Recently Watched Movies 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2021

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Silencing (2020) - Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister - GOT) plays an intense former hunter/trapper now turned preservationist after his daughter disappears.

The movie revolves around the search for solving the disappearances/murders of young girls. There are twists.

Annabelle Wallis (Peaker Blinders) also stars.

I liked it quite a bit and think you may find it worth a watch.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched a bunch of stuff over last couple days.

Below Zero. Spanish film about a prison transfer gone wrong. Nothing special. I did like the lead and the one criminal who survived. Wouldn't watch again, but it held my interest for the most part.

American Assassin. I liked the Mitch Rapp character as written by Vince Flynn and read all the books. When I saw who was playing Rapp, I didn't understand the choice, and I still think it could've been cast better, but Dylan O' Brien did grow on me as the movie went on. Michael Keaton was great as Stan Hurley, the grizzled mentor of both Rapp and the main villain. Standard rogue operative goes bad, new operative has to catch him stuff, and Keaton is the key to making it all work.

The Bank Job/Homefront/Redemption. I can't explain why, but I like Jason Statham as an action character (except that I can't watch &F franchise because of Vin Diesel and its overall silliness). If you're not a Statham fan, you probably can sit these out. But, I think the guy actually has enough acting chops to sell the characters and create empathy.
The Bank Job is based on a true story about a robbery of safe deposit vault that contains lots of money, but unknown to the robbers, also contains some photos being used for blackmail and some Mob accounting info. Plot twists ensue leading to an interesting outcome.
Homefront is more the standard cop wants to retire and be with family but his past catches up to him and you kinda know how it's going to end, but it's a fun ride anyway. In fact, I was about 45 minutes into it when I remember I'd actually seen this movie before, but stuck around anyway.
Redemption is a different spin on the returning soldier with PTSD trope. Without giving too much away, Statham, as he acknowledges at the end of the film, is a killing machine when sober, and needs to drink to not kill. It becomes a love story between him and a nun. At some point they end up screwing. Now, you don't get that in a movie every day. This is actually a fairly well-acted film I enjoyed.

Ava. Jessica Chastain takes on all comers as an alcoholic CIA operative with massive killing skills and a history of family problems. If that plot summary sounds ludicrous, it's actually an understatement. However ridiculous its action sequences were, they were more believable than...

6 Underground. OMG, what a POS. I can't even tell you what it's about. It's just one unbelievable Michael Bay action sequence after another with Ryan Reynolds playing his usual tired deadpan schtick throughout. I imagine there's a storyline here that tries to tie things together, but let's not kid ourselves, this is all about car crashes and explosions. If you are severely ADD, this film might keep you interested. If you're normal, you'll likely just get a headache.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We saw Ava, too. Literally forgot about it and you now know why.

I also like Statham. A likeable tough guy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watched a new offering from Netflix last night "Space Sweepers." I believe it's a Korean production, sci fi. A bit silly, but entertaining. Fairly good special effects. Mostly dubbed into English, with a little bit of subtitles. Fairly basic set up of Earth being ruined and becoming uninhabitable, some of the population has moved to stations orbiting the planet, Mars is being terraformed, the haves and have nots being further divided, and most are just trying to scrape by doing whatever they can. It mostly centers around a scruffy crew of space junk salvagers.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
American Assassin. I liked the Mitch Rapp character as written by Vince Flynn and read all the books. When I saw who was playing Rapp, I didn't understand the choice, and I still think it could've been cast better, but Dylan O' Brien did grow on me as the movie went on. Michael Keaton was great as Stan Hurley, the grizzled mentor of both Rapp and the main villain. Standard rogue operative goes bad, new operative has to catch him stuff, and Keaton is the key to making it all work.
I saw it a while ago, thought it was decent, but the opening scene of the shooting at a popular tourist hangout in Spain was really jarring. Seemed way more realistic than typical movie violence. Maybe there had been a mass shooting recently when I saw it, I can't remember for sure now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really liked Lady Bird, and especially Ronan's performance.

I obviously disagree with your take, which appears to contradict itself. How can it both be trite and not make sense? I don't think either is true.

I think you missed one of the central themes, i.e., whether attention is the same as caring.

I don't remember your child situation or ages, but having had two daughters already go through high school and one who is currently a high school freshman, I think it very accurately captures the essence of a lot of what many of them go through. One of mine in particular was/is more similar to the Lady Bird character, including the frequently dysfunctional relationship with her mother, and the frustratingly ambiguous, sometimes toxic, and almost always confusing relationships with friends of both genders (and all points in between).

I have watched it twice and probably picked up more on the second viewing. I would definitely watch it again.

I have thought about it over the weekend, and I don't like the movie any more than I did after I watched it. There are a lot of really good movies about girls going through high school. This is not one of them. I think it is overrated and overly cute while simultaneously being overly dramatic. Gerwig did not tie the story together, and so we are left with a bunch of really good actors acting really well, without a particularly interesting plot or emotional connection with the main character. There are a few cool scene setups, but she does not bring it home. This movie is the Crash of 2017. It will not age well.

Reaction Score
The Command (Kursk) - I dig a good submarine flick. I was familiar with the Kursk tragedy going in. It was well acted but kind of a bore. Firth seemed wasted in the role.

Wolf Walkers - If you are familiar with the movies Song of the Sea or The Secret of Kells then Wolf Walkers animation and style will be instantly recognizable. I could go on with a long lamentation about the death of hand drawn 2D animation in movies but I'll spare you. Instead I'll just ask you to watch this beautifully animated, moving and wonderful story.

Greyhound - This had a breakneck relentless pace but didn't overtly feel like an action movie somehow. It was completely gripping and one of the better movies I've seen recently. Hanks was tremendous and I hope is in line for some nominations. The only letdowns were some less than convincing CGI at times and one of the English captain's accents sounded like the terrible Seth MacFarlane accent from Logan Lucky, and his part (and accent) was easily the worst part of the movie. Greyhound will probably go down as one of my favorites of the year.

Austenland - The wife and I love Flight of the Conchords so we were excited to see Bret McKenzie in something else. It had its silly moments, not terrible but not particularly exciting either. Makes use of the Austen material well enough I suppose.

The Little Things - I read a review blurb from the Little Things RT page that pretty much perfectly sums it up, "Is that it?" I was pretty thoroughly underwhelmed. Trying not to spill any spoilers.

Cowboys & Aliens - Wanted to throw on something brainless one night, this fit the bill. Its kind of funny the ideas that sometimes get such big budget treatment. At no time did a single exec think this thing would bomb? It might've actually benefitted if it had been much darker and had a smaller scope to it.

I, Tonya - Really, really enjoyed this one. Makes Harding a completely sympathetic character. Robbie, Stan and Janney were all excellent and the guy who plays Harding's bodyguard almost steals the show. I gotta see Richard Jewell now just because of how good he was in this. I'm kind of surprised looking at the best picture noms from 2017 that this didn't get chosen as one. Certainly better than the idiotic The Shape of Water.

The Art of Self Defense - Sometimes a movie will present a character(s) that just doesn't really exist in reality but plays it straight and hopes you'll go along with it. I had trouble going along with it. The whole premise could've maybe worked with an ounce less quirkiness but I just couldn't buy it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Dig. 2021, Netflix. Tells the story of an archeological dig in eastern England (Sutton Hoo). It's based on a true story. Carey Mulligan, Ralph Fiennes are the leads. Both are quite good. Lily James appears in a supporting role. This is really a personal story, little romance worked in, and simply people finding people they need that help fill some holes in their lives. The backdrop is that England is on the cusp of being in a state of war with Germany, so WWII looms and begins during the course of the film. Wife and I both enjoyed it. It's not fast paced and has little action, but it's just a good story. 3/4 stars from me.

Here is some info on what was recovered, it's a bit of a spoiler, but unlikely to ruin the story. Sutton Hoo | National Trust

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mortal (2020) - Norwegian film. I have to say my wife and I liked it but I can many turning it off.

A kid living on a farm ends up burning down the house and his family. Since then he's on the lam with Godly powers of fire and brimstone wherever he goes. Turns out the farm land was where Thor and his sons made temple and the farm was built over it.

Interesting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Polar (2019) - This movie was pretty damned good. Mads Mikkelson pulls it off as a retired hitman who is owed an $8M pension in two weeks. Well, his boss doesn't want to pay. So, Mads has to survive for two weeks.

Lots of action and there is a moment. Maybe not for kids here.
Watchable, but wasn't crazy about it. The head gangster who was supposed to pay the pension was neither threatening nor believable, just a clown. That detracted from the film for me as who would risk their life for that moron.

Seems I'm on the dregs of what Netflix has for action films at this point. Been watching Bruce Willis paycheck movies (Acts of Violence, First Kill, Marauders) last couple days, with a Travolta paycheck thrown in (I Am Wrath). All are based on silly and wafer-thin premises, but I did enjoy Marauders and Wrath because of Christopher Meloni who was solid in both.

For some mindless fun, there's The Debt Collector and Debt Collectors 2. Solid buddy movies with believable action and good humor. The first was better by a tad, but the sequel is still enjoyable (although if you watch the first till the end, you'll find the idea of a sequel a stretch). The major annoyance I had with the sequel was that Louis Mandylor's "dese, dose" NY accent kept getting heavier throughout to the point where it was distracting. But I'd happily watch a third installment.

Reaction Score
Coraline (2009) - Every once in a while I feel the need to view relatively recent animated features. I’ve mentioned before that I have found that you can generally find some interesting stuff by sampling lesser known films that were nominated for a Best Animated Feature Oscar. It also helps to check out @Mano's recommendations on animated films that he has made in these threads.

Coraline is a stop action animated feature film about a little girl who is the title character whose family has just moved into a rather old and creepy old house. Coraline is unhappy with her parents and her present surroundings. She discovers a passage way to an alternate reality that also contains many versions of people she knows from the reality that she just came from. Initially she just loves the place, but she discovers that everything isn’t quite as rosy as it all seems, including her Other Mother in this alternate reality. As in the "Wizard of Oz”, she finds it isn’t all that easy to get back home. This film is filled to the brim with colorful sights and enough imagination to fill up several other fantasy movies. For anyone with an interest in animated films, while it may be overly packed with a bit too much going on at times, it is still definitely worth seeing. It is a film that certainly can be enjoyed by adults, we quite enjoyed it. You also might end up viewing sewing buttons in a different light after viewing this film.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Coraline (2009) - Every once in a while I feel the need to view relatively recent animated features. I’ve mentioned before that I have found that you can generally find some interesting stuff by sampling lesser known films that were nominated for a Best Animated Feature Oscar. It also helps to check out @Mano's recommendations on animated films that he has made in these threads.

Coraline is a stop action animated feature film about a little girl who is the title character whose family has just moved into a rather old and creepy old house. Coraline is unhappy with her parents and her present surroundings. She discovers a passage way to an alternate reality that also contains many versions of people she knows from the reality that she just came from. Initially she just loves the place, but she discovers that everything isn’t quite as rosy as it all seems, including her Other Mother in this alternate reality. As in the "Wizard of Oz”, she finds it isn’t all that easy to get back home. This film is filled to the brim with colorful sights and enough imagination to fill up several other fantasy movies. For anyone with an interest in animated films, while it may be overly packed with a bit too much going on at times, it is still definitely worth seeing. It is a film that certainly can be enjoyed by adults, we quite enjoyed it. You also might end up viewing sewing buttons in a different light after viewing this film.

That’s another from a novella by Neil Gaimen.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let Him Go (2020) - Diane Lane and Kevin Costner do a great job in this 1950s era Montana setting.

Definitely worth a watch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Slight OT. Wife and daughter are in DC, so I need a non wife friendly movie to watch tonight. She loves period pieces, war movies, historical dramas etc. So Sci-Fi would perhaps fit the bill.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Slight OT. Wife and daughter are in DC, so I need a non wife friendly movie to watch tonight. She loves period pieces, war movies, historical dramas etc. So Sci-Fi would perhaps fit the bill.
Spaceballs?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The original Oldboy (Korean). It's a hell of a movie.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The original Oldboy (Korean). It's a hell of a movie.

So not the Spike Lee one with Elizabeth Olsen, Josh Brolin etc.?

Edit: Didn't know about that movie, but has a big cast. Lots of Marvel movie folks. Thanos, Scarlet Witch, Nick Fury and Mantis (Guardians of the Galaxy).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple older, lesser known movies with my daughter.

Inside Man (2006) - Bank heist film with Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer and Clive Owen. My daughter (16) said she didn't know who Denzel Washington was (?!) and I always thought this movie was smart and slick and underrated. Well worth a watch/rewatch and has held up well.

That Thing You Do (1996) - Written and directed by Tom Hanks. We watched The Beatles first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show last week, talked about music back then, how records and the radio influenced music and that performance reminded me (obviously) of That Thing You Do. 30 minutes in, she had downloaded the song and thought the movie was great. I have to admit. Really great movie that, again, I think people have forgotten about.

Bonus: The Wonders were on a Zoom call recently talking about filming the movie and practicing the song on their own before filming and on weekends. Super cool discussion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So not the Spike Lee one with Elizabeth Olsen, Josh Brolin etc.?
Didn't see the Spike one and I like Spike. The original is something else, imo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
FWIW, under similar circumstances recently I chose Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, because she doesn’t like him and it’s totally inappropriate for my soon-to-be 15-year old.

It was a good choice for me because I felt I needed to see it. I laughed a lot and was uncomfortable a lot. She would have been horrified.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
FWIW, under similar circumstances recently I chose Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, because she doesn’t like him and it’s totally inappropriate for my soon-to-be 15-year old.

It was a good choice for me because I felt I needed to see it. I laughed a lot and was uncomfortable a lot. She would have been horrified.

Didn‘t think of that, but yeah, the same would apply for my situation. I chose Batman vs Superman, the ultimate edition. Read that it was better than the cinematic release. It is. It’s not great but there is some interesting stuff here. It’s not the disaster I initially thought. Pairs well with bourbon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not a slasher/horror film fan. I did enjoy "Happy Death Day," which was kind of a spoof/deconstruction. It had some kills but it wasn't bloody. Thought maybe it would be along the same line, tried "Freaky." The body swap thing has been done multiple times, but this was a different take on it. Shy high school girl played by Kathryn Newton and deranged serial killer played by Vince Vaughn trade places. This one was really gory, that put me off. They tried to toy w/ various tropes. It was pretty mediocre. Vaughn trying to portray a teen girl and Newton trying to portray a middle aged man was fairly interesting. I'm becoming a fan of Newton. But in what world would she be a wallflower that none of the guys paid any attention to? Quick make over and suddenly she's the hottest girl at school, definitely had the "She's All That" hard to suspend disbelief thing going on. Probably the best element was her frustration at her physical limitations when she was the killer. She was used to being a strong 6-5 dude and now she's a petite female who can't overpower anybody.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I Care A Lot (2020) - This movie is nuts and clocks in at 2 hours. Rosamund Pike stars as a leach who preys on the estates of the old and meek. One of her newest clients (Diane Weist) is connected to a Russian mafia guy, Peter Dinklish, who acts well as a cold mafia boss.

The very very very end is sooooo satisfying.

Netflix

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nomadland (2020) - Frances McDormand excels, as always, as she jumps in feet first as a "houseless" widow who roams the West in her van following the route of other homeless seniors who do what the they need to do to make money and survive.

Not uplifting. But, if you need some moroseness in your life then give this a watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom