Qadence Samuels commits! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Qadence Samuels commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am so happy to hear that we have another awesome player coming to UConn. The Number #1 overall recruit just signed with LSU. A day or so later we get a commitment. Just makes me wonder if this happened by chance or was there a wait and see what transpires. Am happy for Kim and am also happy for Geno. Now lets keep them coming.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno was saving a slot for Mikaylah but her being off the table made any contingent offers open. They told Caroline that they wanted her but needed to make sure they had an opening. The same sort of communication could be happening with others.

Reaction Score
Kinda makes me wonder how the offer process works. With some kids like Ashlynn, KK, Ice, Ayanna they committed early in the process. But others seem to be caught up in contingency thinking. It sounds a bit like playing mah jongg.

Reaction Score
In terms of how this affects other potential prospects, my guess is it probably means Booker, Prosper and Kitts are less likely and Uconn was starting to get that impression, and also that Hull who was ranked lower than Samuels is probably no longer interested. The remaining needs and possibilities are clearly with the bigs, and preferably a true C not another PF.

With C and Breya Cunningham out of the picture the only remaining really high prospect there is Del Rosario, and I don't think we were high on her list, but maybe late interest could swing her over. She might not have liked being Uconn's apparent third choice for a big behind C and Breya, but might reconsider us if she has indeed moved up the list.

Beyond that in terms of a difference maker at C, it is probably more likely to be wait for the next class, and the transfer portal next year. We could still get a lower rated prospect that might be an end of the bench injury insurance type of role, and we should probably try for that if we miss out on our best choices. Seasons like the last one with injuries, and so many uncertainties with the bigs we have now makes me think an extra body or two outside the usual rotation is worth having.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kinda makes me wonder how the offer process works. With some kids like Ashlynn, KK, Ice, Ayanna they committed early in the process. But others seem to be caught up in contingency thinking. It sounds a bit like playing mah jongg.
Just my $.02 of course - take it with a grain of salt FWIW...

In the past, going back to all classes leading up to about the Ann Strother class, Geno would not recruit players early, in fact not until midway thru their junior years of high school. That was the rule.

That worked fine up until Ann Strother's class. She verbaled very late and ultimately chose UCONN, but there were some pretty famous reports of how badly Tennessee wanted her and how they had a mini blimp deliver her offer letter in TBA and also made tshirits with her baby picture on it. Fans were on pins and needles for her decision.

At any rate, immediately after that class, Geno completely struck out on all his top targets for 2003 and ended up with Sherwood, Wright and Robinson. Wright never even made it to campus and Sherwood and Robinson didn't make it to season 2. He realized pretty quickly that he needed to start recruiting kids sooner.

So like all great coaches, he changed with the times. The following class was Houston, Thomas, and Swanier. Hunter should have come, but her parents pushed her towards Duke. She stayed there 1 year, and most reports said deep down, she always wanted UCONN. Oh, what could have been. 2 knee injuries pretty much ruined her career.

Anyway, the next class of Montgomery, Greene, and role players Williams/Kern was really the last class where the old M.O. of recruiting late came to pass. Greene, IIRC, was a big surprise to UCONN fans and again IIRC, Geno went after her late in the process.

Then started the golden age. Tina Charles came next followed by Maya Moore, followed by Hayes, Doty, and EDD (oh what could have been).

Anyway that's a super long winded way of saying that for the most part, the staff is aware of kids when they are young, probably as early as 8th grade. They have gotten "in" with kids during their freshmen years, and like Ice did, some verbal as sophomores. I know Geno would "prefer" not to take verbals so early, but the times have changed and he's had to change with them. Geno actually prefers kids to verbal fairly quickly after mutual interest and visiting UCONN. He generally feels that the kids who work out the best know right away that UCONN is right for them.

I think also some kids just "know". They want the recruiting done and out of the way as it can be a huge distraction. Others enjoy the process and want to go on lots of visits. Others really have a hard time deciding and need to wait and really let the decision settle in their souls.

Reaction Score
Here is a QUESTION for Boneyarders. Would you place your faith in a number of a BB rating system of a young girl's talent versus, Geno, Cris and their staff's ability to rate a young woman's BB talent and character??????? What say you.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Looks to me like somebody has a boot on?
Yes, the photo was taken on May 30 2021 -- slightly more than a year ago. Paige was coming off ankle surgery. That is why she had the boot on.

Reaction Score
Its a really good sign. The easy choice for her would have been Maryland. She made the hard choice, which says to me she’s looking for a challenge.

Of course, choosing Maryland means choosing to begin one's career at Maryland. That program is riddled with transfers. No one seems to actually stay there more than two years.

Reaction Score
McNamara is a big-time program. Recent grads are stars at NC State, Texas, and Ole Miss.

Welcome, Quadence!

For decades, Bishop McNamara has been one of the top basketball schools in the Washington, D.C. basketball world for boys. And now the same for girls.

Reaction Score
Years ago, I worked for Scout recruiting and helped put together Scout’s rankings. They are pretty much a best guess as to how the player will be in college and are very much an inexact art, as opposed to a science.

We had a great deal of discussion regarding rankings - are we ranking players in order as we see them today or are we ranking them on how we believe they’ll be in college? There are many players with mad skills that can’t/won’t play well with a team. And the reverse, there are fabulous “glue“ type players (think Kelly Faris) that don’t show anything spectacular in any particular aspect of the game.

Keep in mind, some ranking services love athletic players more than skilled ones, and vice versa. There are those who have subtle biases, for example preferring guards over posts. I used to argue we should rank by position because it made no sense to compare a point guard with a center but was overruled.

So, rankings are very subjective. I refuse to get too wound up when I see a number next to a girl’s name because it‘s just the ranking committee or person’s opinion, no better or worse than mine.

Connecticut recruits have an uncanny way of seeing their rankings rocket up right after they announce for UConn!! Seems that the rating agencies have enormous respect for a certain coach's eye for talent!!!

Reaction Score
I interviewed the Tennessee Flight AAU coach after Stefanie committed and even HE felt Stef would be “a nice role player” for UConn. I should have asked him after Stef graduated what he thought of her development :)

I recall seeing her in the McDonald's AA game. She was out of shape, slow, couldn't jump, and was thoroughly outclassed by the rest of the players. What she became was all Coach Geno. He created an amazing basketball player out of someone who likely would not have impressed had she gone to another program.

He used Faris brilliantly, though Faris was not a natural scorer and didn't make an impact in the pros.

Coach Geno molds talent, and creates coherent teams.

Reaction Score
Beyond that in terms of a difference maker at C, it is probably more likely to be wait for the next class, and the transfer portal next year. We could still get a lower rated prospect that might be an end of the bench injury insurance type of role, and we should probably try for that if we miss out on our best choices. Seasons like the last one with injuries, and so many uncertainties with the bigs we have now makes me think an extra body or two outside the usual rotation is worth having.
I don't follow the recruiting and know as much as many that really know a lot about these kids. But in terms of last year, UCONN did have two players "outside the usual rotation," but we saw how that turned out. As it turns out every year. Some players sit.

Last year was an anomaly. You can't plan for anomalies. You just have to do the best you can. And UCONN wound up getting to the Finals. Anyhow, according to Hoopgrulz 2020 class had Edwards ranked as 23 ranked. Going into the 2020-2021 season, the projection was her and Griffin, with Edwards at the backup center. That team was good enough to get to FF. They did produce a FF that year - so as of right now it appears UCONN is stronger than that class. So the planning is already in place. Don’t really need that other big body unless you know that player is going to be better. I can't imagine at its worst that of the 4 Brady, Patterson, Griffin and Amari that one won't be "at least" the frosh "Edwards" in terms of performance. So I'm not really sure it's worth having. Though any player that can help you for 1 second is worth however you have to be fair to the kid you are recruiting.

Reaction Score
Kara was unranked. Although tall, she was too heavy and out of shape to dominate in high school. BC, where Kara wanted to go, wouldn’t recruit her because she was considered a project.

Jamelle was pretty highly regarded, around 10-12, I believe. But you need to remember rankings were regional and didn’t cover every are of the county. High school girls recruiting wasn’t widespread at that time.

Wasn't Rebecca Lobo the top-rated big?

Reaction Score
In terms of how this affects other potential prospects, my guess is it probably means Booker, Prosper and Kitts are less likely and Uconn was starting to get that impression, and also that Hull who was ranked lower than Samuels is probably no longer interested. The remaining needs and possibilities are clearly with the bigs, and preferably a true C not another PF.

With C and Breya Cunningham out of the picture the only remaining really high prospect there is Del Rosario, and I don't think we were high on her list, but maybe late interest could swing her over. She might not have liked being Uconn's apparent third choice for a big behind C and Breya, but might reconsider us if she has indeed moved up the list.

After watching the U18 I'd much much rather have Brady at the 5 than Del Rosario. The only way DR rates higher is height, a very overrated factor. A year from now I'd be happy with a Brady/Edwards/Patterson front line.

Reaction Score
Here is a QUESTION for Boneyarders. Would you place your faith in a number of a BB rating system of a young girl's talent versus, Geno, Cris and their staff's ability to rate a young woman's BB talent and character??????? What say you.....
there's a difference between a player's ranking and what UConn may be looking for in a recruit...........there are plenty of very talented players that simply wouldn't fit in at UConn.........I'm not sure the rankings take into account toughness, basketball IQ and being a great teammate to the degree that Geno does........

Reaction Score
I must go with Geno and C.D. I enjoy the blend of talent and chemistry (good team "fit").
Of course, some things appear to be " fate" or " the unknown" (which I don't know about!!) Z

Reaction Score
Can't get enough of the new recruit? Here's some personal stuff with her on the court. The kind of work some players find boring and some gym rats live for.

I notice on the video that Qadence Samuels enjoys a "home court" rim roll!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Nika Muhl was ranked at #31 in 2020. She's certainly worth having on the team. Also we have sometop 10 players throuhg the years who haven't always lived up to high expectations so why not take a chance on a lower ranked player if they see a chemistry fit.
Chemistry is a very important word

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Puff sounds too dainty to me.
Yeah but it's not abt you nor I, we're talking abt teenagers here and they're always tough to figure out...believe me I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom