Princeton Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Princeton Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I didn’t have a chance to watch the game tonight. I just looked at the stat sheet and saw Amari played 26 minutes but had 0 rebound! Did I see it right? How is it even possible for a 2rd-year 6’5 player had ZERO rebound in 26 minutes?!

Reaction Score
UCONN escapes LOL - I need a drink!

First and foremost, thoughts and prayers for Nika. Please let it be something minor.

So many thoughts on the game but will try to keep it brief. On the men's side, when a player or team has nerves of ice and plays incredible, it's called ONIONS. This team has ONIONS.

This was not a game where you can spend a lot of time picking on things we did wrong. Turnovers, lack of composure, couldn't break the press, etc. so what? The entire team deserves kudos for the win.

Most importantly was Aubrey. She was sensational. Inez was obviously very emotional towards the end. But clutch. I hope she savors this. Lou was on the bench in crunch time and the announcers worried maybe an injury of some kind. Praying that's not the case. Aaliyah the PG? WOW.

They survived. Kudos to Princeton for throwing everything they could at a seriously depleted team. I worried that with 7 and maybe 6 players, what happens if we foul out? Play with 4? OMG hook me up to my vodka IV LOL.

Great and gutty win.
Indeed! And more, see HuskyNan, etc.

But the one I found most heartening is Ines shooting free throws as the game was ending with all the pressure in the world for her to make them.....and made the last two at the most crucial moment for her. All the "what-do-I-do?" moments before that to protect the lead forgotten.....and instinct, a cool head and steady nerves set in. The youngest of them all, a latecomer to the team, everything new.......

In these slices of time, she has shown that UConn coaches have a good material to turn into a good PG. And, they don't have much time to get it done......

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Random observations from being at the game:

Watching the team run out on the floor and seeing no Dorka was the first stressful moment of the night. Hardly the last.

We had eight players warming up, Princeton had fourteen available. How do all these other programs have so many players? This seems to be a continuing theme over the last few seasons, we are outnumbered. Fortunately we have fourteen projected for next season.

Aubrey simply took the team on her surgically repaired back tonight. That take to the hoop at the 40 second mark with UConn up two was the play of the game, possibly the season so far. Fearless.

Any doubts about Nika`s importance to this team have been officially laid to rest. The difference with her out there versus not is night and day.

I thought we missed Azzi most when we were in transition in the first half, which was often. Nika would have found her for a few threes and we would have been up by more than twenty at halftime.

Lou was playing great as well although I thought she forced a few shots. I thought when she was on the bench that Geno was giving her a minute or two but knew something was up when she did not come right back in. When the team ran over to high five the front row of the student section after the game, Lou was walking and somewhat gingerly.

The defense in the second quarter was vintage UConn. Holding Princeton to 20 points in the first half was quite an accomplishment.

It took some guts for Ines to hit that second free throw after missing the first. Made it a three point game, and limited Princeton`s options.

Princeton will never have a better chance than it had tonight.

Mateo made the layup, foul shot and three pointer. He continued the extraordinary shooting we have seen during timeouts. Avelo Air now has to take him wherever he wants to go.

Hope Lou and Nika don`t miss much time, that Dorka is back soon, that Azzi is back by early January, and that Caroline can round into shape. That`s not too much to ask, is it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching Bueckers, Fudd, Brady, Muhl, Lopez-Senechal and Juhasz on the bench is a modern day tragedy. The ladies on the floor took care of it tonight led by an Aubrey Griffin who is is tired of people mentioning how she had a bad game at Notre Dame. Griffin is the only player they have that can take over the game on offense or defense

Ines looks like she can run point and as a junior, watch out. Deberry looked engaged, she just needs more reps. APV out on Ducharme. Lopez-Senechal gets hers despite injury. Patterson just experienced her first big loss in her hometown. That's tough. Her revenge game against them will be iconic.

Princeton will make some noise in March

Reaction Score
Well, that was interesting... They hung on and won when everything was going to heck in a handbasket.

If the back to back loss happens, it happens. When the team resembles the patients in a MASH unit you take what you can get. I'll take this win and admire what the kids were able to do against an experienced and well coached team. Yeah, it was ugly. Some people grew up a bit today and that bodes well for the future, assuming we get people healthy.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At this point the only plus is still no back to back losses since when? 1993 I think. In any case nearly a forever ago. This injury thing is unreal, Paige, Azzi, Ice, Dorkas, and now maybe Nika. Heck of a starting five.
Vanderbilt has lost four of their starting five to injuries, some season long. UConn is not alone. This season has been tough on a number of teams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I didn’t have a chance to watch the game tonight. I just looked at the stat sheet and saw Amari played 26 minutes but had 0 rebound! Did I see it right? How is it even possible for a 2rd-year 6’5 player had ZERO rebound in 26 minutes?!
And if you read my chat I was bemoaning this all game. Again, something I've complained about for some time, she has the size and strength but seems to lack the knowledge of how to use her body to her advantage. She also reads the shot/ball off the rim poorly, and has good feet but bad footwork on offense and defense. However, this game I saw her hustle more than in any game I've seen her play. If this young woman had AE's motor and moxie she'd be playing significant minutes despite her shortcomings.

Reaction Score
At one point, counting PB, we had Dorka, Lou, Nika, and Azzi out due to injury...that is 5 real starters. Not a good situation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Practiced with Tyler Polley?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Can people please stop bickering over what someone should be thinking?

Boy, the Boneyard can argue over anything.

The "Boneyard"? Heck, go to any other massage board on the net and it's like the wild wild west compared to the Boneyard. The Boneyard is the tamest and most respectful place there is (IMHO). I fall off the wagon too when it comes to etiquette but this is usually a pretty good place to come and have a more relaxing discussion. Well except for the chat room (LOL)

Reaction Score
Wow a real gutty win in my view. Aubrey was exceptional and all others did the best they could. Some players got thrown in the fire and that was good for them. Hope we get well quickly.

Reaction Score
Dumb question probably... I didn't watch the game but saw the box score. When was the last time UCONN had as many as 27 turnovers?

But I know UCONN has so many players out to injury right now but was just curious.
I watched the game. Those turnovers were the results of losing the PG to injury. UConn simply does not have a backup PG with both Nika and Azzi out of the game. Hard to believe but UConn was most successful bring the ball up when AE assumed that duty. That was a really gusty performance by UConn but I fear the PG situation will only get worse until Nika returns, just goes to show the real value a PG brings to the game, sorta like the QB in football.

Reaction Score
Your post is #32 and I haven't read to the end of this thread yet. So, I'm at risk of replying when someone more knowledgeable has already replied (I hate when I do that).

My understanding is that was a covid rule for determining when a game is canceled versus forfeited. I believe if a team as down so many players the game could be canceled, not forfeited. I doubt the rule is in effect now, if it is, it's stupid.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And if you read my chat I was bemoaning this all game. Again, something I've complained about for some time, she has the size and strength but seems to lack the knowledge of how to use her body to her advantage. She also reads the shot/ball off the rim poorly, and has good feet but bad footwork on offense and defense. However, this game I saw her hustle more than in any game I've seen her play. If this young woman had AE's motor and moxie she'd be playing significant minutes despite her shortcomings.
There were times late in huddles she was the one talking, she also was noticed correctly where a pass should go. So yes the the zero rebounds and footwork lapses is puzzling, but she hustled.

Reaction Score
Indeed! And more, see HuskyNan, etc.

But the one I found most heartening is Ines shooting free throws as the game was ending with all the pressure in the world for her to make them.....and made the last two at the most crucial moment for her. All the "what-do-I-do?" moments before that to protect the lead forgotten.....and instinct, a cool head and steady nerves set in. The youngest of them all, a latecomer to the team, everything new.......

In these slices of time, she has shown that UConn coaches have a good material to turn into a good PG. And, they don't have much time to get it done......
Bettencourt will turn out to be a nice player with the playing time she is going to get

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom