Predicting the teams that will snap NCAA Tournament droughts | The Boneyard

Predicting the teams that will snap NCAA Tournament droughts

Reaction Score
Rutgers hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 29 years? Are there any other major conference teams with a longer drought?

So which teams that have been absent from the NCAA Tournament for three years or longer are the best bets to get back in the field this season? Our team of writers weighed in for this week's Dribble Handoff.

UConn's posted losing records in three of its last four seasons, a far cry from the powerhouse of old that once won three NCAA Tournaments in a span of 10 years. But Dan Hurley's got the Huskies trending upwards in 2020 thanks to the return of James Bouknight, and optimism abounds that in a return to the Big East, they can get back to their winning ways. UConn did lose its leading scorer from a season ago but it gets back its second- and third-leading scorers while adding highly-touted transfer R.J. Cole, who last averaged 21.4 points per game at Howard two seasons ago, to the fold. -- Kyle Boone

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I always wonder about a team like Oregon State, when’s the last time they were relevant? It’s so crazy to be a major conference team like that with just zero chance of being good and relevant.

Reaction Score
Remarkable that any team in the major six hoops leagues could go so long without stumbling into a tournament berth. Northwestern of the Big Ten getting their only NCAA appearance in 2017 was incomprehensible—the program began prior to the 1903-1904 season...

Reaction Score
Rutgers hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in 29 years? Are there any other major conference teams with a longer drought?

So which teams that have been absent from the NCAA Tournament for three years or longer are the best bets to get back in the field this season? Our team of writers weighed in for this week's Dribble Handoff.

UConn's posted losing records in three of its last four seasons, a far cry from the powerhouse of old that once won three NCAA Tournaments in a span of 10 years. But Dan Hurley's got the Huskies trending upwards in 2020 thanks to the return of James Bouknight, and optimism abounds that in a return to the Big East, they can get back to their winning ways. UConn did lose its leading scorer from a season ago but it gets back its second- and third-leading scorers while adding highly-touted transfer R.J. Cole, who last averaged 21.4 points per game at Howard two seasons ago, to the fold. -- Kyle Boone

Stanford mentioned as well, I’ll be watching them closely. They’ve got some talent on that squad and I’m hoping they make the tourney this year. I’ve heard from multiple people that Jaiden Delaire, local kid and former top 100 player, had a great summer and should be primed for a breakout season.

Reaction Score
I always wonder about a team like Oregon State, when’s the last time they were relevant? It’s so crazy to be a major conference team like that with just zero chance of being good and relevant.

You're not old enough my friend. Steve "Big Tush" Johnson and crew were a number one seed in 80 or 81 I think.

Reaction Score
As irrelevant as Oregon State has been they did make the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and lost in the first round to VCU. Rutgers 29 year drought is 25 more years than Oregon State.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'd love to see DePaul do well for Coach Dave

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Stanford mentioned as well, I’ll be watching them closely. They’ve got some talent on that squad and I’m hoping they make the tourney this year. I’ve heard from multiple people that Jaiden Delaire, local kid and former top 100 player, had a great summer and should be primed for a breakout season.

That Silva kid they have at PG coming in is really nice, I love that Stanford is getting back to being good again.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As irrelevant as Oregon State has been they did make the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and lost in the first round to VCU. Rutgers 29 year drought is 25 more years than Oregon State.

Yeah I thought they snuck one in sometime recently, but that kinda is my point - no one even remembers or cares. If I were naming Pac12 schools I'd say "Oregon" which naturally follows up with "Oregon State" otherwise I'd forget they were a program. Rutgers' 29 year drought is nothing to sneeze at, especially given they are located in NJ.

They were the program that stood out in this example because of that - they just have very little relevance. Rutgers, Depaul, BC they still get talked about to a degree. Oregon State is just off the grid, lol.

They had 3 appearances in 80-82, all later vacated. They then had multiple appearances in the late 80s, last one in 1990, a couple times as 5 and 6 seeds, and they lost in the first round EVERY TIME. Then they went in 2016 and lost in the first round. I mean, that is putrid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom