of Covid. I kinda doubt we'll ever go completely back to the way it used to be. Might not ever see another $ billion+ worldwide movie again.

Anyway, specifically Marvel's big kickoff to the next phase of the MCU, Eternals, debuted this weekend. Seemed to be getting lukewarm at best reviews for the most part. And yet it still took in almost as much in it's opening weekend as Dune has managed in 3 weeks. That just doesn't compute for me. Dune is based off a book that has been beloved and revered for many decades. Eternals is based on characters that only hardcore comic fans are even aware of. I guess Marvel can put out literally anything and people will go see it.

Reaction Score
Box Office Mojo has been a regular site destination for me for like 20 years now. I’ve long been fascinated by how much money goes into making these movies and how much money they in turn end up making.

They used to have this fun “stock market” game where you bet on actors, directors, writers, studios, movies, etc. as stocks. Fun, speculative stuff even if the billions of dollars you accrued were meaningless.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Real Steel (2011) - Loved this movie!!

Inside the ring Rocky meets Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

Outside the ring fails boxer Hugh Jackman wins back a young, abandoned son.

Very entertaining. And Evangeline Lilly (Lost, Ant-Man) looks amazing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Happiest Season - I guess this is the Kristen Stewart review edition. I'm not sure why anyone could cast Stewart in any role requiring even a modicum of charm. The entire movie is complete fluff but it could've been exponentially more enjoyable if one of the two leads (the supporting cast was competent enough) could emote more than some snarky emo glares.
Trying to watch this. Pretty lame. If the movie was just Kristen Stewart and Aubrey Plaza it would be a lot better. Mackenzie Davis and her entire family totally drag it down. I like several of the actors, but their characters were terrible. Alison Brie especially is totally wasted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It is a retread mashup of so many themes, Rocky, screwup dad reunites with son, children see things that adults miss, etc. It is also eminently watchable.

For what it’s worth they missed the opportunity for the ‘triumph of men over machine theme when they had the ‘Megadeth robot’ operated by its owner at the end of the final bout rather than just lose on its own.

I like the movie though and if it is on any of the boxing scenes, I’ll stop and watch them the same way I would watch any of the Rocky fight scenes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I watched it on a plane several years ago because it was about the only option. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was surprisingly not terrible and killed two hours. Agree on Evangeline (who looks even more awesome as Tauriel in the Hobbit movies).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Red Notice" on Netflix is very lightweight, but enjoyable enough. Mindless entertainment that you won't spend much (if any) time thinking about once it's over.

Reaction Score

This is a very good movie. It's almost a 1930s movie about a washed up fighter, very very formulaic. But I've watched it numerous times and it's a flawless movie. The acting is not over the top which is a common pit fall of these big CG pieces. And it has a ton of heart. Perhaps I liked it so much because I expected so little. Regardless it's two hours of fun and pathos.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Playing God" (2021; several films with this title). Twin brother and sister are grifters, who get in over their heads and have to go for a big score to get out of trouble. Alan Tudyk was the mark, I wasn't familiar with anyone else in the cast. The sister, played by Hannah Kasulka, got the most screen time. She carried the movie well. I don't know why it was billed as a comedy, it really wasn't. Good slow burn thriller, drama, with a few twists. I enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
On the Rocks (2020) - Writer/director Sofia Coppola and Bill Murray first teamed up in "Lost In Translation”, a movie that I really loved when it was released back in 2003. They team up again in "On the Rocks", which also stars Rashida Jones who plays a married woman who is beginning to suspect that her husband may be cheating on her. She mentions this thought to her father played by Murray, which really gets the movie going as he starts his own investigation into the matter in true Murray fashion. While “On the Rocks" is certainly a watchable film, it is not close to the same class as "Lost in Translation”. Whatever the case, for me Murray is really the reason to watch “On the Rocks”. Bill Murray was about 70 years old when this movie was made, but to me his performance in this film his strong echos at times of his early career when he was a mainstay on “Saturday Night Live”. "On the Rocks” really gets by on the strength of Murray’s charm.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Crazy About You" (aka The Naked Wanderer) is an Australian film from '19 but maybe getting a U.S. release this year? Or straight to video? I don't know, but it was streaming thru Hoopla. Kinda goofy, but entertaining. A young man proposes to his girlfriend on the same day she was planning on breaking up with him, so that doesn't go well. And he was working for her dad, so she's get him fired from his job. With his prospects down, his roommate talks him into trying a crazy stunt/fundraiser thing to take his mind off things, plus chicks dig it. The roommate's uncle is a much loathed business tycoon who sponsors the venture, but the stipulation is he has to do it wearing nothing but a loin cloth. Traversing 2000 km across Western Australia on foot. Our hero (Angus McLaren, who I can't admit I recognize from an Australian teen series about mermaids) is hoping to win back his ex, but during his trip he meets the lovely Natasha Liu Boridizzo and instantly falls for her. His roommate/support team is an idiot who keeps screwing things up. Numerous misadventures ensue.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So a few for the list

News of the World. Tom Hanks civil war vet has to bring a young girl home. Really nice movie. Hanks is just about the only guy in Hollywood making these kinds of movies. Which leads to…

Finch. Apple +. Tom Hanks is an engineer. The world has mostly ended and the Sun causes radiation sickness and burns instantly. He has a dog. He builds robots and tries to get to a place that is safe. Sweet, quite funny, another Tom Hanks positive human movie.

Prometheus. 2012, Ridley Scott. Sci Fi. Premise is interesting. Charlize Theron is stunning. The movie is boring as hell.

Reaction Score
So a few for the list

News of the World. Tom Hanks civil war vet has to bring a young girl home. Really nice movie. Hanks is just about the only guy in Hollywood making these kinds of movies. Which leads to…

Finch. Apple +. Tom Hanks is an engineer. The world has mostly ended and the Sun causes radiation sickness and burns instantly. He has a dog. He builds robots and tries to get to a place that is safe. Sweet, quite funny, another Tom Hanks positive human movie.

Prometheus. 2012, Ridley Scott. Sci Fi. Premise is interesting. Charlize Theron is stunning. The movie is boring as hell.

Prometheus had a promising premise but I thought it just didnt execute well. The sequel again could have been amazing and just really botched the opportunity.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chaos Walking (2021)

On Hulu

A very entertaining sci fi movie starring Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland ( new Spider Man) and Mads Mikkelson as the antagonist. Definitely worth being on your Watch list.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Spoiled Brats" on Netflix. French with subtitles. A bit goofy to start, but glad I stuck with it. Rich widower w/ 3 20 something kids who are completely spoiled. He decides to teach them some life lessons, arranges a big hoax to pretend all his assets are frozen and they are left with nothing. The kids have to get menial jobs and learn how to function without a silver spoon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom