Predictions - 2020/2021 All Big East Selections | The Boneyard

Predictions - 2020/2021 All Big East Selections

Reaction Score
With the end of the 2020/2021 Season approaching, how about predicting the 2020/2021 All Big East Team:

Here are my selections (What are yours for each Individual and Team Honors??)

BIG EAST Player of the Year
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr.,G

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr G

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Anthony Bozzella, Seton Hall

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
Olivia Nelson Ododa, Connecticut, Jr., F

BIG EAST Most Improved Player
Desiree Elmore, Seton Hall, Sr., F

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Evina Westbrook, Connecticut, Jr., G

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award
Aaliyah Edwards, Connecticut, Fr., F

All-BIG EAST First Team
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr., G
Selena Lott, Marquette, Sr., G
Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Seton Hall, Sr., G*
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, R-So., F
Sonya Morris, DePaul, Jr., G

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Christyn Williaims, Connecticut Jr., G
Camryn Taylor, Marquette, So., F
Lexi Held, DePaul, Jr., G
Leilani Correa, St. John's, So., G

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Lauren Park Lane - Seton Hall So. G
Temi Carda, Creighton, Sr., G
Jillian Archer - Georgetown, So. F
A'riana Gray, Xavier, Sr., F

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr. G
Nia Clark, Xavier, Fr. G
Emma Rosinek Creighton, Fr. G
Darrione Rogers, DePaul, Fr. F

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I think Geno should be coach of the Year for doing what he has done with such a young team.

Uconn would clobber an "everybody else" Big East all star team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think ONO jumps to 2nd team over Taylor. ONO's conference stats are a lot stronger across the board:

ONO: 14.5 points, 7.3 rebounds, 66.7% FG, 2.6 assists, 1.5 blocks
Taylor: 11 points, 6.9 rebounds, 52.4% FG, 2.1 assists, 0.5 blocks

Reaction Score
I know this wont happen but really Paige, Christyn and Olivia all should be on the first team.
I know since all 3 are UCONN players this wont happen.
However, is there really any real doubt that if you had to pick the 3 best players in the league, regardless of team affiliation, that you wouldn't pick these 3 in that order. I'd even put our Canadian freshman, Edwards as 4th. then probably Westbrook 5th.
Hunter from Seton Hall is talented but a little too one dimensional offense-only talent for me for her to crack this top 5.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your choices. I would have put Lexi Held on first team and AEH on the second team mostly because she wasn't eligible for the first half of the season which I know was not her fault. Others have mentioned switching Liv and CW. I could support it either way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No Love for Grandma Lauren Van Kleunen Marquette.

She was very tough against UConn and DePaul for example.

More pts pg than Taylor although less rebounds

Reaction Score
With the end of the 2020/2021 Season approaching, how about predicting the 2020/2021 All Big East Team:

Here are my selections (What are yours for each Individual and Team Honors??)

BIG EAST Player of the Year
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr.,G

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr G

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Anthony Bozzella, Seton Hall

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year

BIG EAST Most Improved Player

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Evina Westbrook, Connecticut, Jr., G

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award

All-BIG EAST First Team
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr., G
Selena Lott, Marquette, Sr., G
Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Seton Hall, Sr., G*
Maddy Siegrist, Villanova, R-So., F
Sonya Morris, DePaul, Jr., G

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Christyn Williaims, Connecticut Jr., G
Camryn Taylor, Marquette, So., F
Lexi Held, DePaul, Jr., G
Leilani Correa, St. John's, So., G

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Lauren Park Lane - Seton Hall So. G
Temi Carda, Creighton, Sr., G
Jillian Archer - Georgetown, So. F
A'riana Gray, Xavier, Sr., F

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Paige Bueckers, Connecticut, Fr. G
Nia Clark, Xavier, Fr. G
Emma Rosinek Creighton, Fr. G
Darrione Rogers, DePaul, Fr. F
Seriously? UCONN’s starting 5 is your starting 5 BE team. And the other two, AE and AG would be 2nd team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know this wont happen but really Paige, Christyn and Olivia all should be on the first team.
However, is there really any real doubt that if you had to pick the 3 best players in the league, regardless of team affiliation, that you wouldn't pick these 3 in that order. I'd even put our Canadian freshman, Edwards as 4th. then probably Westbrook 5th.
Hunter from Seton Hall is talented but a little too one dimensional offense-only talent for me for her to crack this top 5.
This is exactly what pisses me off on the national awards (not what you said, but the reality). If Christyn was the star player on any other big east team, she'd be putting up monster numbers. So do you vote for the best players, or the players with the best numbers?

What bugs me (not to hijack the thread), is... why is Boston being touted as not only 1st team AA, but possible NPOY candidate? Her NUMBERS put her no better than honorable mention, but people wet themselves over her because she's on a top team and CAN be dominant. She doesn't even have the best numbers on her own team.

So back to the BE - clearly if the awards roll out as were predicted, Olivia and Christyn are being judged on their NUMBERS, not on how good they are. IMHO can't have it both ways. National awards should NOT be based on how "good" anyone is. It's why I think players like Anastasia Hayes and Kiersten Bell should be considered near the top for national recognition. Obviously just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What pisses me off (not to hijack the thread), why is Boston being touted as not only 1st team AA, but possible NPOY candidate? Her NUMBERS put her no better than honorable mention, but people wet themselves over her because she's on a top team and CAN be dominant. She doesn't even have the best numbers on her own team.

Agreed, and as a big she isn't even shooting 50% from the field. That to me should take her out of even honorable mention consideration. She hasn't lived up to the hype consistently this season. But I'm sure she'll get some award.

Reaction Score

Andra Espinoza Hunter is presently 3rd in the conference in scoring average, just being Paige and Siegrist. She is also 14th in Rebounding, 7th in Free Throw Percentage, 14th in Steals, 5th in 3 Point Percentage 1st in 3 Point Field Goals Made, 7th in Defensive Rebounds, and 2nd in Total Minutes Played (given that she started at Seton Hall later in the season). I think that warrants a 1st Team All Big East selection (although I am bias)

Reaction Score
This is exactly what pisses me off on the national awards (not what you said, but the reality). If Christyn was the star player on any other big east team, she'd be putting up monster numbers. So do you vote for the best players, or the players with the best numbers?

What pisses me off (not to hijack the thread), why is Boston being touted as not only 1st team AA, but possible NPOY candidate? Her NUMBERS put her no better than honorable mention, but people wet themselves over her because she's on a top team and CAN be dominant. She doesn't even have the best numbers on her own team.

So back to the BE - clearly if the awards roll out as were predicted, Olivia and Christyn are being judged on their NUMBERS, not on how good they are. IMHO can't have it both ways. National awards should NOT be based on how "good" anyone is. It's why I think players like Anastasia Hayes and Kiersten Bell should be considered near the top for national recognition. Obviously just my opinion.
Have to disagree. National awards should be based on how good the player is. Statistics are not necessarily a fair judge of talent. For example, a volume scorer scores more points but doesn’t necessarily make a team better than a player that shoots less but contributes more to a team’s success. I guess I believe value to a team’s success should be of the highest importance.

Reaction Score
Andra Espinoza Hunter is presently 3rd in the conference in scoring average, just being Paige and Siegrist. She is also 14th in Rebounding, 7th in Free Throw Percentage, 14th in Steals, 5th in 3 Point Percentage 1st in 3 Point Field Goals Made, 7th in Defensive Rebounds, and 2nd in Total Minutes Played (given that she started at Seton Hall later in the season). I think that warrants a 1st Team All Big East selection (although I am bias)
Another example of why stats are often overrated. I am glad AEH has found success, but does that make her a better player than Olivia or CW?

Reaction Score

What bugs me (not to hijack the thread), is... why is Boston being touted as not only 1st team AA, but possible NPOY candidate? Her NUMBERS put her no better than honorable mention, but people wet themselves over her because she's on a top team and CAN be dominant. She doesn't even have the best numbers on her own team.

Bruh-this is the type of energy I need one our calls. @CamrnCrz1974

Reaction Score
I think ONO jumps to 2nd team over Taylor. ONO's conference stats are a lot stronger across the board:

ONO: 14.5 points, 7.3 rebounds, 66.7% FG, 2.6 assists, 1.5 blocks
Taylor: 11 points, 6.9 rebounds, 52.4% FG, 2.1 assists, 0.5 blocks
I think Liv is definitely 1st-team!

Reaction Score

Impact on the game! Impact on the game!
When the players sign with UConn they know as the pen hits the paper that it's going to mean loss of some individual awards. They got an award after the Creighton game, BE Champions. They are the only ones on these lists that get that. Maybe more banners to come.
If it's close, give it to a player from another team. You've got to spread the wealth with conference awards, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom