4d. Kentucky
8a. Ole Miss
8b. Alabama
10. Miss St
11. TAMU
12. Vandy
13. Auburn
14. Mizzou
Btw, the ties are totally cool whether you are using it as a placeholder to rank the teams separately prior to the season's start or not. If you leave it, it is like predicting that all 4 of your 4-way tie for 4th teams will finish in a 2-way tie for 5th, which isn't necessarily a bad hedge.

Reaction Score
1. SC
2. LSU
3. UGA
4. FL
5. TN
6. MISS ST
7.ARK
8.TAMU
The teams above will make the tournament
9. KY
10. Ole Miss
11. ALA
12. Mizzou
13. Vandy
14. Auburn
The 1st person who has MSU above what I anticipate to be the consensus (including the SEC coaches and media pre-season poll), like I will have next week. I'm sure that your 5th place pick (I completely understand some of your reasons for it, but won't join you) will be controversial to some.

Reaction Score
5. TN
vector-icons-fishing-hook-and-line-vector-id489838986

Reaction Score
Oh boy. I actually looked up rosters last night. Everybody but UCLA is updated. I think most of the teams have more questions than answers at this point. Can I wait til the deadline to answer...and then maybe wait another month or two?

For now:

#1 Stanford
#2-12 the other teams; maybe I'll go out on a limb and pick Arizona St. for the cellar, they only have 6 players listed on their roster
Just for reference, I looked at the coaches preseason poll last year and they were way too high on Oregon State & UCLA and way too low on WSU & Utah, so it is never easy.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
1. SC
2. LSU
3. UGA
4. FL
5. TN
6. MISS ST
7.ARK
8.TAMU
The teams above will make the tournament
9. KY
10. Ole Miss
11. ALA
12. Mizzou
13. Vandy
14. Auburn
Rationale for TN at 5?? Just interested in your opinion.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
1. SC
2. TN
3. LSU
4. GA
5. FL
6. AR
7. TAMU
8. Miss ST
9. KY
10. Ole Miss
11. Vandy
12. AL
13. Mizzou
14. Auburn

Reaction Score
I don't mean to step on SCspur's toes by trying to think of some rationale, but here goes (I will preface by stating that I will have TN 2nd next week).

The LVs had some really bad losses after they lost Keyen and before they lost Horston -- Auburn, Alabama, Florida (moreso the margin of defeat), & the Paige-less Huskies (once again margin); therefore, getting Jordan back might not be the entire answer. Rickea certainly carried the Bulldogs to many victories, especially the latter part of her freshman year, but she often gets in black-hole mode after her initial footwork. Sometimes she is cold and sometimes the on-ball defense is excellent, which leads to a lot of shots with a low %. Curiously, on D her reactionary footwork isn't as good (and has issues with help D -- ask your old friend Annie), but she somewhat makes up for it with her long arms resulting in steals, deflections, & highlight reel blocks. They have added so many quality pieces, but sometimes it takes time for those to gel. I think that they will work out the kinks in non-conference play and be strong in SEC games. I just don't see anyone other than SC coming close to matching their talent and individual experience.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I don't mean to step on SCspur's toes by trying to think of some rationale, but here goes (I will preface by stating that I will have TN 2nd next week).

The LVs had some really bad losses after they lost Keyen and before they lost Horston -- Auburn, Alabama, Florida (moreso the margin of defeat), & the Paige-less Huskies (once again margin); therefore, getting Jordan back might not be the entire answer. Rickea certainly carried the Bulldogs to many victories, especially the latter part of her freshman year, but she often gets in black-hole mode after her initial footwork. Sometimes she is cold and sometimes the on-ball defense is excellent, which leads to a lot of shots with a low %. Curiously, on D her reactionary footwork isn't as good (and has issues with help D -- ask your old friend Annie), but she somewhat makes up for it with her long arms resulting in steals, deflections, & highlight reel blocks. They have added so many quality pieces, but sometimes it takes time for those to gel. I think that they will work out the kinks in non-conference play and be strong in SEC games. I just don't see anyone other than SC coming close to matching their talent and individual experience.
Agreed it may take time for some pieces to gel. But I also agree I just don’t see anyone other than SC and maybe LSU matching their talent level. It’s interesting to me that LSU also has a lot of new pieces that need to gel but more people seem to be overlooking that for them while that is the main criticism of the LVs. Also, I think Powell being able to handle the PG position and allowing Walker to play off the ball will pay dividends for us. We all know Walker isn’t a true PG and coughed up thr ball under any type of pressure many times. Same for Horston. Plus TK has help in the paint now with Franklin and Hollingshed so hoping she will be much more aggressive while she is in. I’m hoping by SEC time they will have worked out all the kinks. This is by far the most talented roster Coach Harper has had. Let’s see what she can do with it.

Reaction Score
Agreed it may take time for some pieces to gel. But I also agree I just don’t see anyone other than SC and maybe LSU matching their talent level. It’s interesting to me that LSU also has a lot of new pieces that need to gel but more people seem to be overlooking that for them while that is the main criticism of the LVs. Also, I think Powell being able to handle the PG position and allowing Walker to play off the ball will pay dividends for us. We all know Walker isn’t a true PG and coughed up thr ball under any type of pressure many times. Same for Horston. Plus TK has help in the paint now with Franklin and Hollingshed so hoping she will be much more aggressive while she is in. I’m hoping by SEC time they will have worked out all the kinks. This is by far the most talented roster Coach Harper has had. Let’s see what she can do with it.
Completely concur with your in-depth analysis. I had only mentioned the top 2 players and it was already lengthy. IMO, how Powell runs the team will be best indicator of their success. Regardless of depth, Key still needs to work on not getting into foul trouble because she brings a unique skill set to the team. I'll reiterate my final comment that only SC can match (exceed) their talent and individual experience.

Reaction Score
The difference is Kim, until Coach Harper has shown for a number of years the ability to coach up her players, she won'get the same credit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Biggest reason why Tennessee might not be an elite team: shooting

Stats from 21-22 season:

Jordan Horston* 38% FG 28% 3FG
Jordan Walker 34% FG 25% 3FG
Jasmine Powell* 32% FG 31% 3FG
Rickea Jackson* 41% FG 24% 3FG
Brooklyn Miles 39% FG 23% 3FG

*Horston (24 games), Powell (19 games), Jackson (15 games).

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm sure had Jackson and Horston played a full season. Then the numbers would be a bit different. Should be fun seeing them play together. A BIG reason Tennessee can be elite. Key and Hollingshead on the court together. Who's going inside?

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Biggest reason why Tennessee might not be an elite team: shooting

Stats from 21-22 season:

Jordan Horston* 38% FG 28% 3FG
Jordan Walker 34% FG 25% 3FG
Jasmine Powell* 32% FG 31% 3FG
Rickea Jackson* 41% FG 24% 3FG
Brooklyn Miles 39% FG 23% 3FG

*Horston (24 games), Powell (19 games), Jackson (15 games).
Thanks for the stats. Wondering what the stats are for the rest of the sec teams. Are there any teams bringing back better returning player stats other than SC?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure had Jackson and Horston played a full season. Then the numbers would be a bit different. Should be fun seeing them play together. A BIG reason Tennessee can be elite. Key and Hollingshead on the court together. Who's going inside?
Well, no they wouldn't.

Jackson's overall shooting percentage during the 20-21 season was better (41%) but she still shot 29% on 3-pointers. The more 3-point shots she's taken the lower her shooting % has been.

Horston has been an inefficient scorer since arriving at Tennessee. For the 20-21 season she shot 35%/28% and for the 19-20 season she shot 39%/30%.

I haven't even mentioned the turnovers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for the stats. Wondering what the stats are for the rest of the sec teams. Are there any teams bringing back better returning player stats other than SC?
I'm not sure. I expect Tennessee to finish top 3 in the SEC.

I was really thinking about Tennessee as a Final Four/national championship contender. The shooting %s and turnovers by the guards have to improve.

Reaction Score
Rationale for TN at 5?? Just interested in your opinion.

I think FL and UGA has good talent and coaching that imo sets them equal to TN. They may well finish way higher but for right now that’s where I see them.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well, no they wouldn't.

Jackson's overall shooting percentage during the 20-21 season was better (41%) but she still shot 29% on 3-pointers. The more 3-point shots she's taken the lower her shooting % has been.

Horston has been an inefficient scorer since arriving at Tennessee. For the 20-21 season she shot 35%/28% and for the 19-20 season she shot 39%/30%.

I haven't even mentioned the turnovers.
Jackson made it clear. The reason for the transfer was due to culture. Yes having different coaches maybe part of that. Had Vic stayed she probably would still be there.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. I expect Tennessee to finish top 3 in the SEC.

I was really thinking about Tennessee as a Final Four/national championship contender. The shooting %s and turnovers by the guards have to improve.
Agreed. Guard play has to be better for sure.

Reaction Score
For anyone predicting the B1G - be advised. Rutgers is advertising for walk-ons. Looks like fewer than 10 scholarship players on their roster:

What a come down for this program.... Kinda sad. Hopefully temporary, though.

Reaction Score
Big pickup for Florida. I would swap them and UGA now but I’m staying with my SEC picks.

You can swap if you'd like. The Gators have 4 solid incoming transfers. She has definitely had her moments for Mississippi State and Texas (@ Stanford & tourney game vs. Utah come to mind)

Reaction Score
LSU has a lot to figure out working in a bunch of new faces. Sure they are talented but even Kim was doing a interview this week and said talent doesn't mean much if they aren't on the same page. Hopefully Kim can fix LSU's defense this year. Ironically Kim's teams usually are known for their defenses but that was a disaster last year, granted it was year one and they didn't have players who could play man to man well (was zone essentially during the Nikki era). Only thing I know is Reese and Morris are starters with the rest wide open. I think post play will be dramatically different though when you compare Ladazhia and Reese to Newby/Aifuwa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom