Realistic 5 Year Goals for Coach Mora & UConn Football | The Boneyard

Realistic 5 Year Goals for Coach Mora & UConn Football

Reaction Score
I think most of us on this board understand and accept that the most important goal for this hire is to bring us out of the basement of college football and back to some level of respectability and competitiveness. With that, I'm curious what others feel are realistic and attainable goals to set for Coach Mora given our current roster construction, future schedules, budget, conference affiliation, etc.?

If Coach could check off the majority of the below boxes at the end of the 5 years on his contract, I think most would be pleased (at least content) with the state of UConn football and the State/University's investment in it. Obviously college football is extremely fluid and I'm totally getting ahead of myself here as Coach hasn't even begun to fill out his staff / roster. But I'm very interested to hear from others if this is inline with their expectations?
  • No FCS losses
  • Winning record vs UMass (assuming this will be an annual game... I think it's really important we distance ourselves from UMass in the next 5 years, like 4-1 or 5-0 vs them)
  • 4+ wins vs Power 5 opponents (currently P5 18 games scheduled over next 5 years)
  • 3+ wins vs non-UMass G5 regional opponents (7 games scheduled vs Army, Buffalo & Temple over next 5 years)
  • 0-1 double digit loss seasons (anything outside of Year 1 would be disappointing)
  • 3+ 5 win seasons
  • Play in a bowl game
  • Average 26k+ attendance for 2+ seasons
  • Average 24+ PPG for 4+ seasons
  • Average <34 opponents PPG for 4+ seasons
  • 6+ players drafted in the NFL (compared to 3 from 2017-2021, 10 from 2012-2016)
  • Land a top 75 recruiting class
  • Land 2 top 5 in-state HS/Prep football recruits
  • Get a contract extension or get poached by a bigger program
  • Stretch Goals
    • Win a bowl game
    • Average 30+ PPG for 1+ seasons
    • Average 30k attendance for 1+ seasons
    • Win 8+ games
    • Win a 'buy game'

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Next year is tough to predict. We'll just have to see, but I think no FCS losses or sub 100 teams is a must, I think you can do that just by coaching and conditioning. It doesn't take talent to beat UMass, Maine just did it. So next year win all or nearly all of those games.

Reaction Score
All pretty reasonable goals given resources being put towards program. I will add one thing and that is I think timing of not necessarily winning, but making a first bowl game.

2022 is going to be rough with games @ Michigan, @ NC State, v. BC, @ Utah State, Fresno State, @ Army (again). That's a lot of games they are going to take it on the chin with the only games I see a chance of winning being CCSU, UMass (not scheduled, yet), Cuse, FIU, and Ball State. So 2022 early projection without knowing staff and roster but making whatever assumptions you can about improvement year over year 3-4 wins being the ceiling and that's fine, this isn't going to get fixed overnight.

2023 however...it is realistic they could make a bowl: games against Duke at home, Georgia State, FIU, USF, Sacred Heart, UMass (not scheduled yet) and there is 1 more game to be scheduled. Plus NC State and Utah State come to the Rent. I am not expecting a bowl this year, but I think it is realistic.

2024 is also a light schedule in comparison to 2022 with games still be scheduled so if not 2023, I would actually expect to make a bowl this year. If UConn isn't in a bowl by 2024, that's problematic but I am optimistic that will not happen.

Reaction Score
I give 2022 a pass but long term for the program should be:
1. FCS game is an automatic win
2. win 50% of games against mid-tier P5 teams
3. Win 1 payday game every 4 years
4. Win 2 out of 3 against G5 teams excluding UMass
5 Beat UMass most years.
Bowl game most years.

I think this is realistic though it might take a few years to get there. I’m thinking 7-5 in a typical year with the odd 9-10 win season popping up from time to time as will the odd 5-7 when things done go right.

Reaction Score
I think most of us on this board understand and accept that the most important goal for this hire is to bring us out of the basement of college football and back to some level of respectability and competitiveness. With that, I'm curious what others feel are realistic and attainable goals to set for Coach Mora given our current roster construction, future schedules, budget, conference affiliation, etc.?

If Coach could check off the majority of the below boxes at the end of the 5 years on his contract, I think most would be pleased (at least content) with the state of UConn football and the State/University's investment in it. Obviously college football is extremely fluid and I'm totally getting ahead of myself here as Coach hasn't even begun to fill out his staff / roster. But I'm very interested to hear from others if this is inline with their expectations?
  • No FCS losses
  • Winning record vs UMass (assuming this will be an annual game... I think it's really important we distance ourselves from UMass in the next 5 years, like 4-1 or 5-0 vs them)
  • 4+ wins vs Power 5 opponents (currently P5 18 games scheduled over next 5 years)
  • 3+ wins vs non-UMass G5 regional opponents (7 games scheduled vs Army, Buffalo & Temple over next 5 years)
  • 0-1 double digit loss seasons (anything outside of Year 1 would be disappointing)
  • 3+ 5 win seasons
  • Play in a bowl game
  • Average 26k+ attendance for 2+ seasons
  • Average 24+ PPG for 4+ seasons
  • Average <34 opponents PPG for 4+ seasons
  • 6+ players drafted in the NFL (compared to 3 from 2017-2021, 10 from 2012-2016)
  • Land a top 75 recruiting class
  • Land 2 top 5 in-state HS/Prep football recruits
  • Get a contract extension or get poached by a bigger program
  • Stretch Goals
    • Win a bowl game
    • Average 30+ PPG for 1+ seasons
    • Average 30k attendance for 1+ seasons
    • Win 8+ games
    • Win a 'buy game'

Are these KPIs? LOL

Things like attendance are really beyond his control.

I don’t care if we get zero guys in the NFL if we are winning games.

I agree with the rest. Particularly in state and Prep Schools. I came from the prep schools and the only thing keeping kids from wanting to go to UConn is the perception of the program and the staff. It’s nothing to pop over to Avon, Salisbury, Taft, Choate etc.

But really if you told me we were winning 4-5 games by year two I would be over the moon.

And if you really can be attractive to kids in the portal we can get back to getting other coaches fired.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't agree.

One of the things DB has emphasized is that he wanted a coach that connects with the fanbase and the community.

Mora needs to drive enthusiasm in the program. Simple things like social media presence (no daily motivational quotes!) And bigger things like cross sport connections and participating in campus and local events.

And the biggest contributor to attendance? Winning.

So yes....Mora can be held accountable for attendance. Of course not everything..but he plays a role.

Reaction Score
No way can I wrap my head around another 5 year glacial improvement plan. 3 wins next year, .500 following year

Reaction Score
I don't agree.

One of the things DB has emphasized is that he wanted a coach that connects with the fanbase and the community.

Mora needs to drive enthusiasm in the program. Simple things like social media presence (no daily motivational quotes!) And bigger things like cross sport connections and participating in campus and local events.

So yes....Mora can be held accountable for attendance. Of course not everything..but he plays a role.

It’s not under his direct control in the same way offensive and defensive production are.

Community engagement is important but Mora’s job is to coach the team and be the face of the program. He’s not the bleeping box office.

Therefore it’s ridiculous to say that he controls attendance.

Reaction Score
I don't agree.

Totally agree with this. He needs to sell the program in the community. Which he seems very willing and capable of doing.

Also agree that product on the field is the biggest driver for attendance. As we saw with Purdue this year, the fan base is so deflated that a P5 name doesn’t equate to a well attended game. We need to be competitive in said games for people to show.

And he totally has control of that. No more 3 or 4 touchdowns beat downs at home.

Reaction Score
Are these KPIs? LOL

I agree with the rest. Particularly in state and Prep Schools. I came from the prep schools and the only thing keeping kids from wanting to go to UConn is the perception of the program and the staff. It’s nothing to pop over to Avon, Salisbury, Taft, Choate etc.

But really if you told me we were winning 4-5 games by year two I would be over the moon.

And if you really can be attractive to kids in the portal we can get back to getting other coaches fired.
Key Competency Indicators

Reaction Score
Are these KPIs? LOL

I do think having a nice pool of alumni in the NFL is great for the brand and overall recruiting.

Doesn’t necessarily equate to wins and losses (just ask HCPP), but has a positive effect on the program.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It’s not under his direct control in the same way offensive and defensive production are.

Community engagement is important but Mora’s job is to coach the team and be the face of the program. He’s not the bleeping box office.

Therefore it’s ridiculous to say that he controls attendance.
I didn't say he "controls attendance"..but I did agree with the OP that having a goal for attendance makes sense.

Financially....UConn needs to slow the bleeding of the football program. Seems like higher attendance at the games would help. Community and fan engagement....and especially wins will drive attendance.

Seems like the head football coach plays a role in that.

Reaction Score
I do think having a nice pool of alumni in the NFL is great for the brand and overall recruiting.

Doesn’t necessarily equate to wins and losses (just ask HCPP), but has a positive effect on the program.
It’s one of those things that will happen anyways as long as the team performs and improves. It’s not really something I would measure as a direct indicator of his performance.

Even when we had losing conference records in the Big East we were getting guys drafted. We had so many guys going to the NFL most smart people wondered why we weren’t winning more.

Reaction Score
I wonder what's in his contract, specifically in regards to bowls. I hope his agent got "bowl-eligibility" bonuses as opposed to "bowl game" bonuses. Without a tie-in, there may be years there's just not a bowl available.

As for specifics, I'd say bowl eligibility by year 3. He has a lot of roster turnover to manage and a lot of pieces that he needs to add. Then they need to get old. UConn has not been able to get old with the massive transfer portal losses. I think attendance is a little tricky. Haven't had 26k in the Rent since 2010 when the average was 27,492 (actual attendance, not distributed.) Personally keep it simple, in the end wins is what matters, steady improvement each year.

Reaction Score
I wonder what's in his contract, specifically in regards to bowls. I hope his agent got "bowl-eligibility" bonuses as opposed to "bowl game" bonuses. Without a tie-in, there may be years there's just not a bowl available.

As for specifics, I'd say bowl eligibility by year 3. He has a lot of roster turnover to manage and a lot of pieces that he needs to add. Then they need to get old. UConn has not been able to get old with the massive transfer portal losses. I think attendance is a little tricky. Haven't had 26k in the Rent since 2010 when the average was 27,492 (actual attendance, not distributed.) Personally keep it simple, in the end wins is what matters, steady improvement each year.
We did average 28k (70% filled) as recently as 2015. We had 38k in 2010!

I was a student in 2010 - the rent was really rocking then.

Reaction Score
I wonder what's in his contract, specifically in regards to bowls. I hope his agent got "bowl-eligibility" bonuses as opposed to "bowl game" bonuses.
Mora didn’t use an agent to negotiate his contract - will be interesting to see what type of performance bonuses are included tho’

Reaction Score
Coach Mora went center stage on the mic and spoke in front of the crowd at the women's basketball game. We don't have anything to worry about in the community engagement department. Right now we're in a full-court blitz - The governor said we are all in. We hired an NFL/P5 coach. I'll bet Coach will be showing up at many basketball, hockey, baseball and other games to meet the crowds. He can sell kids on playing time, being part of this Husky phoenix and getting plenty of attention doing it.

I don't know if we'll ever get an invite to another conference but being competitive in the big games and drawing programs is important. BC and Rutgers are the only P5 programs in our area so we have that going for us...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Mora didn’t use an agent to negotiate his contract - will be interesting to see what type of performance bonuses are included tho’
That's interesting....I didn't realize that. That says something about how he approaches his business. It's more personal.

Will they ever release details on his incentives? Is it a public document?

Reaction Score

We did average 28k as recently as 2015. We had 38k in 2010!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I want to see progress on offense next year and more overall team speed as there are some building blocks here as his Father stated as the third youngest FBS team.

A winning record within 3 years would be excellent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom