Potentially moving to Tampa, questions for those familiar with the city | The Boneyard

Potentially moving to Tampa, questions for those familiar with the city

Reaction Score
My partner and I are strongly considering moving to Tampa from the northeast for 4+ years to do our medical residency training. The program seemed excellent on Zoom however neither of us have even visited the city before, so we are planning on road tripping down in early February to explore before we actually pull the trigger.

I'm hoping for any recommendations regarding food, things to do (understanding COVID changes the game of course), beach recommendations and especially lodging suggestions. We'll be in town for ~10 days and have something reserved on Air BnB but prices were a bit steeper than we anticipated (perhaps due to the superbowl, more likely I anticipated ignorantly), and am wondering if anyone has leads or suggestions on condos/apartments for a week and a half stay?

Thanks in advance, go huskies!

(I should mention we have had both vaccine doses and are necessarily precautious about illness exposures, hence us driving down instead of flying)

If anyone happens to disc golf, I am bringing my discs and planning to try out a local course or two, and would love the hear your favorites!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Suggest giving Tom Brady a call. He recently made the same move.

In all seriousness, other than going to Busch Gardens as a kid, I have nothing.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Clearwater beach and st pete's beach are great. Ybor city is the primary touristy spot (that's not a theme park).

Are you going to be at Tampa General by any chance? Once of my former employees is now working there. I have two work colleagues who live in Tampa, if you have more specific questions I can pass them along.

Reaction Score
Clearwater beach and st pete's beach are great. Ybor city is the primary touristy spot (that's not a theme park).

Are you going to be at Tampa General by any chance? Once of my former employees is now working there. I have two work colleagues who live in Tampa, if you have more specific questions I can pass them along.
Thanks! Those two both keep coming up, so we'll be sure to hit both of those beaches. We're staying in Seminole Heights, which I've read is also a nice area, and potentially a spot that might be attractive to live in.

I'd be at Tampa General primarily, and also the VA. Do you know if your former employee likes TGH? What do they do? If anything specific comes up I'll definitely reach out, thanks for the offer!

Reaction Score
I don’t know much about Tampa but I’ll second the Clearwater Beach recommendation. The north side is a younger crowd and there are a few bars on/near the beach. The south side is more for families.

If you are a baseball fan, there are a bunch of options for minor leagues and spring training. The Rays stadium is awful, but I think you get free season tickets for flying into TPA.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Thanks! Those two both keep coming up, so we'll be sure to hit both of those beaches. We're staying in Seminole Heights, which I've read is also a nice area, and potentially a spot that might be attractive to live in.

I'd be at Tampa General primarily, and also the VA. Do you know if your former employee likes TGH? What do they do? If anything specific comes up I'll definitely reach out, thanks for the offer!
He's a PACS admin there. I tangentially know at least one of their radiologists and probably a few.

Reaction Score
Downtown Clearwater definitely seems to be a destination spot. Maybe find Tom Cruise or John Travolta hanging out around there, if they don't live there already.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Downtown Clearwater definitely seems to be a destination spot. Maybe find Tom Cruise or John Travolta hanging out around there, if they don't live there already.
But not Leah Remini.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Strange to be bumping this thread. I have long discounted Florida as a location. I don't like hot humid weather and it has always seemed so "modern sprawl" and lacking in character.

That said, in the event I can convince my Boston born wife to make Florida a snowbird residence, I need good arguments. She loves concerts and looking at Florida, it seems Tampa has an amphitheater that is similar to the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, MA and Raymond James Stadium hosts the big stadium events. Plus several smaller venues all over the area.

So where, in and around Tampa, is there housing on more than a postage stamp lot, along with some actual character? Don't mind being further out if it accomplishes that. Anyplace with something like a walkable downtown?

Reaction Score
Tampa/St. Pete are kind of awesome. It’s definitely really flat and strip mally but the beaches are crazy nice. If you like the water, golf fishing and kayaking it’s tough to beat. Even when it’s really hot it doesn’t seem so bad. I also got the worst sunburn of my life there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom