R.I.P. Connie Hawkins | The Boneyard

R.I.P. Connie Hawkins

Reaction Score
amen. A star-crossed career, but he really had game
oaks-67-68-road-gary-hadnot.jpg

And a gracious man:
I’d have to say Doc and Jordan just took my game to another level. Elgin pioneered it, I came after him, and then after me, Doc. Man, Doc took it to a different level. I mean, I used to dunk and do all types of fancy things, but Doc came in and started doing 360 dunks and taking off from the foul line, and all those types of things. Then Michael Jordan just took it to another level. He’s just a phenomenal ballplayer.
Connie Hawkins: Playground Hard Court Wonder

Reaction Score
amen. A star-crossed career, but he really had game
View attachment 25328

And a gracious man:
I’d have to say Doc and Jordan just took my game to another level. Elgin pioneered it, I came after him, and then after me, Doc. Man, Doc took it to a different level. I mean, I used to dunk and do all types of fancy things, but Doc came in and started doing 360 dunks and taking off from the foul line, and all those types of things. Then Michael Jordan just took it to another level. He’s just a phenomenal ballplayer.
Connie Hawkins: Playground Hard Court Wonder
One of the greatest ever! He used to dominate at Ruckers against Russell and Chamberlain! freshmen year HS read his book Foul 1977! IMO this man got the shaft and why? The agents and recruiters took advantage of a poor kid! In my Fab Five!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Still a legend on NYC playgrounds. Like Satchel Paige (of course for far different reasons) people didn't get to see this phenomenal player until far too late in his career. For both it all seems so ridiculous and almost arbitrary now to us moderns. Not only a tragedy for these players, but for sports fans as well. Still, both of these guys were always so gracious and appreciative when their time did come. Not sure if I would've been the same. RIP men. You've earned your rest.

Reaction Score
This is the successor to Hawk:

Maybe the greatest All-Star game ever played?

Pete Maravich at his best, Bob McAdoo at center, all complementing the great Dr. J.

It's nice to see when the game meant something to the players to win and the MVP honor meant a lot to Dr. J.

We fans were salivating at the thought that the ABA players would be in the NBA and we'd get to see them on tv.

I remember the Sports Illustrated issue with Dr. J in mid flight about to slam a tomahawk dunk.

Reaction Score
I, actually saw "The Hawk" in high school. A 6' 8" center leading the fastbreak. Great player.

I attended a game when my HS played his. A tough crowd. He was a great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom