Pratt & Whitney Excess Acreage To Be Listed (Updated) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Pratt & Whitney Excess Acreage To Be Listed (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Am I reading this right?

You want to build a tunnel from Connecticut to New Jersey?
… That runs through Long Island

CL82

Reaction Score
By definition, any highway that passes through an urban center will "split" a city. The placement of those highways were a matter of public debate concerning a multitude of issues. To assert that I-84 was built where it is on racial grounds is an allegation that requires proof. My recollection is that highway construction in the area was more a product of economics with little forethought given to future trends. Who in their right mind would recommend putting I-91 along the river thereby cutting off the downtown from one of its most valuable areas for commercial development. Imagine all the restaurants and entertainment venues that got squashed by lousy planning. The question is whether spending billions now to reroute major highways rather than expanding them would be the best use of the available funds.
You realize you’re having a debate with yourself, right? Because you’re struggling to disprove things that I didn’t say.

CL82

Reaction Score
How else are we supposed to recruit NJ?
And Mr. and Mrs. “X” you can take the tunnel right through Long Island and on up the Storrs. Easy Peezy.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that Bridgeport to Long Island to New Jersey tunnel just seems logistically pretty challenging. If you want to bypass NYC, why not just take the Tappan Zee and then 287?
Building a tunnel under water bodies is pretty standard these days with massive boring machines.

Reaction Score
really ... you want to re-litigate whether Robert Moses was racist?

You are somehow offended when anyone - with ample fact or universal historical narrative - labels anyone with that tag? I guess I am old enough for a bunch of Caro's extraordinarily well researched chapters to have resonance. I understand the pure malevolent force which was Moses. Like anything ... I am in awe of his achievement in wielding political power and getting infrastructure completed. But the height of bridges is a relatively innocuous point. Contrast that with the Cross Bronx.

Having said that ... the expressway through Rye via Playland Parkway was a huge middle finger to the wealthy elites. And politically resonant to this day in Westchester.

Reaction Score
Am I reading this right?

You want to build a tunnel from Connecticut to New Jersey?
10 miles from New Haven to LI across the water. The 2 Miles or so from LI to NJ. Its really not that technically difficult. Expensive but it would be repaid with tolls. If you're a trucker there are enormous economic savings in fuel and road time. Probably worth $80 each way for a truck.

Reaction Score
And the estate taxes are higher, gas taxes are higher, and there is more onerous business regulation. However, our schools are better, our medical care is generally better, and there are 4 seasons if you like that. It’s a great place to live if you can afford it.
A lot of people that can afford it are actually leaving the northeast. I think someone like Cathie Wood can live anywhere yet she is moving Ark investment to fla

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Fairfield Train Station was built in the 1890s. At the time it was built, it took LESS time to take a train from Fairfield to Grand Central then it takes. today. Other than Northeastern U.S. infrastructure, is there anything in the world that hasn't been improved over the last 125 years?
Yes. Many, many things.

In fairness, that 1890s train had no heat, no bathroom and no bar car . So was it REALLY better?

CL82

Reaction Score
Building a tunnel under water bodies is pretty standard these days with massive boring machines.
I think the issue is less technology and more geography. Take out a map and try to draw your route on it.
Went the Tap the other day.., was an utter nightmare on 287.
I go that way fairly frequently and rarely have a significant problem. Now Southwestern Connecticut, that’s a whole different kettle of fish.
10 miles from New Haven to LI across the water. The 2 Miles or so from LI to NJ. Its really not that technically difficult. Expensive but it would be repaid with tolls. If you're a trucker there are enormous economic savings in fuel and road time. Probably worth $80 each way for a truck.
Unless you are going to use the Long Island Expressway to connect the two tunnels I don’t think that actually works. If you are planning to use the Long Island Expressway to connect the two tunnels, is it really going to save you any time. It’s notorious for back ups.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LOL at people thinking driving through LI to anywhere is a next gain in time.

FWIW, a tunnel under LI Sound is technically and environmentally problematic if you care about such things.

It would also never happen. Flying cars would come first.

Reaction Score
The Fairfield Train Station was built in the 1890s. At the time it was built, it took LESS time to take a train from Fairfield to Grand Central then it takes. today. Other than Northeastern U.S. infrastructure, is there anything in the world that hasn't been improved over the last 125 years?
Massachusetts has surpassed CT in most things over the past 20+ years including the inferiority and inefficiency of its transportation. Yes we got a highway under the city and massively improved traffic to the airport, but the commuter rail lines here take just as long at CT/Metro North yet are half the distances. I live 30 miles from Boston, but trains take 50 minutes. Somehow everything here evolved from the T model of stops every 300 yards. There are rarely express trains and we never, ever had bar cars or vendors selling beverages outside of the trains. Grand Central service still blows away MA trains.

Reaction Score
A lot of people that can afford it are actually leaving the northeast. I think someone like Cathie Wood can live anywhere yet she is moving Ark investment to fla

Cathie lives in my town and has for a long time. I’m not sure how much longer she will run the business as she is 66. In any case, with the new work from anywhere model, why stay here and pay the tax bill? I think she is brilliant. She called Amazon very, very early and was laughed at. Good for her!

Reaction Score

Your comment, which I’ve heard before, made me wonder how many stops the train had to make in 1890 along the way. I have no idea. It Is crazy.

Reaction Score
Cathie lives in my town and has for a long time. I’m not sure how much longer she will run the business as she is 66. In any case, with the new work from anywhere model, why stay here and pay the tax bill? I think she is brilliant. She called Amazon very, very early and was laughed at. Good for her!
I sold Amzn @ 45…but i bought at 25. Lol. Not as smart as her.

Reaction Score

I am the Drum Major for ... the movement to dissuade people from moving to Florida. Or Texas. New Hampshire actually has a better tax structure - no sales tax; no income tax; better estate tax + moving funds through to family. Buy a big coastal house from Portsmouth to the Maine border. Or North Conway.

Reaction Score
I am the Drum Major for ... the movement to dissuade people from moving to Florida. Or Texas. New Hampshire actually has a better tax structure - no sales tax; no income tax; better estate tax + moving funds through to family. Buy a big coastal house from Portsmouth to the Maine border. Or North Conway.
NH taxes business owners at 10%. At least it did when I checked. If I was a W2 it would have been a possible destination. Not sure how they tax retirement

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Just another, “We think we’re smarter than we are.”, CT moment.
Underrated, accurate comment

the Q

Reaction Score

But the property taxes are brutal.

Rich people can afford the complex estate planning to offset the difference

Reaction Score

Yeah, retiring and dieing at my house in VT makes little sense compared to doing so in NH.

the Q

Reaction Score
Connecticut is so backward in regards to growth. I grew up in Barkhamsted and the people up there still fight any type of growth economically, like it is just going to magically appear without any give and take. Even eco-tourism with the Farmington River and trails. So many people are stuck in the past. I agree though Skiblets, if we are hitching our wagon to In-N-Out Burgers coming Connecticut will never move forward.

Dude, I grew up in a town that legit has 3 stoplights that are not highway related.

They have fought tooth and nail even now to not allow even a single drive thru in town. It is wild.

the Q

Reaction Score
I didn’t say that 84 was built “on racial grounds“. What I did say is that it’s impact is greater on minorities (due to the racial composition of Hartford vs the burbs).

I didn’t write the infrastructure bill, nor did I vote it into law, but if it is looking to address racial in equities in infrastructure, Hartford squarely meets that definition and the state should seek out and gain funding for remediating that issue (aka I-84 big dig.)

Connecticut taxpayers pay their share of taxes, and then some. This is one of those instances where we are entitled to get some money back. It would be foolish not to take advantage of that. If you have a minute, drop your senators and congressmen an email to let them know that.

I’m confused. How are we getting money back?

Reaction Score
But the property taxes are brutal.

Rich people can afford the complex estate planning to offset the difference
Property taxes aren‘t brutal in NH (relative to Massachusetts) if you own a house in a predominantly second home community. Thus, the school age population is small relative to the number of homes in the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom