POY thoughts | The Boneyard

POY thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What is UConn played an OOC schedule of teams ranked over 150 and Breanna and KML took 30 plus shots a game. See Chiney and Sims and MDs Thomas are the go to players on their team. They have the red light to score. They score a lot against weak teams and some pretty good teams. They're good players but theyre not necessarily good team players. See right now I would take MoJeff as my point guard over Sims. Sims is a great talented player but she doesn't get her team mates involved enough. Stanford is always looking for Chiney and plays are set up for her to score. Breanna and KML don't have that luxury and that's probably why they will lead their team to more NCs.

Hey don't get me wrong they're all great players. However under different circumstances they might not be the same. No doubt Breanna has more talent and is unstoppable. All the rest are stoppable. KML when healthy is the most unbelievable scorer Ive seen and more importantly most consistent. But the disadvantage both Breanna and KML have is they play team ball and get their points from within the flow of the game. JMO

Reaction Score
What is UConn played an OOC schedule of teams ranked over 150 and Breanna and KML took 30 plus shots a game. See Chiney and Sims and MDs Thomas are the go to players on their team. They have the red light to score. They score a lot against weak teams and some pretty good teams. They're good players but theyre not necessarily good team players. See right now I would take MoJeff as my point guard over Sims. Sims is a great talented player but she doesn't get her team mates involved enough. Stanford is always looking for Chiney and plays are set up for her to score. Breanna and KML don't have that luxury and that's probably why they will lead their team to more NCs.

Hey don't get me wrong they're all great players. However under different circumstances they might not be the same. No doubt Breanna has more talent and is unstoppable. All the rest are stoppable. KML when healthy is the most unbelievable scorer Ive seen and more importantly most consistent. But the disadvantage both Breanna and KML have is they play team ball and get their points from within the flow of the game. JMO

Sims doesn't have teammates the caliber of the ones Jefferson has. It is a lot easier getting players who can score like Stewart, KML, Dolson and Hartley involved and it sure takes the pressure of having to be the go to player off you when you have teammates like that. Chiney has a bit more talent surrounding her than Sims, but she is the best player on her team and Tara designs the plays to take advantage of that fact. That being said, I think Stewart is the best player in WCBB and I would cast my vote for her as POY. Sims would be my second choice as she has taken her team on her back and she had to adjust to being the go to player and running a much different offense with Griner graduated.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sims doesn't have teammates the caliber of the ones Jefferson has. It is a lot easier getting players who can score like Stewart, KML, Dolson and Hartley involved and it sure takes the pressure of having to be the go to player off you when you have teammates like that. Chiney has a bit more talent surrounding her than Sims, but she is the best player on her team and Tara designs the plays to take advantage of that fact. That being said, I think Stewart is the best player in WCBB and I would cast my vote for her as POY. Sims would be my second choice as she has taken her team on her back and she had to adjust to being the go to player and running a much different offense with Griner graduated.
Maybe so, but in the second half of the UCONN game Baylor played CT tighter than in the first half when Sims tried to do it all. She has a bad tendency to distrust her teammates which against UCONN proved to be exactly the wrong thing.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
For the season, Chiney is shooting 64.5% from the field. Does that sound like someone who doesn't play team ball? She shoots for a very high percentage and goes within the offensive flow. Why wouldn't any coach use a player like this as much as possible? There isn't another All-Amerucan on the roster and you work with what you have.

Obviously, you are a UConn fan. But you don't follow Stanford very closely, otherwise you would know that labeling Chiney as someone who doesn't play team ball is just false. It's insulting, to be frank.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tony, don't you mean the green light to score, not the red light.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tony - that is the eternal question regarding Uconn players - they almost never lead the country in statistical categories because the system they play under is designed to involve the whole team. The team may lead in shooting percentage, assists, scoring margin, blocks, etc, but the numbers get spread among all the players rather than be dominated by one. And we are very fortunate to follow such a team. Even the greatest players in Uconn history never put up eye-popping individual numbers - only 5 players in history have average more than 20 points/game in a season with the record being Maya at 22.8.
So when Uconn players do win POY awards it is generally for their and the teams body of work and not for the specific statistics they have put up. I think Stewart is probably the best player in the country, she is certainly the least guard-able. But I suspect the award will go to Chiney this year. Sims is another possible, but I think she hurt herself the last two games, and with the 'attitude' issues that were caught on national TV. I suspect Stanford will also end with a better record than Baylor and will at least get as far if not farther than Baylor in the NCAAs.
I never get that worried about the awards - as Geno says, wins and loses you can control, votes are other peoples opinions.

Reaction Score
For the season, Chiney is shooting 64.5% from the field. Does that sound like someone who doesn't play team ball? She shoots for a very high percentage and goes within the offensive flow. Why wouldn't any coach use a player like this as much as possible? There isn't another All-American on the roster and you work with what you have.

Obviously, you are a UConn fan. But you don't follow Stanford very closely, otherwise you would know that labeling Chiney as someone who doesn't play team ball is just false. It's insulting, to be frank.

agree. And she is being doubled and tripled team. Stanford is also averaging 7.2 three pointers per game, hardly an one woman show. See Chiney's national stats:

Year Category Rank Actual National Leader Actual
2013-14 Points Per Game 3 27.1 Odyssey Sims , Baylor 31.1
2013-14 Rebounds Per Game 9 11.8 Jillian Alleyne , Oregon 14.7
2013-14 Field-Goal Percentage 2 64.1 Markeisha Gatling , N.C.St 69.1
2013-14 Final Points 3 461.0 Odyssey Sims , Baylor 528.0
2013-14 Double Doubles 12 12.0 Alyssa Thomas , Md. 15.0

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The person who deserves POY is Stef because everything we see and know about the team this year reflects whom she was, is and has become. She has paid the price every year to grow and perfect her game by an order of magnitude. Think of that freshman center who had great hands, solid footwork, and made great passes. Today she rebounds in pursuit of the ball, sets more screens than any player in the nation, scores with both hands and from ANY distance and can get out and finish the break and is the only post in the country through whom the entire offense can be and is run. Plus she is a dominant presence as a team leader. She is our Point Center. She, also, leads cheers and cooks the team meals while doing the laundry and checking everyone's homework assignments and spots RMR directing therapy. That is the real POY Big Mama Stef.

P.S. If you need your socks darned leave them at the end of the bench, they will ready ready in the morning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think of this year's POY sweepstakes this way. Maya Moore could have won 3 POY's in a row, except Tina Charles won it with her exceptional senior season. While Stewart is deserving, both Ogwumike and Sims are having outstanding years and carrying their teams on their shoulders to victories. I expect those two to remain the clear favorites. It's a long way off until the end of the season, but if the vote is closely split, Stewart just might win the award.

Reaction Score
The person who deserves POY is Stef because everything we see and know about the team this year reflects whom she was, is and has become. She has paid the price every year to grow and perfect her game by an order of magnitude. Think of that freshman center who had great hands, solid footwork, and made great passes. Today she rebounds in pursuit of the ball, sets more screens than any player in the nation, scores with both hands and from ANY distance and can get out and finish the break and is the only post in the country through whom the entire offense can be and is run. Plus she is a dominant presence as a team leader. She is our Point Center. She, also, leads cheers and cooks the team meals while doing the laundry and checking everyone's homework assignments and spots RMR directing therapy. That is the POY Big Mama Stef.

P.S. If you need your socks darned leave them at the end of the bench, they will ready ready in the morning.
Absolutely. I can't imagine that she will actually win the award, but I also can't imagine anyone in the nation more deserving.

Reaction Score
I would much rather have a National Championship than the POY !

Perhaps we can duplicate lat year with another Nat Champ. and a MOP in the NCAA Tourney.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think of this year's POY sweepstakes this way. Maya Moore could have won 3 POY's in a row, except Tina Charles won it with her exceptional senior season. While Stewart is deserving, both Ogwumike and Sims are having outstanding years and carrying their teams on their shoulders to victories. I expect those two to remain the clear favorites. It's a long way off until the end of the season, but if the vote is closely split, Stewart just might win the award.
Just a minor clarification - they split POY awards Tina's senior and Maya's junior year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
For the season, Chiney is shooting 64.5% from the field. Does that sound like someone who doesn't play team ball? She shoots for a very high percentage and goes within the offensive flow. Why wouldn't any coach use a player like this as much as possible? There isn't another All-Amerucan on the roster and you work with what you have.

But 10 of Chiney's teammates are shooting the 3 better than her abysmal 28.6%, her A\TO ratio is around blah 0.8, and she averages less than 2 assists per game. Is the the 2014 POY? I couldn't go on and on about her weak stats.

Actually, Chiney does look like she should and will win the POY in a landslide as she is easily the best and most complete mainly featured player on a team in the country. And if she goes 1-1 on 3s in her next game, she'll be up to a very decent 37.5%, though obviously with that 65% FG average on 2-pt shots it's silly to think of taking a 3 very often.

Reaction Score
The person who deserves POY is Stef because everything we see and know about the team this year reflects whom she was, is and has become. She has paid the price every year to grow and perfect her game by an order of magnitude. Think of that freshman center who had great hands, solid footwork, and made great passes. Today she rebounds in pursuit of the ball, sets more screens than any player in the nation, scores with both hands and from ANY distance and can get out and finish the break and is the only post in the country through whom the entire offense can be and is run. Plus she is a dominant presence as a team leader. She is our Point Center. She, also, leads cheers and cooks the team meals while doing the laundry and checking everyone's homework assignments and spots RMR directing therapy. That is the real POY Big Mama Stef.

I could not agree with you more, except the RMR part..... I don't know what that is. Stef is the heart and brain of the team. She is UCONN's POY.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
He's thinking about a different red light. One you aren't supposed to know much about.
LOL I guess I would score better at the red light. LOL

Reaction Score
I could not agree with you more, except the RMR part..... I don't know what that is. Stef is the heart and brain of the team. She is UCONN's POY.
That's RoseMary Ragle, reno tony. I'm with Ice on the POY--Big Mama Stef is the one!!
stefforpoy.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
That's RoseMary Ragle, reno tony. I'm with Ice on the POY--Big Mama Stef is the one!!
stefforpoy.jpg
Very good point. Stef could make a lot of teams better. She's like a good point guard. I guess we have a point guard center the 1st in WCBB. She makes plays, good passing and makes those around her better. The offense starts with Stef.

Reaction Score
With four players on UConn seemingly derservid of the POY award, perhaps it should go to Geno. I kinda think coaches are not allowed to win it, but seems to me that he's actually the one behind this whole discussion about which UConn player deserves it more. By the way, it also seems to me that there are no other players in the country that play at the level of these UConn players. I also think that the ratings should be UConn 1, then the next team should start at 5. Skip two through 4 altogether. Neither UT or ND played a game that UConn will not destroy yesterday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sims doesn't have teammates the caliber of the ones Jefferson has...

Maybe not, but she ain't playing with chopped liver. Compare her approach with Taurasi's after the TASSK force graduated. That was a POY for you. There is a fine line between "trying to do to much" and "selfish gunner" and I thought Sims crossed it.

Reaction Score
Barring injury, I do expect Bonn_Bonn to be the MOP in the NCAAs. The rest of the country just isn't ready for what she's becoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom