Princeton Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Princeton Postgame Thread

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The team finished with 1 starter from the Texas game, all those that finished against top competition in a close game would probably normally total 20-25 minutes. So they stuck it out and prevailed. Whew!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As I said. the game analysts were asking the same--several times. No info was given as to why Lou wasn't in the game--she wasn't being attended to by the trainers. The sideline reporter gave no update on Lou... Sorry my clairvoyance wasn't on tonight...
Culmo tends to ramble a bit, and didn't catch when there was a close up of Lou next to CD, they were chatting, and she nodded and motioned down to her lower leg and seemed to indicate she'd be fine. I picked this up streaming the game, but couldn't rewind it, but the hubby saw it also.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There were times late in huddles she was the one talking, she also was noticed correctly where a pass should go. So yes the the zero rebounds and footwork lapses is puzzling, but she hustled.
And she also was shouting out directions on defense to other players, which I thought was a really good sign.

Reaction Score
Where was that energy when she had 2 good games in a row. To me it is a mental thing. She just have to get into game shape and use to the speed and flow of the game again. Confidence is key for her.
Seems more a physical than mental issue with Caroline. Watched her throughout game and she didn't seem to be able to elevate on rebounds or layups. Not setting her feet on 3 pointers. Likely to hear more later.

Reaction Score
Random observations from being at the game:

Watching the team run out on the floor and seeing no Dorka was the first stressful moment of the night. Hardly the last.

We had eight players warming up, Princeton had fourteen available. How do all these other programs have so many players? This seems to be a continuing theme over the last few seasons, we are outnumbered. Fortunately we have fourteen projected for next season.

Aubrey simply took the team on her surgically repaired back tonight. That take to the hoop at the 40 second mark with UConn up two was the play of the game, possibly the season so far. Fearless.

Any doubts about Nika`s importance to this team have been officially laid to rest. The difference with her out there versus not is night and day.

I thought we missed Azzi most when we were in transition in the first half, which was often. Nika would have found her for a few threes and we would have been up by more than twenty at halftime.

Lou was playing great as well although I thought she forced a few shots. I thought when she was on the bench that Geno was giving her a minute or two but knew something was up when she did not come right back in. When the team ran over to high five the front row of the student section after the game, Lou was walking and somewhat gingerly.

The defense in the second quarter was vintage UConn. Holding Princeton to 20 points in the first half was quite an accomplishment.

It took some guts for Ines to hit that second free throw after missing the first. Made it a three point game, and limited Princeton`s options.

Princeton will never have a better chance than it had tonight.

Mateo made the layup, foul shot and three pointer. He continued the extraordinary shooting we have seen during timeouts. Avelo Air now has to take him wherever he wants to go.

Hope Lou and Nika don`t miss much time, that Dorka is back soon, that Azzi is back by early January, and that Caroline can round into shape. That`s not too much to ask, is it?
While like most, I tend to focus on what Huskies could have done better, have to give Coach Berube kudos. Her press forced UConn to throw the ball in to corners and sides easy to double. While UConn had more height and physical presence, Princeton did a good job boxing out. When the pass went into key, DeBerry in particular, side defender anticipated and stole the ball. These tactics and many others did not happen by accident. Understand the many personnel issues UConn had but Berube's coaching focused on every detail of the game. Impressive.

Reaction Score
A fair amount of comments, and rightfully so, about the game being ugly, it was. But ugly, physical basketball is something that Uconn doesn’t want to play and is the formula for beating them. Is there an “uglier” team in terms of style than SC? Going back to Mississippi State, Schaefer teaches, “ugly” ball and it got Uconn very much out of their rhythm.
The fact is, physical ball, sometimes very physical ball, is generally allowed and for the last half decade or so, has eventually bit Uconn in the NCAAs. Coach Dailey alluded to the physical nature of the game when discussing DeBerry a day or so ago. Like it or not, Uconn is going to have to embrace “getting down and dirty in the trenches” and a willingness to play ugly or IMO NCs will continue to prove elusive.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Culmo tends to ramble a bit, and didn't catch when there was a close up of Lou next to CD, they were chatting, and she nodded and motioned down to her lower leg and seemed to indicate she'd be fine. I picked this up streaming the game, but couldn't rewind it, but the hubby saw it also.
And laugh for no reason. She often proclaims a call was right or wrong then when the replay shows her wrong,silence. The TV inexplicably ran a bench shot early of Paige and Azzi while game was going on only switched to the game as the shot was going in.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Last night yes, the naysayers, me including, wish her to be consistently at least 50% of last night. She was benched Las night 2 minutes in she actually mentioned it in the post game interview, then she turned it around. She was great last night as the game became a scramble.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know there was a poster here Griffen's Fr/So years, who has since disappeared, that stated Griffen would be our leading scorer in the future. I said if that happened, UCONN would be in big trouble. Either multiple injuries, multiple transfers or multiple failed recruiting classes. Well I didn't really want to see it play out.....but here we are. Multiple injuries it is. Sometimes it's not much fun being right.

Reaction Score
And laugh for no reason. She often proclaims a call was right or wrong then when the replay shows her wrong,silence. The TV inexplicably ran a bench shot early of Paige and Azzi while game was going on only switched to the game as the shot was going in.
I have posted many times that I don’t watch sports with the sound on, for me, talking heads add nothing to the game. I have however, on occasion, watched replays and sometimes then will add sound. A couple of years ago I commented in a thread about Culmo something to the effect that the only thing I got out of her commentary was that she knew nothing about basketball; and wow, the “don’t say anything bad about Uconn WBB“ crowd let me have it big time. ;):p

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Per Megan Gauer on Twitter Lou had previously had a sore ankle/heel and tweaked it tonight.
so the issue is an ankle, or heel, or 'strained foot'? it's been described three different ways ... and they aren't all the same. that lower appendage is really complex and one of the body's weak links. also one of the most important, especially for an athlete. nika and azzi were seriously diminished because foot problems last year.

learning that lou has had recurring problems with her foot is troubling, and i wonder if caroline's underperformance this year may trace to repeated trauma to the head that happened last year.

i definitely hope that lou''s return to full health will be rapid and thorough, and that caroline simply has to burnish off the rust.

i'm not trying to reignite the HIPPA hoopla and 'it's not any fans' business' brouhaha -- but of course it is something a fan can stew over. people naturally are curious, and justly concerned.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I have posted many times that I don’t watch sports with the sound on, for me, talking heads add nothing to the game. I have however, on occasion, watched replays and sometimes then will add sound. A couple of years ago I commented in a thread about Culmo something to the effect that the only thing I got out of her commentary was that she knew nothing about basketball; and wow, the “don’t say anything bad about Uconn WBB“ crowd let me have it big time. ;):p
Let the dislikes arrive.

Reaction Score
Let the dislikes arrive.
I have gotten more than my share, in some cases, rightfully so; in some cases, not so rightfully so. Some thoughts or player opinions are just not acceptable to some here, but that’s okay…………..

Reaction Score
Seems more a physical than mental issue with Caroline. Watched her throughout game and she didn't seem to be able to elevate on rebounds or layups. Not setting her feet on 3 pointers. Likely to hear more later.
I agree, she seemed a little slow too reacting to things, I think she'll "eventually" get back to normal, hope it's soon

Reaction Score
Wow - we have posters who don't get it. Critical of players who are doing their best. I find some of these posts total in poor taste. Sad commentary.
Some may see comments as "being critical" others may see it as a rational observation not clouded by one's allegiance to a team/player

Reaction Score
Never understood the Culmo criticism. She obviously bleeds UCONN but is fairly neutral with commentary and most of what she says is logical. Most WCBB teams would KILL to have a consistent dedicated announcing team like Bestwick/Culmo calling the majority of their games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Never understood the Culmo criticism. She obviously bleeds UCONN but is fairly neutral with commentary and most of what she says is logical. Most WCBB teams would KILL to have a consistent dedicated announcing team like Bestwick/Culmo calling the majority of their games.
I really like Culmo as an announcer. However I've been begging Aubrey take open three point shots since the seasons beginning after watching her performance on first night. Yesterday was no fluke imo and now more than ever we're going to need that type of production from her until Azzi returns and Caroline gets back to form. I guess it surprised me that Culmo was surprised about it.

Reaction Score
We won and that is the only and most important thing. We are not a very good team without NM and I think that is obvious( considering the other losses we have). She goes out when we are up by 11-12 and we barely cling to a victory. Guards who can handle pressure and get you into your offense are like gold.

Also, do those that ridiculed AG now see that she does have the ability to shoot? She was open as she was against ND, but this time she hit her shots. As I stated before, she can hit shots, although she generally takes a split second more time.

I am more impressed with AG's performance considering the game she had against ND. This kid has some mental toughness to come back from a '0 for everything game' and then hit every shot the next game. Great for her! double double...we don't win unless she dominates and she did.

I said this when AG was a freshman: she has a very nice release on her shot, maybe a bit too much palm but she has a compact stroke that is very consistent that should equate to a higher percentage. She does need a split second extra time...but many players do. Compare that to NM who has a long wind-up stroke that I don't think will ever get better than 35% ish from 3, which is pretty good anyway.

AG will be AA if and when she can shoot at a consistent (not great) level from midrange and 3. I think she will get there eventually. I said the same when she was a freshman. Her form and follow through are too good and teams will let her shoot in large part because she is unproven, and they know AG will beat them to the cup.

Lou is a really good player. She is no point guard but she can stroke it and create too.

AE was a bit disappointing because I was just hoping for more. She just leaves me wanting more....still she was ok.

CD continues to look very slow, this shows up on defense and also on offense--then you see it with the fouls as well. She just looks really bad. Hope she works through it but thus far, she is hurting us with every minute she plays. She is a tick slow anyway...like Lou Samuelson but not giving the offense pwer we hope for.

ok, I feel the love for Amari and I want to share the love also...She was decent. She just doesnt react fast enough and will have issues against skilled, physical players. She is as soft as charmin tissue. That said, she dove for loose balls and gave a good effort. How does she not have a rebound? Anyway, I am pulling for her. 5 TO and 4 fouls against Princeton...not great...

I will just say that Ines had some big time courage to hit FTs at the end. Good on her. But she is not ready to handle quick players, but at least she got some minutes and experience...and she hit her FT!s!! I'm worried about her left hand....looks suspect to me.

Yanana- not sure what is going on here, but maybe GA is not happy with her. Her HS stuff: take it to the rim at 1 foot and lay it in, is not going to work (all the time) at her size. She needs to showcase a midrange and GA should get her a play or two to get this done. Then she can use her quickness to get to the cup.

I'm proud of how tough this team fights. That is a reflection of the coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Princeton game:
  • This is Carla’s 3rd season as HC at Princeton, coming off 2 straight Ivy League championships with her experienced team favored to win another this year. The Tigers are talented, smart and they execute their gameplan well.
  • Much like last season, when injuries and illness plagued UConn, the Huskies are trying to piece it together once again. That was obvious when Amari checked in, 2.5 minutes into the game, and Ines came off the bench in the 3rd qtr.
  • Watching the replay of Nika’s injury, it appeared clear that the knee she caught from Aaliyah as she fell was the worst of it and possibly put her into the concussion protocol. :(
  • Lou was basically the go-to scorer at Fairfield for 4 years. I don’t imagine she ever expected to be the go-to scorer for a fifth straight season at UConn, and then the pg on a team with Paige, Azzi & Nika. I have no idea why Lou was on the bench in the 4th qtr down the stretch???
  • Right now, for this team, with so many players out, Aubrey clearly needs to be that player that put up 30 ppg for Ossining HS and did a little bit of everything. Which is just about what she did tonight.
  • This was the ugliest of ugly games. But somehow it was a win. Not much else to say........
  • MD on Sunday is going to be a much tougher test. Not sure which Huskies will be in uniform, but UConn will need to dig down deep to find a way.
Well I finally got my wish. That was to see how Amari would perform as a regular in a game. Here is how I graded her out:

1. She has a nice soft touch on offense under the hoop. Should be a scoring threat if they can get her the ball.
2. She does not have " good hands." She needs to attack and grab passes directed toward her. She doesn't seem to secure them well and can easily be dislodged of the ball.
3. Passes pretty well. Kick out ( left handed ) pass to Lou in the corner was great. But she needs to be more court aware, so that passes aren't stolen.
4. Showed grit and hustle ( diving for loose balls ).
5. Can do some things defensively ( like block shots ), but she is not a rebounder. Edwards and Aubrey take them all even when Amari is right there.
6. Her basketball IQ is not high at the moment. She is still thinking far too much, slowing down her reactions. And she " telegraphs " her passes. She secured a Princeton turnover in the back court and promptly turned it over on a poor pass to a teammate.
7. I would like to see her try more outside shots ( shot from corner was good and just missed ).
8. She seems to fear dribbling the ball. So she can get in trouble easily.

I wonder what Geno had in mind when he recruited her? She will ( in all likelihood ) never be a post player. So is she to be a 6'5" wing, who drains threes and pull-up jumpers? It is hard to see where she fits, unless she becomes a person with " moves" that can't be covered in the paint area. And that is not what she does at the moment.

So she did all right but the limitations are on display. Hopefully, this game experience will help her a lot.

Reaction Score
I really like Culmo as an announcer. However I've been begging Aubrey take open three point shots since the seasons beginning after watching her performance on first night. Yesterday was no fluke imo and now more than ever we're going to need that type of production from her until Azzi returns and Caroline gets back to form. I guess it surprised me that Culmo was surprised about it.
The surprise came from the ND game, where she couldn't hit a barn. And from her freshman year when she never took an outside shot. Many of us need proof that she really has developed a shot. Princeton sure showed it. But the preceding game had been horrific.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well I finally got my wish. That was to see how Amari would perform as a regular in a game. Here is how I graded her out:

4. Showed grit and hustle ( diving for loose balls ).
That jumped out at me. Seems a little enigmatic. I'd think a 6-5 player who dives after balls on the floor would jump toward rebounds. Although as someone pointed out earlier, she may not read the ball off the rim well.

I also agree with you about her not reacting quickly/overthinking things. She has good ideas passing but too many times she passes when there's no open lane.

I think she has a high ceiling, but she may not reach it till next year or later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if she's pressed into service a lot this year she'll reach her potential sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt has lost four of their starting five to injuries, some season long. UConn is not alone. This season has been tough on a number of teams.
You’re stretching. Vandy didn’t lose two Gatorade National Players of the Year.

Reaction Score
That jumped out at me. Seems a little enigmatic. I'd think a 6-5 player who dives after balls on the floor would jump toward rebounds. Although as someone pointed out earlier, she may not read the ball off the rim well.

I also agree with you about her not reacting quickly/overthinking things. She has good ideas passing but too many times she passes when there's no open lane.

I think she has a high ceiling, but she may not reach it till next year or later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if she's pressed into service a lot this year she'll reach her potential sooner rather than later.
Doesn't Amari have a sight problem in 1 eye? Could it be that anything going to the bad side of her line of vision isn't seen very well? It could explain some of rebounding problems, turnovers, etc. Great players have great court vision. I think you need 2 good eyes for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom