Question about transfers TO UConn ??? | The Boneyard

Question about transfers TO UConn ???

Reaction Score
I should know this but I don't. Tabletalk at Baylor came to transfers and I was asked to name significant UConn players who had transferred IN to UConn.

I couldn't, I said. That's not the UConn style.

How has Geno used (if, in fact, he has) the transfer IN method of roster management. One of his recent comments about "I can't fix the roster . . . " made me think not only was use of transferring student IN to the program was not his method, but had or does he EVER use the transfer to flesh out his bench?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I should know this but I don't. Tabletalk at Baylor came to transfers and I was asked to name significant UConn players who had transferred IN to UConn.

I couldn't.

How has Geno used (if, in fact, he has) the transfer IN method of roster management. One of his recent comments about "I can't fix the roster . . . " made me think not only was use of transferring student IN to the program was not his method, but had or does he EVER use the transfer to flesh out his bench?

KMulkey has never been a big believer in it until the past three years.

Thanks in advance.
Azurá Stevens should certainly be considered a significant in-transfer. Though not a full-time starter, she was the 3rd-leading scorer and co-leading rebounder of the 2017-18 team at 14.7 ppg and 7.3 rpg.

Reaction Score
Hunter spent most of her time on the injured list and was never able to fulfill her potential. Stevens - she was a good player but we will never know if she would have made the difference between a good season and a national championship. We won't know a thing about Evina until she takes the court. Do not be suprised if Mir McClain winds up being a major contributor to the team immediately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rita Williams is probably the most impactful transfer into Uconn - arrived from JC with three years of eligibilty and was a really good point guard filling the time between Jen and Sue. She is one of three Uconn players to have recorded over 100 steals in two or more seasons (Nykesha 3, Moriah and Rita 2) and one of 5 to record at least 1 (Jen and Gabby added.) She was drafted #13 in 1998 WNBA draft and was an all star in 2001.

Geno had for many years steered clear of transfers because he felt he didn't get enough time to mold them. With the quality of players transferring in recent years and also the increase in players leaving, that seems to have changed, but I think he is still pretty selective on who might interest him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has been less active in the transfer market than just about every major coach, with the possible exception of Tara at Stanford. Given the demands of UConn’s system, he certainly prefers to develop players over a full 4 seasons. So long as UConn can continue to bring in recruiting classes like the one set to enroll this fall, I doubt UConn will be a major destination for transfers.

Reaction Score
Hunter spent most of her time on the injured list and was never able to fulfill her potential. Stevens - she was a good player but we will never know if she would have made the difference between a good season and a national championship. We won't know a thing about Evina until she takes the court. Do not be suprised if Mir McClain winds up being a major contributor to the team immediately.
What does McLean have to do with transfers? She's a HS recruit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
another interesting question is who were the best transfers out of UConn other then EDD? I can't think of many any impactful players..........
Fixed it for you. All joking aside...

There have been many transfers over the years (not nearly as many as other top programs). Tammy Arnold, Marci Gelnney, Jean Clark, Kennitra Johnson, Gillian Goring, Liz Sherwood, Kiana Robinson, Kia Wright, EDD, Samarie Walker, Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Andra Espinosa, Natalie Butler and Lexi Gordon.

Many of them went on to have solid to very good careers at their other schools BUT not a single one transferred to a top program at the time with the exception of Andra Espinosa, and Mississippi State was short players at the time she transferred in. She played very few minutes off the bench last season.

The rest of the kids went to Purdue, NC State, Vandy, Cumberland, SJU, Deleware, Kentucky, Illinois, BCU, PSU, ASU, USC, GW, Miss State and TTU. Aside from Elena, almost to a person, the players transferred out because of the competition of PT at UCONN, and likely they couldn't see a clear path to being a starter.

And besides EDD, Sherwood is probably the only player who would have been a sure-fire starter, mainly because there was literally no other center on the roster when her sophomore year would have started (senior Jess Moore was on the team her 1st season).

Anyway just a bunch of rambling on my part with my $.02...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There have been many transfers over the years (not nearly as many as other top programs). Tammy Arnold, Marci Gelnney, Jean Clark, Kennitra Johnson, Gillian Goring, Liz Sherwood, Kiana Robinson, Kia Wright, EDD, Samarie Walker, Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Mikayla Boykin, Andra Espinosa, and Lexi Gordon.

Many of them went on to have solid to very good careers at their other schools BUT not a single one transferred to a top program at the time with the exception of Andra Espinosa, and Mississippi State was short players at the time she transferred in. She played very few minutes off the bench last season.

The rest of the kids went to Purdue, NC State, Vandy, Cumberland, SJU, Deleware, Kentucky, Illinois, BCU, PSU, ASU, USC, Miss State and TTU. Aside from Elena, almost to a person, the players transferred out because of the competition of PT at UCONN, and likely they couldn't see a clear path to being a starter.

And besides EDD, Sherwood is probably the only player who would have been a sure-fire starter, mainly because there was literally no other center on the roster when her sophomore year would have started (senior Jess Moore was on the team her 1st season).

Anyway just a bunch of rambling on my part with my $.02...
Mikayla Boykin? The Duke player?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jessica McCormick transferred from Washington, but she returned to New Zealand before ever playing a game.

I saw her play several times her Fr. year. I don't think she would've had a major impact at UConn if she had stayed.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Natalie butler
I was going to mention Natalie too. I have watched a few game replays recently and there were times where she came into a game and did what was expected of her. However, in the times where she was put in the 4th quarter of runaway game, I always thought that she tried to hard to impress the Coach and that didn't seem to work out for her.
I liked her and thought that she was able to show flashes of being a competitor but then the next game she would be in the game and immediately get into foul trouble or be involved in a couple turnovers. But I truly liked it when she made a play and would show her emotion!!!
She could have or should have been a much better player if it didn't appear that she played while "looking over her shoulder".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was going to mention Natalie too. I have watched a few game replays recently and there were times where she came into a game and did what was expected of her. However, in the times where she was put in the 4th quarter of runaway game, I always thought that she tried to hard to impress the Coach and that didn't seem to work out for her.
I liked her and thought that she was able to show flashes of being a competitor but then the next game she would be in the game and immediately get into foul trouble or be involved in a couple turnovers. But I truly liked it when she made a play and would show her emotion!!!
She could have or should have been a much better player if it didn't appear that she played while "looking over her shoulder".
I liked Nat a lot. In general, she matched up reasonably well vs true BIGs like Kalani Brown and Alaina Coates, where she could match their size and strength. Nat tended to struggle with smaller more athletic posts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rita Williams is probably the most impactful transfer into Uconn - arrived from JC with three years of eligibilty and was a really good point guard filling the time between Jen and Sue.
Maybe technically. But she was recruited by UConn and parked at a Mitchell so she could meet eligibility requirements. She was an awesome player though, one of Geno's greatest success stories.

Reaction Score
UCONN has been fairly lucky with transfers...….Most schools have some issues with players or players know they just don't fit...….Its not a perfect system...

Reaction Score

And she can tell her grandchildren that she played for UConn and that she led the nation in rebounding. :D

Reaction Score

There have been many transfers over the years (not nearly as many as other top programs). Tammy Arnold, Marci Gelnney, Jean Clark, Kennitra Johnson, Gillian Goring, Liz Sherwood, Kiana Robinson, Kia Wright, EDD, Samarie Walker, Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Brianna Banks, Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, De'Janae Boykin, Andra Espinosa, Natalie Butler and Lexi Gordon.

Good list, but Goring never attended UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good list, but Goring never attended UConn.
Neither did Elena. But both committed (signed LOI) to UCONN. Circumstances caused them to have a change of heart.

Gillian was an interesting situation - it was a long time ago and she's not often discussed so my memory is a bit hazy. She was a BIG - 6'7" I think. Lots of potential. But IIRC there were always questions about her eligibility - not sure exactly what happened, but she ended up at NC State. Had a decent but not great career there IIRC...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Neither did Elena. But both committed (signed LOI) to UCONN. Circumstances caused them to have a change of heart.

Gillian was an interesting situation - it was a long time ago and she's not often discussed so my memory is a bit hazy. She was a BIG - 6'7" I think. Lots of potential. But IIRC there were always questions about her eligibility - not sure exactly what happened, but she ended up at NC State. Had a decent but not great career there IIRC...

EDD enrolled at UCONN for summer classes and was on campus but left after 2 days. Goring wasn't academically eligible and went the Juco route, never setting foot at UCONN. She was still planning to transfer in but it never panned out. She was solid at NC State but ultimately never developed into a dominant big like a lot of people thought she would.

Reaction Score

I couldn't, I said. That's not the UConn style.

Thanks.

Britney Hunter had been recruited by UConn, and offered a scholarship. But she but decided to go to Duke. As the now well known narrative went, Hunter incurred knee injuries, she and her parents believed she was being given shoddy medical care and advice in order to force her back onto the floor. She left and appealed to Coach Geno, who honored his offer of a scholarship. But due to permanent injury to her knee and resulting pain, she could only practice intermittently, and could play only for a total of 15 minutes per game- and not every game. When she was on the court, she displayed her physical brilliance. But she was hobbled, and left UConn after her senior year without regaining her pre-injury form.

So that is the sort of transfer IN that Coach Geno has accepted in the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom