Princeton Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Princeton Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Princeton game:
  • This is Carla’s 3rd season as HC at Princeton, coming off 2 straight Ivy League championships with her experienced team favored to win another this year. The Tigers are talented, smart and they execute their gameplan well.
  • Much like last season, when injuries and illness plagued UConn, the Huskies are trying to piece it together once again. That was obvious when Amari checked in, 2.5 minutes into the game, and Ines came off the bench in the 3rd qtr.
  • Watching the replay of Nika’s injury, it appeared clear that the knee she caught from Aaliyah as she fell was the worst of it and possibly put her into the concussion protocol. :(
  • Lou was basically the go-to scorer at Fairfield for 4 years. I don’t imagine she ever expected to be the go-to scorer for a fifth straight season at UConn, and then the pg on a team with Paige, Azzi & Nika. I have no idea why Lou was on the bench in the 4th qtr down the stretch???
  • Right now, for this team, with so many players out, Aubrey clearly needs to be that player that put up 30 ppg for Ossining HS and did a little bit of everything. Which is just about what she did tonight.
  • This was the ugliest of ugly games. But somehow it was a win. Not much else to say........
  • MD on Sunday is going to be a much tougher test. Not sure which Huskies will be in uniform, but UConn will need to dig down deep to find a way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN escapes LOL - I need a drink!

First and foremost, thoughts and prayers for Nika. Please let it be something minor.

So many thoughts on the game but will try to keep it brief. On the men's side, when a player or team has nerves of ice and plays incredible, it's called ONIONS. This team has ONIONS.

This was not a game where you can spend a lot of time picking on things we did wrong. Turnovers, lack of composure, couldn't break the press, etc. so what? The entire team deserves kudos for the win.

Most importantly was Aubrey. She was sensational. Inez was obviously very emotional towards the end. But clutch. I hope she savors this. Lou was on the bench in crunch time and the announcers worried maybe an injury of some kind. Praying that's not the case. Aaliyah the PG? WOW.

They survived. Kudos to Princeton for throwing everything they could at a seriously depleted team. I worried that with 7 and maybe 6 players, what happens if we foul out? Play with 4? OMG hook me up to my vodka IV LOL.

Great and gutty win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dumb question probably... I didn't watch the game but saw the box score. When was the last time UCONN had as many as 27 turnovers?

But I know UCONN has so many players out to injury right now but was just curious.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dumb question probably... I didn't watch the game but saw the box score. When was the last time UCONN had as many as 27 turnovers?

But I know UCONN has so many players out to injury right now but was just curious.
Add Lou and Nika to the injury list. UConn played with one freshman PG and 6 players available in the 4th quarter. That with Ducharme clearly playing injured the entire game.

Reaction Score
Another player down from friendly fire smh ? Are we gonna have enough warm bodies in the next few weeks ? Terrible luck ..

Reaction Score

14 of them were in the fourth quarter. We shot 6-7 from the floor in the fourth with 14 turnovers. That’s on pace for 56 for a full game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Lol thanks for finding such an innocuous way of rubbing it in ...

Reaction Score
Lou mouthed something to CD when Geno finished talking to her. I think she said it twisted, she may have tweaked her ankle

Reaction Score
Crazy game, but once again someone got hurt and everything changed....Lots of hustle and guts, everyone doing what they could. We might have dodged the bullet on this one.

Reaction Score
I go to most of the Columbia women's games so follow the league quite a bit and always make sure to see Princeton in person and they are, obviously, legit. Columbia is damn tough too this year and last year their only conference losses were to Princeton so hoping it's the Lions' season this year. But not surprised at all to see Princeton take this down to the wire, especially of course with the lineup UCONN had for the end of the game. UCONN has a Final Four lineup now sitting out so it's going to be a struggle, so good win to keep the streak alive. Maryland could be ugly but like last year, the experience gained by folks who will be in positions they're not used to should pay off down the line...if the team health improves.

Reaction Score
Game tape you really never want to have to revisit. Somehow they escaped.

First, thoughts with Nika. Hopefully she is doing well, tough to see yet another player go down. And hope Lou is ok, have to assume something was up, causing her to sit the closing minutes.

Aubrey was great, what a nice bounce back game for her. The absence of Azzi was really felt, even when Muhl was on the court. The spacing on the court just looked pretty awful to me most of the game. Not only does her absence send her scoring to the bench, but really affects the number of opportunities our other players get.

In the end, we won, playing some really inexperienced players, a player who is clearly not back to 100% health, and a savior transfer. I'll take it.

If Muhl is out, Maryland could get UGLY. Won't worry about that one just yet though!

Reaction Score
At this point the only plus is still no back to back losses since when? 1993 I think. In any case nearly a forever ago. This injury thing is unreal, Paige, Azzi, Ice, Dorkas, and now maybe Nika. Heck of a starting five.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Geno talks about having unfair scrimmage rules in practice to make his players adapt. Tonight, those lessons were learned.

I am sure there is a reason, but sitting Lou at the end was odd.

Ines made some mistakes but seemed to handle the pressure at the end

Aubrey was fabulous. Of course, it fun to cheer for someone who has gone through as much as she has gone through.

They could be patient with Caroline with a fuller roster. With Azzi gone, she has to quickly show a resemblance of the freshman Caroline. She s seemingly forcing things.

Amari DeBerry wasn’t great but she was certainly acceptable in a big role.

The turnover amount was high because Princeton was anticipating the over the top pass. Have to ball fake there. Plus, those lobs to the post have to stop.

Nika getting hurt was almost the difference in the game.

My opinion of Carla has not changed. She is really good.

Reaction Score
At this point the only plus is still no back to back losses since when? 1993 I think. In any case nearly a forever ago. This injury thing is unreal, Paige, Azzi, Ice, Dorkas, and now maybe Nika. Heck of a starting five.
And Lou. I'm guessing she sat at the end because she was hurt.

Reaction Score
The Gods were on Uconn's side tonight as with 27 turnovers it's a miracle that Uconn won. BUT, a win is a win and I'll take them anyway I can. GO HUSKIES!!!
They lost two starters in the middle of the game. The Gods were not on their side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom