Post game vs. Xavier (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post game vs. Xavier (merged)

Reaction Score
Geez, that’s what he did, give Piath and Amari more time in the last two games. Piath started and played the entire Q4.

Geno needed to get the first 6-7 players sorted out before starting to give big minutes to Piath and Amari. Once the 30, 45, 50 point leads were set, they got minutes. While that’s important, it was more important to get his first 6 playing well together so that he knows that it things go south with the team late in the game, Geno can put someone - Nika, Caroline, Christyn - back in and set the team to rights again.
Disagree. I know what "real" minutes are! People know things. People can offer insight into what they see.
Do we need to rehash why we had to live through the Georgia Tech game after we were hit by injuries. We have a roster of HS stars that need real game experience, so they can contribute to this program.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geez, that’s what he did, give Piath and Amari more time in the last two games. Piath started and played the entire Q4.

Geno needed to get the first 6-7 players sorted out before starting to give big minutes to Piath and Amari. Once the 30, 45, 50 point leads were set, they got minutes. While that’s important, it was more important to get his first 6 playing well together so that he knows that it things go south with the team late in the game, Geno can put someone - Nika, Caroline, Christyn - back in and set the team to rights again.
Which he did when he replaced Amari with Liv late in the game. Amari did a couple of things wrong on offense even though she had a couple of good blocks on defense. I think it was a good move, he has some good things to talk to her about but needs to stress the bad even more.

Reaction Score
Another superb game by ONO and is’t it time for her to get some street cred as an overall defensive force? She is very important to this team’s success.

The ramp up in defensive intensity is a crucial to this team and if they need Nika to perform at that level then great but what really counts is performing against top competition. They need to channel Nika when Nika isn’t playing. I think they can. I like what I’m seeing a lot. When CW, Paige, Caroline et al are all in Nika mode defensive intensity this is a tremendous team.

I think this team can play at top 4 level even without Paige. If we played Louisville or Tennessee right now I like our chances. I saw DePaul yesterday. Not concerned about losing any big east games.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I can't imagine running your half-court offense would cause an issue, particularly when UConn could have had a number of easy transition baskets in the last few minutes, but chose instead to slow it down. As for Nika, she annoys everybody she plays against.....:rolleyes:
I agree re the offense. I was grasping for straws.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is an appropriate question or not but here goes. In the past it seemed like one BYer (would start the Post Game thread but this season there seems to be a "race" to post it. I know this is my problem but there are times when the thread is posted by a user that has (rightfully so) Ignored me so that I cannot participant in the thread.
Ignored is ignored, period.

@meyers7: Ignore button is for the weak. for those that can't handle opinions differing from their own. Stand up for yourself.
Speak up, let your voice be heard. Don't cower in the the corner wishing for rainbows and unicorns. Be willing to wade into the deep end, smell the sweet slaughter of the sheep.

@CocoHusky: Start your own post game thread!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Another superb game by ONO and is’t it time for her to get some street cred as an overall defensive force? She is very important to this team’s success.
Thank you!

Reaction Score
Speeding up the play on defense and pushing the ball up the court offense certainly seems to make us look like good basketball team again. Nika seems to be responsible for that but I think Geno is demanding it now that he has a rotation. Seems like the idea of hoist em up 3 point shots seems to be a favorite with the bigs getting involved as well. I like the play where Aaliyah get the ball in the right corner off some low post-screening for open jumpers seemed effective. Do I dare say it that Piath looks pretty good in the Post? Carolyn does a lot of things well. Steals, rebounds making three's she is definitely a keeper in the starting lineup. Now the competition picks up and the question is will the boneyard stay positive or revert back to its whining about every player and the coaching staff. I think we are a top 15 team without Paige but a top 5 with her. Let's go Huskies

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I kinda wish that we were better able to feed the ball to Dorka and Aaliyah when they have posted up under the basket. Early in the games they seem able to post up but can't get the ball. They work so hard and don't get rewarded enough.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@meyers7: Ignore button is for the weak. for those that can't handle opinions differing from their own. Stand up for yourself.
Speak up, let your voice be heard. Don't cower in the the corner wishing for rainbows and unicorns. Be willing to wade into the deep end, smell the sweet slaughter of the sheep.

@CocoHusky: Start your own post game thread!
I don’t think @meyers7 has any problems standing up for himself.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What did Geno say post-game?

it reminds him a little bit (at times) of UConn BB ...(definitely paraphrased by me).
Geno and I are certainly not seeing the team's progress through as much Rose-colored specs as Erik and Dude.

Positives:
1. Aggressive D by all with limited fouling...yeah.

2. The homegrown seniors led...really aggressive and persistent; very significant.
It will be much more significant if they can duplicate that effort and results in
games against "real" competition.

3. Other than that absolutely bonehead defensive play to end the half, E looks like
she is coming out of her funk.

4. What a difference having an extra guard off the bench brings. Team does not
seem shorthanded...

Negatives:

1. 28-20-14-16....noted by Eric...will not get it done against better teams;
score intensity must be sustained throughout. It is not a winning formula to
score almost as much in the 1st quarter as you do for the entire 2nd half.

2. Dorka was free in the post, with good position throughout the first half and
no one passed her the ball...even Meg noticed it...you don't want to discourage
that kid.

3. Still, way too many bonehead passes and not enough combination plays that
get someone open at mid-range or closer.

This team continues to be a work in progress...but surely improving

Games against teams like Oregon and Tennessee will be super valuable, win or lose.
Another beatdown by SC less so...these are teams that at this moment, we are at approximately a similar level...They will be more useful in judging our progress than the last two games.

If we win (both) it will be a step up, if we lose both...don't fret...Geno is taking the long view with this group and so should we..

Every decent team on our schedule is chomping at the bit for their one chance in decades to take down the champs. Soon, that window will close.

Reaction Score
I must have ignored the "doctor" threads regarding Azzi. I do know more about disks than I ever did before.
What's wrong with Azzi? (I apologize if this has been exhaustively discussed) I played college hoops and I ran a dozen marathons and I never heard of missing 2 months with a "sore foot". Break, ligament tear, stress fracture, yes. Sore foot, no.
Please help. Frustrated in Alaska.
She has a stress reaction in her foot. Essentially it is a stress fracture before the actual fracture occurs. Ironically, it’s incredibly common amongst marathon runners, except most ignore it until the fracture occurs. When we heard the news I figured 6-8 weeks, as that’s been my own experience with the injury…twice!

Reaction Score
Not post game per se but pertinent to a going forward discussion; the idea that Fudd and Bueckers are going to magically step on the court and play their “best ball“ IMO is patently unfair to both of them.
Bueckers obviously has left an extremely high standard to live up to and is coming back from a pretty serious injury and who knows how much the leg muscles have atrophied between the crutches and brace.
If Fudd really has not played consistently for a couple of years she should be allowed the time to work the inevitable rust off, that of course, hinging on that the time off has allowed her to get her legs under her enough to compete at this level.
Expectations for both should be fairly and realistically tempered, again just my opinion.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I must have ignored the "doctor" threads regarding Azzi. I do know more about disks than I ever did before.
What's wrong with Azzi? (I apologize if this has been exhaustively discussed) I played college hoops and I ran a dozen marathons and I never heard of missing 2 months with a "sore foot". Break, ligament tear, stress fracture, yes. Sore foot, no.
Please help. Frustrated in Alaska.
Azzi’s problem has been described as a “stress reaction” in her foot. She has been resting it for several weeks so it doesn’t turn into a stress fracture. The latest news we have is that Azzi has been running on a treadmill.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nika - Yea verily!!!!!! :)

CW - Maybe she's feeding off Nika's demonstrative energy - not sure, but what ever it is, Perhaps Geno not starting a senior got CW attention. Or it is just Nika's energy!

Dorka - sub par game from her today. She needs velcro on her hands. So many rebounds and bobbles when she received a pass that led to missed opportunities ... she can do better. Absolutely!

Evina - coming off the bench suits her. If Azzi comes off the bench delivering better results and greater energy, Evina's minutes may shrink even more.

Piath and Amari need game experience to improve.

Bottom line a nice game from start to finish. Bring on Oregon - that will be a great test to see where we are at... A test it will be!
Thanks for your input!

Reaction Score
After today's game, less concerned about the defense, which played well collectively and individually, than the offense, especially in a half-court set/zone. Still too much perimeter passing (with no purpose) and the teams still struggles to get the ball inside consistently (or when they want). If UConn struggles doing this against Creighton-level talent, its going to be a big struggle against better talent. The guards seem unsure how to get the ball inside - either by passing or driving and dishing. Or, the ball is forced inside resulting in turnovers. If UConn has to rely on 3-point shooting, they wont go far. Bottom-line: The team has to find a way to generate more consistent, "easy" points in half-court sets. Oregon will be a great test to see where they are!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Xavier game:
  • I really like UConn coming out with a pressure defense that leads to turnovers, while speeding up the tempo of the game. Xavier had 6 TO’s in the first 5 minutes of the game as UConn raced out to a double-digit lead and never looked back.
  • Liv has played two of her very best games back-to-back. More importantly, she is making really good decisions and then executing like you expect from a senior: when to help on defense, when to go after a shot block and not swinging down in the process, getting the break started off a defensive rebound, flashing into the lane for a strong position in the low blocks at the right time for her teammates to execute the entry pass. I love what Liv is giving this Husky team right now.
  • Nika’s energy and effort is relentless. She caused all kinds of problems for Xavier today. If Nika can only find her outside shooting stroke again, it will take UConn to another level.
  • I sincerely hope that Caroline never, ever develops a conscience when it comes to hoisting up shots. She is just one of those players like KML or Lou that could miss 4 or 5 in a row and then starts lighting it up.
  • OK. Who had Piath & Amari making their first 5 shots after going 1 for 11 against Creighton? :cool:
  • A few weeks back, following Paige’s injury, I wasn’t particularly hopeful about UConn’s ability to win tough OOC games. There are still some rough edges, but with each and every game this team gets a little better. I am now officially excited about Evina’s homecoming game in Eugene on Monday. Bring on the Ducks!!!
Your comment on Caroline: She had great training. Of all the Freshmen, AZZI excluded (cuz I don't know but one game from her), Caroline is my idea of a Basketball player. Yes, she can score but the total game from her, from the moment the ball goes up until she leaves the floors she is moving, defending, passing, and scoring. I won't say she's thinking because some of Basketball is rote, some in thinking, some is conditioning, and some is coaching. I believe Caroline has it all. Geno's words about Caroline sums it up: he'd like 6 more of her. (not an exact quote).
Nika: Intense. Reminds me a bit of Whalen. Seemingly out of control, controlled. She has only one speed--full out. One intensity--all out. She is NOT Geno's greatest, nor most following practices (I would think). In games that Geno wants to push the tempo--NIKA MUHL is the medicine.
If I didn't say it: Oldude, really nice summation of a game UC fans had to love.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Xavier game:
  • I really like UConn coming out with a pressure defense that leads to turnovers, while speeding up the tempo of the game. Xavier had 6 TO’s in the first 5 minutes of the game as UConn raced out to a double-digit lead and never looked back.
  • Liv has played two of her very best games back-to-back. More importantly, she is making really good decisions and then executing like you expect from a senior: when to help on defense, when to go after a shot block and not swinging down in the process, getting the break started off a defensive rebound, flashing into the lane for a strong position in the low blocks at the right time for her teammates to execute the entry pass. I love what Liv is giving this Husky team right now.
  • Nika’s energy and effort is relentless. She caused all kinds of problems for Xavier today. If Nika can only find her outside shooting stroke again, it will take UConn to another level.
  • I sincerely hope that Caroline never, ever develops a conscience when it comes to hoisting up shots. She is just one of those players like KML or Lou that could miss 4 or 5 in a row and then starts lighting it up.
  • OK. Who had Piath & Amari making their first 5 shots after going 1 for 11 against Creighton? :cool:
  • A few weeks back, following Paige’s injury, I wasn’t particularly hopeful about UConn’s ability to win tough OOC games. There are still some rough edges, but with each and every game this team gets a little better. I am now officially excited about Evina’s homecoming game in Eugene on Monday. Bring on the Ducks!!!
Thanks for your insights!

Reaction Score
After today's game, less concerned about the defense, which played well collectively and individually, than the offense, especially in a half-court set/zone. Still too much perimeter passing (with no purpose) and the teams still struggles to get the ball inside consistently (or when they want). If UConn struggles doing this against Creighton-level talent, its going to be a big struggle against better talent. The guards seem unsure how to get the ball inside - either by passing or driving and dishing. Or, the ball is forced inside resulting in turnovers. If UConn has to rely on 3-point shooting, they wont go far. Bottom-line: The team has to find a way to generate more consistent, "easy" points in half-court sets. Oregon will be a great test to see where they are!
I understand your comment is about THIS game only. The defense against the X team isn't going to be as effective against an Arizona, Louisville, SC, we'll see Oregon, others in the top 20. They deserve our praise for the distance they have come since Georgia Tech but I'm more reserved about where they stand against the best. Geno's teams for most of the past 30 years have been the Standard for the Best. I accept these past 2 games are steps forward but Uconn just isn't there yet, wherever "there" is? For me, along with effective size, I thought Uconn W was missing 3 point shooting. If the rebounding is working if only a bit, I'd be pleased if Geno's ladies hit this many 3's against Louisville or SC, These past 3 games have shown Geno has a couple of kids that can keep a zone honest.

Reaction Score
Just a point of reference, but not a perfect
means of comparison and ( for DePaul)
prediction
DePaul defeated Xavier 103 - 85
Creighton defeated Xavier 67 - 51
One IMO accurate take away is that DePaul
does not play defense! Any other ideas about
the UCONN / Depaul / Creighton / Xavier
scoring comparison?

Reaction Score
She has a stress reaction in her foot. Essentially it is a stress fracture before the actual fracture occurs. Ironically, it’s incredibly common amongst marathon runners, except most ignore it until the fracture occurs. When we heard the news I figured 6-8 weeks, as that’s been my own experience with the injury…twice!
great job! Thanks

Reaction Score
I
It goes without saying--so I'll say it anyway: It was apparent to me the 2 you mentioned had intense one on one practices for this game. Comparing recent game time both were weeks away from their previous "game" skill application levels. I'm impressed with Geno's apparent success with both of them, and how different they played today. Yes, winning by 30 has some benefits for the entire team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom