Quinn Sullivan???? | The Boneyard

Quinn Sullivan????

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have zero musical talent from hands to eyes to ears.

Young kid out of Boston area. Legit or ripoff? Did a bunch of stuff with Buddy Guy and seems to be in the Allman, Clapton, Trucks, blues guitarist. Sullivan does a bunch of covers and sounds real good, but I have no idea if he has skills or is just a real good cover guy.

Anyone see him play and have any knowledge on the kid? Would be great if he can continue legacies of blues rock. It would suck if he's just a plug and play replacement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a frame of refernce, this would be when he was 18.

To my untrained eye he seems a capable player (and sings a bit better than Clapton, which isn't saying much). The second solo is pretty good, but what I can't tell is whether he is doing that creatively or whether he's copying something Clapton did. @August_West would be able to offer a more informed opinion. Certainly damned good for a cover band.

Watched a few videos. Will leave my original comments and amend them with this: he sings a lot better than Clapton. Seems to have put out his own stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, apparently he played with Buddy Guy back when he was 14. Here he is playing with him at 18. Have seen enough other videos to suggest that yeah, he's good. Very nice version of Little Wing on YouTube. I liked his Can't Find My Way Home less, but credit for some significant deviation from the original, it's more bluesy than what Blind Faith did and he's a good singer, but Winwood is a great singer.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
To my untrained eye he seems a capable player (and sings a bit better than Clapton, which isn't saying much). The second solo is pretty good, but what I can't tell is whether he is doing that creatively or whether he's copying something Clapton did. @August_West would be able to offer a more informed opinion. Certainly damned good for a cover band.

Watched a few videos. Will leave my original comments and amend them with this: he sings a lot better than Clapton. Seems to have put out his own stuff.

Ok.

1) He's and excellent player. Is he ripping off clapton ? (sure!) but thats not a bad thing. Everyone is an amalgamation of their chief influence. Dylan was ripping off woody Guthrie his first 2 albums.

2)he certainly has internalized certain Clapton signature riffs and approach (and most definitely claptons strat tone) , but still has his own thing through those parameters. Which is how it should be. Note for note is not for me, pay tribute and inject your own voice, even if it sounds so similar.

I think he is very talented. I also think he's not the answer or savior to anything except for playing nice sounding guitar

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As a frame of refernce, this would be when he was 18.

I just thought of something else rewatching, because I watched the video again because I reaaly dig his chops. The bass player and drummer are 55 + keys player is a late 30's and (just off the road and dreams of stardom recently passed) ....... that's this kids future. Playing excellent guitar with great musicians.

The people who make it are people who play with their own age.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just thought of something else rewatching, because I watched the video again because I reaaly dig his chops. The bass player and drummer are 55 + keys player is a late 30's and (just off the road and dreams of stardom recently passed) ....... that's this kids future. Playing excellent guitar with great musicians.

The people who make it are people who play with their own age.

Nobody his age likes this music or plays these tunes. Or not many of them at least. I think that's the challenge. I'm not sure you can "make it" playing blues rock in 2022. Gary Clark Jr. is good, but he's not a huge commercial success. His best shot may be to become a TikTok heartthrob and drag some of his generation into this genre, but he seems too down to earth for that. And yes, he'd need a young band, preferably with an attractive female on bass or keys.

On a positive note, as my own 18 year old daughter confirms, classic rock is fairly "in" right now among her age group. She was raised with it, but she says lots of her friends like all sorts of music from 60's-90's. I think the 60's-80's was so good that becomes almost like classical music, never getting old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom