Quality wins for tournament | The Boneyard

Quality wins for tournament

Reaction Score
Right now Lunardi still has us in the first 4 out. Of our final 6 games we have 2 Quad 1, 1 Quad 2, and 3 Quad 3 opportunities remaining. It feels like we’re gonna need to win at least 4 if not 5 to feel comfortable heading into the Big East tournament.

Reaction Score
Right now Lunardi still has us in the first 4 out. Of our final 6 games we have 2 Quad 1, 1 Quad 2, and 3 Quad 3 opportunities remaining. It feels like we’re gonna need to win at least 4 if not 5 to feel comfortable heading into the Big East tournament.

This might sound dumb but what are these "quad wins" that people refer to?

Reaction Score
Wiki:

Since 2018, one criterion for determining selection to the NCAA Tournament has been performance against certain RPI quadrants. Typically, a quadrant 1 win is considered a "good win", while a quadrant 4 loss is considered a "bad loss". The quadrants are defined as follows:

• Quadrant 1: Home games vs. RPI teams ranked in the top 30; neutral games vs. 1-50; away games vs. 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home vs. 31-75 teams; neutral vs. 51-100; away vs. 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home vs. 76-160 teams; neutral vs. 101-200; away vs. 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home vs. 161-plus teams; neutral vs. 201-plus; away vs. 241-plus.[7]
The quadrant system is still in use under the new NET system, with RPI ranking replaced by NET ranking.[3]

Reaction Score
I was shocked to see we were still on the outside looking in after beating Xavier on the road. I feel comfortable that we’ll take care of business and get in. I just assumed a win over Xavier would have put us in the right side of the bubble.

Hey, at least we have more Quad 1 and Quad 2 opportunities than we would have had in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I was shocked to see we were still on the outside looking in after beating Xavier on the road. I feel comfortable that we’ll take care of business and get in. I just assumed a win over Xavier would have put us in the right side of the bubble.

Hey, at least we have more Quad 1 and Quad 2 opportunities than we would have had in the AAC.
Lunardi never updated it

Reaction Score
Lunardi never updated it
If you look on his Twitter he updated the bubble at 11:30 last night after the Pac-12 games were done.

Attachments

• E39A29AD-77B4-4344-B6FE-22785FC040AF.jpeg
    E39A29AD-77B4-4344-B6FE-22785FC040AF.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 234
Reaction Score
It looks like UConn has 2 quad 1 games left on the regular season schedule currently (Nova, Seton Hall) and a quad 2 game at Georgetown. They need 2/3 of those games. The conference tournament is still in. I haven’t seen any make up games to this point but UConn and Nova both have an open date on 2/25, they should play. If Big East wants to maximize the potential tournament teams it has, it neeeds to give UConn another quad 1 opportunity in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but Villanova’s resume is not all that impressive.. they beat Seton Hall twice and won at Texas. They had an early season game against Arizona St which is now 6-9. They got beat down pretty good by St John’s and Creighton... we’re 4 made foul shots away from being 11-3 and probably in the top 20.. If you look across the landscape of college basketball you’ll see this more and more. Perception is everything. Get Bouknight back with a few quality wins and that perception changes back in our favor.

Reaction Score
It looks like UConn has 2 quad 1 games left on the regular season schedule currently (Nova, Seton Hall) and a quad 2 game at Georgetown. They need 2/3 of those games. The conference tournament is still in. I haven’t seen any make up games to this point but UConn and Nova both have an open date on 2/25, they should play. If Big East wants to maximize the potential tournament teams it has, it neeeds to give UConn another quad 1 opportunity in the regular season.
It looks like there are no Big East games at all on 2/25. I wonder if they’ll wait until closer to that date to try to minimize the chance of scheduling a game and having it wiped out by COVID again. I agree we should play Nova that day if we can. It would be good for us and for the conference.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Marquette has played so poorly. Our Jan. 5 win at Marquette was a Quad 1 win as their NET was 63. They have since sunk below SJU, G'town and Prov to a NET of 110. It's still a Quad 2 win so I hope they don't sink any lower.

Reaction Score
It looks like there are no Big East games at all on 2/25. I wonder if they’ll wait until closer to that date to try to minimize the chance of scheduling a game and having it wiped out by COVID again. I agree we should play Nova that day if we can. It would be good for us and for the conference.
It’d be a really tough stretch to play 4 games in a week but they need as many opportunities as possible. I’d rather get two chances at Nova than one. But just have to keep winning, I think if they mostly take care of business they should be okay. Then try to make a little run in the conf tournament

Reaction Score
It’d be a really tough stretch to play 4 games in a week but they need as many opportunities as possible. I’d rather get two chances at Nova than one. But just have to keep winning, I think if they mostly take care of business they should be okay. Then try to make a little run in the conf tournament
Good point. I didn’t notice we already play 2/20, 2/23, and 2/27. Maybe it wouldn’t be worth it if we’re still banged up at all.

Reaction Score
This might sound dumb but what are these "quad wins" that people refer to?
I didn’t know the exact detais either, other than the more quad 1 or 2 wins you have, the better off you are. We have not been close to being a tournament team since they put that system in place, so I never really studied it that much.

Reaction Score
I gotta think if we were on the bubble, the NCAA would give us a bid. The NCAA needs viewers and any money they can get in this pandemic.

Doomed.

Reaction Score
Lunardi is far from gospel, Kevin Pulsifer is the 2nd most accurate bracketologist over the last 5 years he had us a 11 seed going into yesterday. Switch the Coverage, 4th most accurate, has us as an 11 as well. The 1st and 3rd have not released brackets.

Lunardi ranks 55th.

Reaction Score
UConn needs some quality wins to get into the NCAA tournament. There only quality wins are against USC and Xavier. But first they need to start winning some games. And it all starts Tuesday vs Providence
Thats why Selection Sunday will be very interesting. I guarantee there will be teams essentially getting punished and missing the tournament because they played less games. I know they put in the 13 game minimum to qualify for the tournament, but obviously more games = more chances for quality wins.

Just look at the Big East. Creighton has played 21 games so far with 4 remaining on their schedule. Provided they dont have any of them PPD, thats 25 games heading into the Big East Tournament. As of right now, we have only played 14, and we have 6 games remaining. That leaves a 5 game difference between us and Creighton heading into the BET. Thats actually a decent amount of games between the two, and thats going to be the case among teams heading into the NCAA. That just makes selection and seeding that much harder.

Reaction Score
How would a Creighton win look on the resume right now? I know I sound like a broken record but that really was a huge missed opportunity, of which there aren't that many this shortened season. But alas, you can't always look backwards in life. So just win games from here on forward and the Huskies will be fine. Plenty of opportunities for resume building wins on the way to the BET Championship also. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom