Quality wins for tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quality wins for tournament

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
This very much feels like a “without Bouk” summary.
there is 0 chance we are #41 in the country with him, and especially with a somewhat healthy Akok. More like top 20 in the country pretty easily.
These metrics will catch up once Bouk plays 2 or 3 games.
agreed

Reaction Score
As much as I love yesterday's win, we must remember that it came against a team coming off a Covid pause. Lots of things went our way yesterday such as Cole's shooting, Akok being effective and Whaley's double double. We need to grow from this win and play harder every game.

Reaction Score
As much as I love yesterday's win, we must remember that it came against a team coming off a Covid pause. Lots of things went our way yesterday such as Cole's shooting, Akok being effective and Whaley's double double. We need to grow from this win and play harder every game.
Cool, so do our losses after COVID pauses to Creighton and Seton Hall matter less come selection sunday?

Reaction Score
And get our superstar back. With Bouknight back Cole, Akok and Whaley among others don’t have to be as perfect as they were yesterday. If they play like that AND Bouk is doing his thing then we can beat a LOT of teams. We still haven’t had a full roster of healthy players yet this season

Reaction Score
Cool, so do our losses after COVID pauses to Creighton and Seton Hall matter less come selection sunday?
That is not what I meant. It will matter on selection Sunday, what I meant is so many posters seem to think we have turned the corner. Let us all understand that yesterday was one step and the fact that we must keep the momentum going. We are not yet where we should be or need to be. It was one game only, we have a chance for revenge Tuesday, let's do it. Not looking for an argument.

Reaction Score
UConn needs some quality wins to get into the NCAA tournament. There only quality wins are against USC and Xavier. But first they need to start winning some games. And it all starts Tuesday vs Providence
Is Xavier a quality win, though? They have played 3 games since early January. Pretty tough to evaluate a team when they haven’t played. And USC was very early. I know the theory is all games are created equal but in reality they aren’t. Early season wins and losses are discounted depending on how a team performs over time. We kind of need to beat somebody like Villanova or Creighton along the way or win most if not all of our remaining games. On the other hand we being in a major conference will help. Those pesky mid-majors aren’t getting bids this year no matter how deserving.

Reaction Score
I gotta think if we were on the bubble, the NCAA would give us a bid. The NCAA needs viewers and any money they can get in this pandemic.

Doomed.
I agree with this. Even highly ranked mid majors like Loyola and Belmont aren’t getting at-large bids if they lose conference tournaments this year. On the other hand if they give all the at large bids to the Big 10 and Big 12 you could hardly argue this year.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Good point. I didn’t notice we already play 2/20, 2/23, and 2/27. Maybe it wouldn’t be worth it if we’re still banged up at all.
Tough, but we're going to play 4 games in 4 days in NYC so this will be good conditioning for us.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So we only won because we hit shots and rebounded? Got it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Win we're in, it's a rather simple formula

With the way they played yesterday, and with Bouk returning, they can win. They needed a game like yesterday, for themselves and for me :)

Maybe just maybe they can play down the stretch like they did last year. A decade ago, that was my expectation, they play their best down the stretch. Maybe Hurley can create that same expectation

I'm back on the bandwagon (hey, I'm an eternal optimistic by nature)

Reaction Score
Nothing has gone our way this season, we've been the most unlucky team in the entire country when it comes to injuries and Covid pauses. Guys playing well isn't things going your way.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Passing helps too. Throw in some D, and baddafreakingbing, they're pretty good

Reaction Score
Weird that before the game yesterday...Lunardi has “win and in” on his little summary and then we won and we still aren’t in. Was he just assuming a bubble team would lose.

Reaction Score
We should get a couple quality wins during the conference tourney.
Nova, Creighton, Xavier, and Seton Hall would all be Q1 games on neutral court.

Reaction Score
Well, to tell you the truth yes we won because we made more baskets than they did. I always thought that was the most important part of basketball. Not the only part, but the most important part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom