Possible portal targets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
Didn’t we hear from someone from Syracuse that the thought of staying home and playing for UConn was a thought for Van Dyke?

I didn't hear that. He'd be a solid get though. He was really good in 2021. My only concern would be that he's not at all mobile

Reaction Score
I think we still have a chance based on our head coach, schedule, facilities, and brand name in college sports. We are more P5 than 40% of P5 programs.
The kid specifically mentioned a competitive P5 school, not just any P5.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear that. He'd be a solid get though. He was really good in 2021. My only concern would be that he's not at all mobile
D2EFA41D-4117-4906-B52B-B66CA300060C.png

Reaction Score

I mean, every transfer's preference is to go to a winning Power Five school, isn't it? I don't know if we have a chance at this dude, but I will say this: Very few or none of the guys we end up getting will have picked UConn over a winning P5 program.

Reaction Score
I mean, every transfer's preference is to go to a winning Power Five school, isn't it? I don't know if we have a chance at this dude, but I will say this: Very few or none of the guys we end up getting will have picked UConn over a winning P5 program.

I don't really care, was just providing context for the folks discussing him. Didn't realize my quoted text didn't drop in.

Mora is currently in on McNamara and Deacon Hill via the Twitter. Which of course means nothing until it means something.

Reaction Score
Twitter connections

Card - Valente
Muskett (Monmouth) - Petrarca, Charlton, Sammis
Connor Bazelak (Indiana) - Davidson
Alex Padilla (Iowa) - Petrarca
Paddock () - none
Chandler Rogers (ULM) - none
Christian Veilleux (PSU) - Petrarca, Valente
Macon (Mizzou) - none
Malik Hornsby (Ark) - Davidson

Reaction Score
Twitter connections

Card - Valente
Muskett (Monmouth) - Petrarca, Charlton, Sammis
Connor Bazelak (Indiana) - Davidson
Alex Padilla (Iowa) - Petrarca
Paddock () - none
Chandler Rogers (ULM) - none
Christian Veilleux (PSU) - Petrarca, Valente
Macon (Mizzou) - none
Malik Hornsby (Ark) - Davidson
Muskett is interesting. Racking up G5 offers.

Reaction Score
I have no reason to think we will get serious looks from any one of the group of QBs mentioned, but I will say this: for those of you who thought Zion Turner is a locked in starter going forward, you may want to reevaluate your opinions. He may still start, and improve, and lead us to more and more wins -- that would be fine with me -- but I think it's clear that Mora intends to take this program a long way very quickly and would add anyone through the portal who he thinks will help him do that. At any position. And there is certainly room for us to be improved at QB.

Reaction Score
It's rare that any QB thinks this way so we need to get him:
"His priorities are winning and finding a place that fits his skill set to continue to develop."
wikipedia says In Card's first start, he went 14-for-21 on pass attempts, threw for 224 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no interceptions in the 38-18 win over Louisiana-Lafayette. However, Card lost the starting job after a poor performance in a 40-21 blowout loss versus Arkansas

Reaction Score
I had a high school coach who at Every year end sports banquet would bemoan the lack of members on his teams. He’d start out saying we really needed more people to be competive with others in our league. Then he would say “So those of you who are on other teams and not getting playing time you want, I have a suggestion.…in the off season work on your skills and get into great shape so you can earn more next year.” Maybe Card should follow that advice?

Reaction Score
I had a high school coach who at Every year end sports banquet would bemoan the lack of members on his teams. He’d start out saying we really needed more people to be competive with others in our league. Then he would say “So those of you who are on other teams and not getting playing time you want, I have a suggestion.…in the off season work on your skills and get into great shape so you can earn more next year.” Maybe Card should follow that advice?
Edsall was your HSFB coach?

Reaction Score
I have no reason to think we will get serious looks from any one of the group of QBs mentioned, but I will say this: for those of you who thought Zion Turner is a locked in starter going forward, you may want to reevaluate your opinions. He may still start, and improve, and lead us to more and more wins -- that would be fine with me -- but I think it's clear that Mora intends to take this program a long way very quickly and would add anyone through the portal who he thinks will help him do that. At any position. And there is certainly room for us to be improved at QB.
Maybe we don't get any of these QBs. However, if you look at 247 recruiting rankings, then you'll see that at UCLA Mora outrecruited what Chip Kelly has done there and Mora got a few surprise transfers last year and Turner as a late commit. Assuming that we can match NIL money that other schools offer to these QBs, then I think we will get one of them.

Reaction Score
Quite honestly no position should be guaranteed to anyone, especially when you're just getting started getting a FBS program back on track...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He'd be negligent to do otherwise. That's the landscape today. It'll be interesting as a metric to track portal +/- going forward.

Reaction Score
It's rare that any QB thinks this way so we need to get him:
"His priorities are winning and finding a place that fits his skill set to continue to develop."
It’s already been pointed out here, but it clearly says he wants to go to a P5 school.

Reaction Score
It’s already been pointed out here, but it clearly says he wants to go to a P5 school.
Players don't think of independent schools. they just think G5, P5, and FCS etc. He won't go to UConn, but I think he meant that he doesn't want North Texas and Arkansas state etc contacting him because he wants to compete against top teams and have top coaching. He would likely consider schools like notre dame, BYU, and uconn that provide the same opportunities as most P5 schools in regards to facilities, coaching, and schedule.

Reaction Score
I was joking about how everybody says they want to win and go where their skills will fare the best.

Proves my wife is right when she says some things don't translate well in emails or other communications that aren't face to face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom