R.I.P. Charlie Daniels | Page 2 | The Boneyard

R.I.P. Charlie Daniels

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
You sure about that? Now shrooms were prevalent at that time so I could be wrong but I do not recall Seger even touring in 1982 and I certainly do not recall him playing with CDB in Hartford during the early 80's (I worked at the HCC) ... Michael Bolton warmed up Seger in 83 at the HCC.

Boomers yes. Could have been fall of 1981...I'm almost positive about the line up

Reaction Score
You sure about that? Now shrooms were prevalent at that time so I could be wrong but I do not recall Seger even touring in 1982 and I certainly do not recall him playing with CDB in Hartford during the early 80's (I worked at the HCC) ... Michael Bolton warmed up Seger in 83 at the HCC.

In 1982, CDB played the Hartford CC on April 23rd. Jimmy Hall opened.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
one of the best concerts I ever saw in my life (and that includes 350 GD shows, Dylan at Toads place, the Stones at Toads place and hundreds of others) was Charlie Daniels Band at Hartford Civic on August 31st, 1980. I dont care that he turned out to be a redneck . He had IT.
Charlie Daniels played on blonde on blonde and Nashville skyline. He didn’t need to do anything after that but did a lot more.
Charlie Daniels was a well known heroin junkie , he cleaned up but still loved his coke.
That's quite a trio of posts.

April 1969 saw the release not only of "Nashville Skyline," but also the album pictured below. The Producer credit shows as "Charles E. Daniels."

Screenshot_20200707-224708.png

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I saw CDB a bunch of times in the late 70s and early 80s. Always a fun show. I always got a kick out of his song Uneasy Rider.

Reaction Score
one of the best concerts I ever saw in my life (and that includes 350 GD shows, Dylan at Toads place, the Stones at Toads place and hundreds of others) was Charlie Daniels Band at Hartford Civic on August 31st, 1980.

There's a pretty quality SBD or FM bootleg of that show out there. I think I have a copy on an old harddrive. There seems to be some confusion amongst traders as to whether it's 8/31/80 or 9/1/80 but I'm guessing it's that show regardless as I suspect they didn't do two nights in a row at the Civic Center in 1980 but what do I know...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There's a pretty quality SBD or FM bootleg of that show out there. I think I have a copy on an old harddrive. There seems to be some confusion amongst traders as to whether it's 8/31/80 or 9/1/80 but I'm guessing it's that show regardless as I suspect they didn't do two nights in a row at the Civic Center in 1980 but what do I know...
cdb.JPG

Reaction Score
I'm sure that's correct. Just saw the date 9/1 thrown around as well...
CDB HCC 9/1/80

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
In 1982, CDB played the Hartford CC on April 23rd. Jimmy Hall opened.

that must be the show I was at. Who is Jimmy Hall (we must have missed the opener)? Why am I thinking Bob Segar (the fun guy is possible)? That was my freshman year, maybe I saw Segar on another date?

Reaction Score
that must be the show I was at. Who is Jimmy Hall (we must have missed the opener)? Why am I thinking Bob Segar (the fun guy is possible)? That was my freshman year, maybe I saw Segar on another date?

Jimmy Hall was the lead singer of Wet Willie (Top 40 hits in the 70's: Keep on Smilin', street corner serenade, weekend)

Reaction Score
Jimmy Hall was the lead singer of Wet Willie (Top 40 hits in the 70's: Keep on Smilin', street corner serenade, weekend)
Met Jimmy Hall at a friend's funeral. Real nice guy. His version of "A change is gonna come" is moving.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is as good a time as any to remind everyone that the devil kicked Johnny's ass in that fiddle battle.

Yep. Old Beezlebub went all Eddie Jobson on the poor kid, who only had cornball licks to reply with.

“You just go and lay your hand
On a Pittsburgh Steelers' fan
And I think you're gonna finally
understand”

Since moving here I've had the opportunity to get to know some former Steelers and a lot of Steeler fans. The actual Steelers are much better people*. There's a reason this city routinely is ranked as among the worst for opportunities for Blacks and Latinos as well as most racist.

I'm wondering if Charlie knew that, or cared.

*notable exception: Ben Roethlisberger

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Southern Rock and a lot of bluegrass but this guy never did anything for me. His most popular songs were like nails on a chalkboard.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Since moving here I've had the opportunity to get to know some former Steelers and a lot of Steeler fans. The actual Steelers are much better people*. There's a reason this city routinely is ranked as among the worst for opportunities for Blacks and Latinos as well as most racist.

I'm wondering if Charlie knew that, or cared.

*notable exception: Ben Roethlisberger

The city definitely has some institutional issues with race. The Bourdain episode on Pittsburgh is a good watch as it highlighted the historical issues with the lower Hill District which generally gets ignored locally. I don’t think ignorance is exclusive to or a prevailing characteristic with Steeler fans, but there are definitely some generations in this region that have refused to evolve.

Good disclaimer on Roethlisberger, though. You’ll find no bigger Steeler fan than I am and I can’t wait until he is gone. The guy is an absolute fraud and the stories of his running around in his early years are legendary for all the wrong reasons. Complete trash human being.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The city definitely has some institutional issues with race. The Bourdain episode on Pittsburgh is a good watch as it highlighted the historical issues with the lower Hill District which generally gets ignored locally. I don’t think ignorance is exclusive to or a prevailing characteristic with Steeler fans, but there are definitely some generations in this region that have refused to evolve.

Good disclaimer on Roethlisberger, though. You’ll find no bigger Steeler fan than I am and I can’t wait until he is gone. The guy is an absolute fraud and the stories of his running around in his early years are legendary for all the wrong reasons. Complete trash human being.

When you consider the song was released during their 4th SB season (1979) - 41 years ago - even the youngest fans back then are in their 50s now, and yep, not much evolution has occurred in that group.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love Southern Rock and a lot of bluegrass but this guy never did anything for me. His most popular songs were like nails on a chalkboard.

Listen to the Whole album “ fire on the mountain” it’s genIus and well before chud charlie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom