Reacher - New Amazon Prime Series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reacher - New Amazon Prime Series

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've got one episode left. I wanted to finish it off last night, so started the last one at 10:45. Woke up on the couch at midnight. So I'll need to try that again. I do like the show. As @Chin Diesel noted, he's a bit more ruthless than I expected, just killing bad guys indiscriminately.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've got one episode left. I wanted to finish it off last night, so started the last one at 10:45. Woke up on the couch at midnight. So I'll need to try that again. I do like the show. As @Chin Diesel noted, he's a bit more ruthless than I expected, just killing bad guys indiscriminately.
Having read the books and watched this series, I don't really know if there's a solid argument for Reacher "killing bad guys indiscriminately". He does take the law into his own hands, sure. But they are all bad guys trying to eliminate him. It's not like he's a Minneapolis cop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The character has a moral code, it just isn’t main stream. Once he’s decided to eliminate people or an organization, he’s pragmatic about it and takes his opportunities where he finds them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Having read the books and watched this series, I don't really know if there's a solid argument for Reacher "killing bad guys indiscriminately". He does take the law into his own hands, sure. But they are all bad guys trying to eliminate him. It's not like he's a Minneapolis cop.
The character has a moral code, it just isn’t main stream. Once he’s decided to eliminate people or an organization, he’s pragmatic about it and takes his opportunities where he finds them.

And that seems to be a main difference who know the Jack Reacher character through reading the books vice the Tom Cruise movies.

Another big difference between the movies and this is the lack of lawyers, district attorneys, judges and the like. This is really a straight cops and robbers storyline vice a Law and Order storyline.

CL82

Reaction Score
They’ve announced which book they’re going to use for season two.

Bad Luck and Trouble

I get the choice. It features Neagley prominently.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They’ve announced which book they’re going to use for season two.
Well they shouldn't end up having the problem that HBO did w/ Game of Thrones and running out of books to base a season on. There must be more than 30 Reacher novels.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well they shouldn't end up having the problem that HBO did w/ Game of Thrones and running out of books to base a season on. There must be more than 30 Reacher novels.
Add that it’s a lot less expensive to produce and they could be making years of them!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess I was exaggerating slightly. I looked it up, there are 26 Reacher novels.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess I was exaggerating slightly. I looked it up, there are 26 Reacher novels.
So at one season a book, I'd be 82 when the series runs out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
#27 is on the way, and the books are now being cowritten...so they'll probably keep milking this cow for forever. The last couple have been awful though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Assuminga) that you live that long and b) that no more new books are written.

CL82

Reaction Score
#27 is on the way, and the books are now being cowritten...so they'll probably keep milking this cow for forever. The last couple have been awful though.
I haven’t read No Plan B yet, but I have read Better Off Dead. I thought it was fine. There is the standard Reacher plotline of the near insurmountable problem, the unlikely mystery, in the eventual physical solution, but that has been Reacher since day one.

I find the whole Child series to be a lot like potato chips. They are good when you’re in the mood and vaguely addicting.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven’t read No Plan B yet, but I have read Better Off Dead. I thought it was fine. There is the standard Reacher plotline of the near insurmountable problem, the unlikely mystery, in the eventual physical solution, but that has been Reacher since day one.
I've definitely gotten diminishing returns on the most recent books, but I haven't read anywhere near all of the catalog, so I can slowly pick my thru some of the older novels.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've definitely gotten diminishing returns on the most recent books, but I haven't read anywhere near all of the catalog, so I can slowly pick my thru some of the older novels.
I believe I’ve read them all except for no Plan B. I also benefited from some serendipity in that while searching for Lee Child books I stumbled onto Lincoln Child, and especially his work with Preston. That led me to the Gideon’s sword novels and the to Relic and the Pendergast novels. Most recently I went back and picked up there early works, Thunderhead, Riptide and The Ice Limit. It is an interesting and interconnected world, yet which novel stands on its own. I recommend them if you haven’t read them.

For what it’s worth, Riptide is a fictional novel that steals heavily from the Oak Island mythology. Since I enjoy the TV series, the novel was a lot of fun.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks for the recommendations @CL82 . I've been struggling getting into books lately, so that gives me some options to check into.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just did the Netflix-Amazone Prime switcheroo, finally checked out this series. 2 episodes in. I like it. Ritchson is fine in the role of Reacher, but I think Willa Fitzgerald is totally stealing the series so far. Malcolm Goodwin's character isn't nearly as likable as Det. Babineaux was in iZombie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom