Qadence Samuels commits! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Qadence Samuels commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Siriusly good sentiment.

Nothing like looking up in the night sky in late March and spying our buddy Orion accompanied by

It is, but it is also a second order equation in math & Physics that decribes a parabola.

As long as one of the "pair" of bolas [intentially mispronouncing the word 'parabola'] is not ebola, you will be fine. ;) :cool:

Also, you can use the quadradic solution to solve it. I call that a "quads" workout.... (for your mind) :D
The quads of my brain hurts from read all tht info....hahaha

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Siriusly good sentiment.

Nothing like looking up in the night sky in late March and spying our buddy Orion accompanied by his faithful canines.
While sipping on a nightcap...nice,
I'd hop on tht bus Gus!
Sounds like a plan my man

Reaction Score
I've seen several references that Quadence is a good student also. Again, there are only so many kids that fit the Uconn profile. I love her energy level when she plays. She's all business out there and from what little I've seen a quick thinker. Her head is in the game. There is no cloud over her head like there is with so many young people. Her form looks decent on her jump shot to me at least ( I'm no expert ). I'm seeing length and a lot of quickness. She can move her feet. I think she has more defensive potential than just about anyone we have. In regard to her rating, I'm not seeing a lot of social media or PR activity on her. A lot of mediocre kids get PR out the wazoo and a higher rating as a result. Maybe she didn't get a lot of national exposure either. It costs money to play with a lot of these travel teams. At minimum, she gives Geno another player type in the player pool and increased depth. And this girl has potential to be great in the right environment. She chose well.
You figured all that out after a small sample size of available data...amazing !!!!!!!!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is, but it is also a second order equation in math & Physics that decribes a parabola.

As long as one of the "pair" of bolas [intentially mispronouncing the word 'parabola'] is not ebola, you will be fine. ;) :cool:

Also, you can use the quadradic solution to solve it. I call that a "quads" workout.... (for your mind) :D
I joined The BY believing there would be no math involved. Just reading this response hurts. I sending you a bill.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd played for St Johns, which is in the same league in the Washington, D.C. area with Bishop McNamara. Wonder if, and how many times, Fudd played against Qadence Samuels? Would be interesting to hear Fudd's take on Samuels' talents.

Reaction Score
IMO Edwards has shown to be a reliable center. And there is no question about it. For 1.5 years out of 2 in her early career she has performed pretty well. SO I don’t understand the trepidation just saying it. Why does a half year in her soph year trump 1.5 years of her frosh and soph years when she was fine?
From what I can tell, I probably do have more doubts about Aaliyah than most on the Boneyard. She did improve over the last half of the season, but IMO was still not to the level of her freshmen season even near the end. I have no doubt that if she takes things seriously, she will return to form. I believe she will, and that is one of our biggest hopes for improvement this year.

But while I expect that to happen, last year she was a major disappointment. She has had one season where she looked like a future All American, and one where I could see her being beaten out by a freshmen like Ice or Ayanna. Since both extremes have happened I think you have to consider the possibility that either could happen again.

Geno implied last year that the Olympic team did not get to practice much and Aaliyah rarely played in the games, as if that contributed to her not being in the best condition. This year with an under 23 team she should get much more work, but the main point is the conditioning is in her hands, the burden of proof is on her.

As for using a very good natural PF at C instead of a true C type, of course many teams do that with good results. "Good" Aaliyah can do that, and Ice probably could too. A rotation with no big over 6-3 could work, no question, but would I still prefer a 6-5 or better player who could earn their minutes there, over a good PF playing a little out of position? Yes, but getting that type of big in the 2023 class is probably not very likely at this point.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if Samuels confounds the rating agencies and becomes a national All Freshman player?
She looks better than #35 from the highlight reel which is usually intrinsically unreliable. However, the intensity, pull up jumper and slashing ability are real. Geno and CD are historically "decent" judges of talent so I'm excited.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Those of us who have been on this board for a while know, Geno recognizes talent and potential in players. There is an ole saying your cant take a dud and make them a stud. Samuels appears to be a stud. She has the "want to" and with UConns coaching and developmental program she will become another really good player within UConns system. Just the fact that she says she wants to be developed lets us know about her attitude, shes coachable. With that kind of attitude she will fit in and not be a bad apple. Her attitude will carry her in practices and being surrounded by other top players with the same attitude well I think the skys the limit.

As far as practices go. At UConn your developed beyond what you think you can do. Development means changing the way your doing things now to the way your suppose to do them. Bria Hartley once said you practice it til you dont get it wrong. Well thats what it takes to become great. At UConn your reward is playtime.

Geno has created an aphnosphe and environment where kids can exceed. There aint no in-between. Working on your game is fun especially when all the practice beings to show up. I remember Tina Charles came to UConn and had problems making foul shots. There were times she threw up air balls. Now look at her. At Uconn its all there for those who want it and for those who dont well there are other places to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I interviewed the Tennessee Flight AAU coach after Stefanie committed and even HE felt Stef would be “a nice role player” for UConn. I should have asked him after Stef graduated what he thought of her development :)
How about after Stef won gold in 3x3 in the Olympics and the 2021 WNBA Championship?!? :) :) :)

Now with the Liberty, apparently the Sky was NOT the limit.... ;) :cool: :cool: ;)

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t surprise me if you guys got Thomas. I know Maryland (and possibly ND) are also looking into her. Don’t know who else though.
I plead ignorance in not knowing anything about Thomas. Its she class of 2023? I am thinking Geno was a bit surprised that Qadence committed to UCONN. Somehow, the UCONN rhetoric seemed to be that the two incoming guards were enough, and that Geno wasn't planning on having to deal with three recruits. Now you are suggesting there could be a fourth in that class? By the way, I am personally pretty psyched about Qadence, given what I have seen and read. She seems like a potential great one. Even if somewhat over-looked.

Reaction Score
Love the family picture. Love the poofballs for her hair. Love that her sister has the same hair. Hope she keeps that all thru college.

LOVED Christyn's poofy hair. Not a fan when she changed it to the braids. Also a huge fan of Liya's purple and yellow braids. Love when players do something unique and fun (Side note - not a fan of the new Dangerfield hair...).

Anyway, if QS's personality is as fun as her hair, we are going to be in for 4 years of entertainment with her - and not just from a "great hoops" perspective! :D
Are you familiar with Hostess Snowballs? She could dye her poof balls pink and win a promotional contract.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I plead ignorance in not knowing anything about Thomas. Its she class of 2023? I am thinking Geno was a bit surprised that Qadence committed to UCONN. Somehow, the UCONN rhetoric seemed to be that the two incoming guards were enough, and that Geno wasn't planning on having to deal with three recruits. Now you are suggesting there could be a fourth in that class? By the way, I am personally pretty psyched about Qadence, given what I have seen and read. She seems like a potential great one. Even if somewhat over-looked.
Delaney Thomas is an AAU & HS teamamte of Azzi Fudd who was good enough to make USA basketball U16 team last summer. She is very solid all around player without possessing anything that would be considered at the elite level. She would do very well at UCONN IMO. While I view Quandace as a big guard/wing/SF I do not see the wing type player in Delaney. I think Delaney would be more of a traditional F versus being a wing type player. Whether viewed from a skill mix, position, offered players or quantity perspective only two recruits in the class of 2023 was never going to be enough for UCONN so I'm not sure where that "rhetoric" would have been coming from.

Reaction Score
Delaney Thomas is an AAU & HS teamamte of Azzi Fudd who was good enough to make USA basketball U16 team last summer. She is very solid all around player without possessing anything that would be considered at the elite level. She would do very well at UCONN IMO. While I view Quandace as a big guard/wing/SF I do not see the wing type player in Delaney. I think Delaney would be more of a traditional F versus being a wing type player. Whether viewed from a skill mix, position, offered players or quantity perspective only two recruits in the class of 2023 was never going to be enough for UCONN so I'm not sure where that "rhetoric" would have been coming from.
There was ‘rhetoric’ about not needing more ‘23 recruits? I must have missed it. I remember a lot of fussing about needing more ‘22 transfers. But it seems pretty clear that ‘23 needed someone else or two, and ‘24 has to be a priority for at least one post.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We got 2 excellent players in 2022, but I think we need to average 3 per class for a roster of 12. That suggests that we need 4. Recall that Paige’s class had 5 and Azzi’s class had 4. I think we might try to get 1-2 more.

Reaction Score
You want to leave scholarship slots open unless the recruit is actually good enough to contribute. We all know more players would love to go to Uconn right? It is a delicate balance to offer only to the players you want. The ones you really want and are not just settling for. that's how you stay on top all these years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd played for St Johns, which is in the same league in the Washington, D.C. area with Bishop McNamara. Wonder if, and how many times, Fudd played against Qadence Samuels? Would be interesting to hear Fudd's take on Samuels' talents.
McNamara and Paul VI were the major challengers to St. John’s during Azzi’s career. Especially when Azzi was healthy, her team usually won, often in close games. McNamara seems to have 1-2 top-50 players in each class.

In Qadence’s junior year, Azzi was at UConn. In Qadence’s sophomore year, St. John’s played only 2 games, I believe, because of Covid. In Qadence’s freshman year, she was probably only the 4th best player on the team and Azzi was coming back from injury. I bet they know some of the same people, even if they don’t know each other well.

Reaction Score
From what I can tell, I probably do have more doubts about Aaliyah than most on the Boneyard. She did improve over the last half of the season, but IMO was still not to the level of her freshmen season even near the end. I have no doubt that if she takes things seriously, she will return to form. I believe she will, and that is one of our biggest hopes for improvement this year.

But while I expect that to happen, last year she was a major disappointment. She has had one season where she looked like a future All American, and one where I could see her being beaten out by a freshmen like Ice or Ayanna. Since both extremes have happened I think you have to consider the possibility that either could happen again.

Geno implied last year that the Olympic team did not get to practice much and Aaliyah rarely played in the games, as if that contributed to her not being in the best condition. This year with an under 23 team she should get much more work, but the main point is the conditioning is in her hands, the burden of proof is on her.

As for using a very good natural PF at C instead of a true C type, of course many teams do that with good results. "Good" Aaliyah can do that, and Ice probably could too. A rotation with no big over 6-3 could work, no question, but would I still prefer a 6-5 or better player who could earn their minutes there, over a good PF playing a little out of position? Yes, but getting that type of big in the 2023 class is probably not very likely at this point.
She played well over the last half season. It's nice/great/terrific that you want more as does every fan for their teams. So much so that you expect All-American. But you can't just say "You aren't good" if "You are not an All_American," can you?

So isn't it true if a player who is not the main weapon or even the 2nd, shoots 53.3% from the field, averaging 9.2 ppg, with 6.2 rebounds; those are productive numbers, aren't they?

SO because she isn't living up to your All-American standards, you don't have confidence that she can be productive even though she has shown you 1.5 years out of 2 that she has been?

As far as height, sure play the 6'5 player as long as they are better than the 6'2/ 6'3 players. But we know skill and athleticism can overcome size. SO Edwards has shown us that she has been productive defending. So there shouldn't be any trepidation just because we "prefer" taller. Heck I prefer Stewart and Maya Moore. :):) But players like Edwards can still be good/productive even if they aren't an A/A.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of talk Delaney Thomas but I haven’t seen any signs pointing to UConn staff actually recruiting her. Neither coach valley or CD follow her on social media indicating to me at least that we aren’t going after her. Does anyone have any proof other than a picture where she moved Azzi in to her dorm room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom