Random Thoughts | The Boneyard

Random Thoughts

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let’s see how this ages:

1. This is the best thing that has happened to UConn’s athletic department since Kemba went berzerk.

2. Edsall’s hire makes so much more sense now. He’s still closing recruits for a reason.

3. The AAC was the absolute worst thing I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s a rinky dink operation led by a clown.

4. If they will sell me the P6 flags I will burn them like a 60’s hippie at a Vietnam rally. We can all dance like lunatics.

5. If they can get 6 home football games you literally won’t be able to tell the difference

6. Maybe this is a stretch - but if we can fix the AAC debacle - can someone fix things with Ollie. The AAC payments are going to look like a 72 month Kia loan - close the book and turn the page.

7. No offense to Tulane and Tulsa but I’ll catch y’all in a Grisholm book on a flight with no fly-fi and on the Weather Channel.

9. Bring back the bus to Seton Hall. Williard is a helluva coach and Hurley is going to bring fire and brimstone and we’ll need a ride home from a sold out state of the art arena where people live and die for 135 minutes.

10. Get more Hartford Athletic games on WTNH -
screw ESPN+

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let’s see how this ages:

1. This is the best thing that has happened to UConn’s athletic department since Kemba went berzerk.

2. Edsall’s hire makes so much more sense now. He’s still closing recruits for a reason.

3. The AAC was the absolute worst thing I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s a rinky dink operation led by a clown.

4. If they will sell me the P6 flags I will burn them like a 60’s hippie at a Vietnam rally. We can all dance like lunatics.

5. If they can get 6 home football games you literally won’t be able to tell the difference

6. Maybe this is a stretch - but if we can fix the AAC debacle - can someone fix things with Ollie. The AAC payments are going to look like a 72 month Kia loan - close the book and turn the page.

7. No offense to Tulane and Tulsa but I’ll catch y’all in a Grisholm book on a flight with no fly-fi and on the Weather Channel.

9. Bring back the bus to Seton Hall. Williard is a helluva coach and Hurley is going to bring fire and brimstone and we’ll need a ride home from a sold out state of the art arena where people live and die for 135 minutes.

screw ESPN+

1) The Bazz / Boat Show might have something to say about that.

2) I'd like to hear more about your reasons on this.

Agreed on everything else, except add ECU to that list...

Reaction Score
I think it is important to look at the role of FOX in this - it isn't going to be in the form of a scheduling alliance (my opinion). I think you see them make some garbage bowl game in Florida between two G5 conferences no one cares about, but have the bowl be contractually obligated to choose UConn if they happen to be eligible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) The Bazz / Boat Show might have something to say about that.

2) I'd like to hear more about your reasons on this.

Agreed on everything else, except add ECU to that list...

11v14: take your pick - Kemba’s NBA career has kept 11 more ‘relevant’

Edsall: The thing that made no sense was bringing Edsall back through a no-search back channel. If you really wanted to win in the AAC - you have to go find a lottery ticket. Matt Rhule for example.

Edsall’s salary makes a lotta sense now when you compare it to Indy or MAC or CUSA.

Corey posting the joke GIF... maybe I’m reading too much into things - but if you were truly blindsided by the news no way is that your reaction in the middle of a huge camp weekend.

Orlovsky got blindsided - played w Randy Wednesday and clearly is shook - they couldn’t tell an ESPN guy.

Reaction Score
Basketball games on Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday!

Actually looking at the conference schedule before tossing it in the trash.

Watching a weeknight conference game instead of DVR’ing and watching on fast forward before I go to bed.

Hating our conference mates again instead of just hating our conference.

MSG!

Reaction Score
Let’s see how this ages:

screw ESPN+
Agreed. The ridiculous TV contract was the final nail in the coffin but I think this was hinted at with Hurley and Edsall. There were times watching us play in the AAC where I got physically nauseous. I'm not being hyperbolic, watching us play at East Carolina with refs worse than high school bball refs legit made me physically ill, and I'll be happy if I never see Bob's Big Boy (Aresco) again.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
11v14: take your pick - Kemba’s NBA career has kept 11 more ‘relevant’

Edsall: The thing that made no sense was bringing Edsall back through a no-search back channel. If you really wanted to win in the AAC - you have to go find a lottery ticket. Matt Rhule for example.

Edsall’s salary makes a lotta sense now when you compare it to Indy or MAC or CUSA.

Corey posting the joke GIF... maybe I’m reading too much into things - but if you were truly blindsided by the news no way is that your reaction in the middle of a huge camp weekend.

Orlovsky got blindsided - played w Randy Wednesday and clearly is shook - they couldn’t tell an ESPN guy.

It's not 11 vs 14; it's winning a title vs jumping out of a burning car before it explodes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I will take a glass half full approach to this, I am certain that our athletic program would be in a much better place right now if we had joined the Big East and gone football Indy when Louisville got the last life boat. Nothing we can do about it now.

Not sure if we will get it, but we need at least 5 more years of Geno to have a chance of handing off that program. The women's program was on a death march to oblivion in the AAC.

Conference affiliation is no longer a problem with basketball recruiting. We have opponents in most of the cities that matter for recruiting, and long distance travel is tougher for basketball than it is for football.

We will see the XL center and Gampel fill up again. I am looking forward to the next UConn/St. Johns game at MSG.

I have been a football season ticket holder since the Rent opened, but I have gone to 5 games in the last 2 years, and fell asleep in the stadium at 2 of them. The football program is already at rock bottom. There is no way for it to get worse.

Reaction Score
While I will take a glass half full approach to this, I am certain that our athletic program would be in a much better place right now if we had joined the Big East and gone football Indy when Louisville got the last life boat. Nothing we can do about it now.

Not sure if we will get it, but we need at least 5 more years of Geno to have a chance of handing off that program. The women's program was on a death march to oblivion in the AAC.

Conference affiliation is no longer a problem with basketball recruiting. We have opponents in most of the cities that matter for recruiting, and long distance travel is tougher for basketball than it is for football.

We will see the XL center and Gampel fill up again. I am looking forward to the next UConn/St. Johns game at MSG.

I have been a football season ticket holder since the Rent opened, but I have gone to 5 games in the last 2 years, and fell asleep in the stadium at 2 of them. The football program is already at rock bottom. There is no way for it to get worse.
Agreed with your first paragraph but no looking back. So much has gone wrong because of circumstances out of our control and things we controlled but this is a time to be happy we will be relevant again. We've taken groin punch after groin punch and finally had enough.

Reaction Score
The fact there was no plan for football on the surface worries and bothers me. BBall ambiance felt mostly dead. There were a few exceptions but very little life. If the XL is rocking again than it was a good move. I hope to see BBall recruiting take off with this move.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't know how good it will be. I'm confident it won't be that much worse than missing the NCAA 3 straight years and winning less than 2 FB games/yr.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Random thought I had while driving 35 in a 45. You can't yell at Sunday drivers for driving like Sunday drivers on a Sunday.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
The fact there was no plan for football on the surface worries and bothers me.

I know it has been reported that way, but we don't REALLY know, do we? And since the news was leaked early, I would guess Uconn was not going to announce anything unless football was straightened out.

Reaction Score

I would love to know ESPNs reaction. Did they care? Were they caught off guard?

Reaction Score
I know it has been reported that way, but we don't REALLY know, do we? And since the news was leaked early, I would guess Uconn was not going to announce anything unless football was straightened out.
I agree, but i keep coming back to this is the same outfit that extended Ollie and Diaco right before firing them. Their track record isn't that great.

Reaction Score
I’m a bigger football fan than hoops - this is a good thing.

I don’t share your optimism but I would love to. We are not an easy sell to football recruits.

Convince me that this helps recruiting.

I would love a more “local” football schedule. UMass, Buffalo, Army, etc.

I am glad that the students will get to experience “Big East” basketball. Happy for them but as a football fan I don’t see viable path forward as of yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t share your optimism but I would love to. We are not an easy sell to football recruits.

Convince me that this helps recruiting.

I would love a more “local” football schedule. UMass, Buffalo, Army, etc.

I am glad that the students will get to experience “Big East” basketball. Happy for them but as a football fan I don’t see viable path forward as of yet.

I get what you are saying.

But there wasn’t anyone who could recruit a football team to Storrs to beat Houston and Memphis

7-5 against dumb schedule > 2-10 against AAC

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying.

But there wasn’t anyone who could recruit a football team to Storrs to beat Houston and Memphis

7-5 against dumb schedule > 2-10 against AAC

Bowl alignment?

If the football program dies I guess I can become a remote Hartford Athletic fan.

Basketball does nothing for me until March. We better push some scheduling wizardry.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bowl alignment?

If the football program dies I guess I can become a remote Hartford Athletic fan.

Basketball does nothing for me until March. We better push some scheduling wizardry.

7-5 as Indy and 2-10 in AAC go to the same bowl.

Reaction Score
The football will be better now also the same as basketball because of local recruiting. Let's get the Ct. and NE kid for football too..

Reaction Score
I can’t see the football team’s situation improving. I see it going downhill. Recruiting will be tougher. Parents and recruits will look at UCONN football as the unwanted child.

Reaction Score
I can’t see the football team’s situation improving. I see it going downhill. Recruiting will be tougher. Parents and recruits will look at UCONN football as the unwanted child.
We've had what 6, 7 recruits commit since the rumors started getting confirmed? Back off the ledge for a minute we don't know all the details yet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No point in going 7-5 then. Might as well drop down to FCS.

Let's not worry about this until it is actually something to worry about. We are 2 years from bowl eligibility at best. Benedict has some time to figure this out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom